Does anyone else hate Ishidoro and puck "Silly mode"?

Trann

I'm a llama!
I hate it, i really don't feel that berserk needs a "comical relief"..
Maybe the translations are just bad or something but i have never once found anything they say funny, plus i really hate the way they are drawn when they are supposed to be "funny"....

Trannn

nir085

Horse and Armor
Initially I did not like Puck or Ishidiro, but together they are so...adorable (god it felt weird to say that). The only problem that I have with their humor is how you can't read what the hell they are actually saying.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NO NO NO

How can you say that...
I love it the way it is right now, b/c they are the comic relief and w/o them it would just be too harsh which it is already, but w/o them the magna would be missing one critical aspect of good magna...Laughter...

Honestly I really do like them and would not like to part with them...

:-\ :-\ :-\

B

Beave

Initially, I wasn't too much of a fan of Puck or Ishidoro either-- I still think Puck was largely unneeded in the earliest issues..... The way he "framed/viewed" Guts for the reader was too simple and obvious-- making statements about how cruel or dark he was, etc. No subtlety. As for Ishidoro, back when they introduced him, I thought he was far too much like the kid from Ruroni Kenshin-- just there for simple comic relief, with no real part to play in the personal development of the real main characters.

However, recently, I've found them both not only funny, but useful to the story. The scenes where Guts was practicing sword fighting with Ishidoro I found oddly touching-- reminded me of Guts own youth, made me think of how he is different from Gambino. Or the "you're sort of a little bit of a white swordsman now" comment by Ishidoro very insightful. I think Puck has benefitted from having a more appropriate companion in Ishidoro too. Basically, they play the role of the fool now, to me-- the person that says sort of insightful things through their stupidity or insipidness.....

So I give em some lee way now.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Doppelganger said:
-- I still think Puck was largely unneeded in the earliest issues..... The way he "framed/viewed" Guts for the reader was too simple and obvious-- making statements about how cruel or dark he was, etc.
That's true. Hopefully if there is a second season, the producers will take that into account and begin to introduce him where he is actually required - the Count episodes.
Doppelganger said:
As for Ishidoro, back when they introduced him, I thought he was far too much like the kid from Ruroni Kenshin-- just there for simple comic relief, with no real part to play in the personal development of the real main characters.

However, recently, I've found them both not only funny, but useful to the story. The scenes where Guts was practicing sword fighting with Ishidoro I found oddly touching-- reminded me of Guts own youth, made me think of how he is different from Gambino.
Hehe, yeah, Isidro is definitely the Yahiko of the story. But both of them serve importance to the story because they show what their predecessor's form of training can do when it is used on a different and more modern path.

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
I disagree completely. For me Puck and Ishidro are the great comedy duo of our times, no, of ALL TIMES!!!

P

PsychoJavexx

What about Beavis and Butthead!? Anyway, I said something about this a while ago, about not liking the humor in Berserk. I still don't like Puck and Ishidro as the comic relief.

No, its a good point. Puck and even Ishidoro have there moments occasionally, and with puck in the earlier manga in particular there was a bit but nowhere near as much as there has been in the last 10 volumes or so, I find it wrecks the seriousness of the story at times.

These days you bearly get through 2 pages without one of them making a lame joke, its good occasionally but they should really cut it back 70% because it is a serious manga, and when comic relief is put in that often the seriousness is taken away to a certain degree, it cant be denied.

For me though the worst is when puck is proving he is worth something to Guts and says something like "hey if it wasnt for me this manga would be
too dark" or something, now such a comment would be expected in something like puni puni poemi but i found it bothersome in something like berserk.

Im all for comic relief, but not turning the manga into a action/adventure/horror/comedy.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Yeah, I agree. The characters in Gutts' new party may be stronger than those in the Raiders/Band of the Hawks, but the characters in BOTH are waaay cooler because they don't consistently make corny comments, masturbate to fire, or get raped over and over.

I think it's time for some of these characters to be replaced, at least temporarily.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
I disagree. Sparnage, saying Berserk is a serious manga is pretty useless, imo. Everythings doesn't need to be dark and plain violence about the end of all worlds, this is just a story. As for me, I think it is very important for Berserk to evolve this way. This is life, it can be cruel, sad, but also comic, light and optimistic.

Do we need to have a dark gothic story to be interessed ? Take it as it is and enjoy. That's my bet.

Guil

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Puck's moments have always been one (note, one of many, for anyone being picky) of my favorite things about Berserk. Nothing can be serious all the time, or it'll annoying and old, FAST.

Admittedly, I hated Isidro at first, but he's grown on me as the chapters have gone by. Still not my favorite, but I can stand him.

Guil-BANNED! said:
I disagree. Sparnage, saying Berserk is a serious manga is pretty useless, imo. Everythings doesn't need to be dark and plain violence about the end of all worlds, this is just a story. As for me, I think it is very important for Berserk to evolve this way. This is life, it can be cruel, sad, but also comic, light and optimistic.

Do we need to have a dark gothic story to be interessed ? Take it as it is and enjoy. That's my bet.
Guil

It still is a dark story in most ways, but with much more humor then what it used to be.
Berserk was doing just fine back when it originally started, and had nowhere near the amount of comic relief in it, and when it did it was more funny because not only was it built up from a amount of seriousness to make the comic relief have more of an impact, but also because it suited berserk better back then.
For example; take in volume 1 when Puck makes contact with Guts and sits on his shoulder for a brief second before Guts smacks him off saying "dont touch me, ill mash you" I found that rather funny, dark humour for a dark manga, thats what it is.

Im not saying that it all has to be dark humour, but preferably not childish. One part that crosses my mind is when the group get to Inoku village to get rid of the trolls, the priest says something like they seem more like entertainers then fighters, then Puck starts showing off and juggling his little thingys to affirm the priests words or something, I for one do not believe such childish humour is at all necessary, yet lately it is found through the manga rather regularly.
Whats going to be next? Ishidoro says something stupid or states the obvious then all the characters fall to the ground like in dragon ball z or something? Probably not but it has certainly taken a bit of a tilt towards that kind of manga within the last 3 or 4 years.

Berserk will evolve with characters, story and situations eventually which is what makes it great, but making it more comical is unnecessary for a positive change. I really find it hard to flaw berserk, in my eyes its near perfect but this is something that bothered me a little since it was common.

DoM

I'm a llama!
I agree with Sparnage.
If it's exessive, it looses its effect of suprise.
I'm at Vol.18 so i don't know about the lastest volumes yet. I find the passages with puck so funny (especially the one in Lost Children Arc when he sits on a bird and then get kicked by him^^), but if it's going to be like that every 2 pages... i think there are many other things to show in Berserk.

Malf

You cannot escape YOUR FATE!
A little comedy is ok but it should only be used ocasionaly. I remember watching the anime and the only time i smiled was when gutts and caska are kinda trying to hide there love for eachother from pippin and judo , right befofe rescuing grifith. The manga is using alot more comedy than i like but its still incredable and i will keep reading it untill the end.

Re:Does anyone else hate Isidro and puck "Silly mode"?

Dare I say it, but it could just be that Miura has a small george lucas syndrome?

The extra humor could be for a variety of other reasons, though. He's been doing it for a long, LONG time, despite the fact that he has a studio team shouldering alot of the manual workload now. So, he might be putting in the humor because he likes throwing in puns and cultural jokes to make it more fun for himself.

It might even be because he has a team that he gives them little breaks as they work and lets them have a little fun, considering how much time it takes to make a panel, let alone a page. The comedy stuff is very simple to draw, compared to the more complex work that the rest of the manga is made up of.

It could also be an appeal to a wider audience, getting people that don't like too-serious manga. Marketing influences the product, one way or another.

What it also it could be, and I think it is very likely, is a mood progression of the story. To me the comedy level reflects Guts' own mood and feelings. I think the comedy level from chapter to chapter, volume to volume, story arc to story arc, is an integral part of the story, honestly, and it's masterfully done.

Legend

Unaffected by fate in a world governed by it...
Well a story like berserk needs characters like that to lighten the mood, thought you might not like it other people do. The nature of the manga itself is very dark. Trust me it just wouldnt be the same if it was serious all the time.

The_Fetus_Ninja

Lets go, bub!
Its just to provide some comic relief in an otherwise very serious and grim story. Many artists use it. (anime, playwrights, hell even tv series) You can take it or leave it I guess.

I think Puck is damn funny though. Especially when he "catches" Ishidoro by having Guts sword fall on him.

i dont ming puck's silly mode becuase he makes gutts do some funny things (i.e. pretty please with sugar on top) but i hate ishidoro

i think he put them in there for the purpose of getting different feelings from different people,

some people like puck, some dont,

same for ishidoro,

i guess the main thing to remember is that the story wouldnt be the same without them,

just my thoughts ;D

- c

Top Bottom