Did Guts rape Caska??

B

Beave

You know, some people, occasionally, keep on saying that Guts raped Caska.... I hear this floated around in conversation on the board now and then, in passing. I'm a little confused about that whole incident.

It was not my understanding of the situation that Guts raped Caska. I mean rape as in sex, as in penetration, etc. I really thought he ... physically or emotionally abused her, but it was my understanding that he actually stopped himself before he actually raped her. There is the pic of the Berserk demon/dragon having sex with her, but I didn't take that to mean Guts was doing so-- more that it was a projection of what his mind wanted to do. The Berserker demon is trying to convince Guts throughout the episode to take what he wants, to be like Griffith, and I took that pic to be part of the mental/visual convincing.

Also, right after he "returns to himself" Caska is on the ground and he has some distance from her. Yeah, I guess the "pulling apart" inbetween stages could have just not been shown, but why not? That isn't like Miura. He typically shows everything sexual in detail. Thus, I took the episode to mean that Guts stopped himself before he did the deed, so to speak.

I think this rather imporant to one's understanding of Guts... as he always seems on the verge of letting in to his darker tendencies, but keeps on pulling back just before the brink, as with the armor, where Schierke "found" him, before he was totally lost in the Berserker rage. His actually raping her just doesn't seem to fit into the other character choices he keeps making.

What are other people's opinions on this? Is there a general concencus one way or the other? Or did Miura leave it deliberately inconclusive?

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
When I first looked through that chapter, I thought he did, but upon closer observation I noted that Guts still had all his armor on (including his pants) after he snapped out of his trance.

That scene always freaks me out because it really shows what could happen if Guts gave into the Beast. One interesting point one of my friends brought up was that he thought that scene was done through Caska's point-of-view and showing what she saw. Either way, that scene was really powerful.

B

Beave

nir085 said:
It doesn't matter if he actually did it or not because he definitely came close enough...

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that raping or almost raping someone is the same, but yes, almost raping someone has definite negative repercussions. It is a very dark and troubling scene. Still, raping her = being like Griffith, almost raping her and stopping yourself = understanding you are like Griffith but choosing not to be. There is a big difference there between the two, as I see it.

Trann

I'm a llama!
rape = sex without consent.. some people like violent sex (BDSM/Bondage anyone?)
I never saw anything leading me to think that he didn't have consent from caska

B

Beave

Trann said:
rape = sex without consent.. some people like violent sex (BDSM/Bondage anyone?)
I never saw anything leading me to think that he didn't have consent from caska

I'm a little confused by your statement, but I think you're saying that he raped her, right?

Yes rape = sex without consent, but I just don't think he actually had sex with her, as per the posts discussing this above. I think he saw where he was going, and he stopped himself before he went that far-- thus he's still got his pants and armor on, because they never actually had sex in that scene.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
He didn't rape her. End of story. Take that to heart as if you heard it from God himself. ;)

And Trann is probably talking about volume 9, if not... he sucks. =)

-Griffith

Top Bottom