The Most Underrated Characters

The_Fetus_Ninja

Lets go, bub!
Have you ever thought a supporting character in a series was exceptionally deep or well developed? Was this character a great fighter or a linguist. Did they come into the series, find a place in your heart, and then suddenly die or leave indeffinately?
One such example is Judeau. Hes kind, welcomes Guts immediately, is an accomplished fighter and a surprisingly well developed character for how long he stays in the series. Even though he was secretly in love with Caska he forgoes his feelings and directs Guts to her. He stayed the coarse till the end a true Hawk at hear.

Ok discuss!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Judeau isn't underrated... Just ask any one of the female members of the board or even Oliviér (Not implying anything, my Lord).

Uyennie

Next stop: Bedlam!
Walter said:
Judeau isn't underrated... Just ask any one of the female members of the board or even Oliviér (Not implying anything, my Lord).

This might turn out to be an "I love Judeau. Why did he have to die?" thread.
Yup, Judeau is pretty much the most beloved sacrifice.

Why are the women on this board so fond of him?:
Judeau seems like the kind of guy that would remember your favorite flower and give you his jacket on a frosty night. And I'm sure he'll want to stay up nights and talk to you about your day..... :D 'nough said!

As for most underrated, I would have liked to know more about Pippen. Though he's the strong, silent type, it's too bad we didn't get a chance to know more about his inner workings. (Especially since he showed the kind of bravery and loyalty to his friends - fighting side by side with Guts against the Black Dogs and helping to save Caska during the Feast).

The_Fetus_Ninja

Lets go, bub!
well i didn't intend for it to be an "I love Judeau post" I was merely stating an example. I actually meant characters from other manga, movies, comic books, anime etc... maybe i should have clarified :-\

Uyennie

Next stop: Bedlam!
The_Fetus_Ninja said:
well i didn't intend for it to be an "I love Judeau post" I was merely stating an example. I actually meant characters from other manga, movies, comic books, anime etc... maybe i should have clarified :-\

Any reason for an "I love Judeau" post is perfectly fine with me!! I'm always looking for an opportunity. ;D

Honestly there are so many memoriable moments/characters in the manga...One that i will always remenber is Jill at the end she looks at the sky and in her mind (that we get to read) are some of the most poetic words in the magna...

Judeau a must what he does at the end is so unselfish and not even voicing his feelings to caska...

With all these side stories of many memoriable characters it seems that humanity is always present in these stories...

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Walter said:
It's very true. He's one of the most popular characters in Japan. Unfortunately, the statue AOW came out with doesn't do him justice.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
probably Corkus, I hated him most of the time he was there, but his role was important and he was funny. I love when he gets to "lead the charge" and he messes it up hehe.

Then Luka, I think she is well liked but does not get that much fandom or mention, even though she is very brave and determined. Kind of like a kinder non-violent version of Gatsu.

Then Ishidoro, again he is liked, but not mentioned that much, and I've never seen a fanart of him or anything. Though he is hilarious and has already performed like at least 5 rescues I think of critical characters. He is the man.

and I agree with Uyennie about Pippen too.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Yeah, I was going to say Pippin too. I actually found his death much more depressing than Judeau's for some reason.

Rakshas (sp?) is also underrated. I guess that is to be expected as he is an underdeveloped character at this point in the manga, but from what we see of him, he is a badass. (And I still can't help but wonder what happened after the end of vol. 24 when Rakshas was planning on killing Griffith...I remember Zodd looking up like he was sensing something, but then Zodd appeared in the attack on Flora's house. I wonder if Rakshas is already captured at this point or something?)

Godo and Azan are definitely underrated too.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Crap, if anyone is underrated, its boscon. Even though his time in the manga was short, he DID beat guts in a duel. If guts didn't have zodd's help, he would be dead. People overrate samson but leave out boscon... *sigh* :-\

nir085

Horse and Armor
ROFL, yes, if there was a "most overrated character" thread, I'd post Samson's name 30 times. What's the deal with people rating the fat, dumb brother of Adon so highly? He didn't even last an episode.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Rickert.

Judeau provided warmth and compassion to the BoH experience, Pippin was the deep running, quiet waters, Corkus was the comic relief and hopeful pessimist, Caska, the strength and vulnerability that could hold them all together when the brightest light (Griffith) was taken away, and Guts was our eyes to see it all through.

It's no wonder he lost an eye. Everything worth looking at was either dead or defiled. The only one left untouched was Rickert, youthful hope and enthusiasm. Honestly, if he'd been killed, there'd be no point in this series going on as long as it has.

He MADE the Arm Cannon and repeating crossbow fer cryin' out loud! Sure, his contributions pale in comparison to the Dragon Slayer, especially now that it's become a magical weapon, but that crossbow saved Guts' ass from pesky human lackeys several times. The Arm Cannon needs no defending. It stands on its own merits. But does Rickert have every fangirl out there gushing? Does anybody remember him, or do we all engage in Skull Knight speculation instead, because "he's pivotal to the story,without him Guts would be dead."? Well so's Rickert, and I think it's time he got a little more respect. >:(

Judo

Midlands finest
nir085 said:
Rakshas (sp?)
(And I still can't help but wonder what happened after the end of vol. 24 when Rakshas was planning on killing Griffith...I remember Zodd looking up like he was sensing something, but then Zodd appeared in the attack on Flora's house. I wonder if Rakshas is already captured at this point or something?)

Rakshas didn't want to kill Griffith at that time. He was killing some Kushans that were trying to assasinate Griffith. Zodd was just looking up because he heard that.
Furthermore we have already seen Rakshas infiltrating
Windham-castle after this incident so its clear that he isn't arrested or something.

Top Bottom