end of berserk

Xzeno

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Wow that was pretty depressing. I just finished watching the series and I must say I was kind of disappointed. At the end what is that leading to? It looked like it was leading back to the beginning of the story or something where he has one eye and kills that demon. Is that wrong? probably...:p But I'm sad that caska dies and all that. O well someone who's read the manga or something that knows what happens tell me. ;D

First I suggest that you read the FAQ:
http://www.skullknight.net/faq/faq.html

It looked like it was leading back to the beginning of the story or something where he has one eye and kills that demon. Is that wrong? probably...

No, you are right. However the animated version differs in a great many ways from the manga version. The animated story follows the overall chronology of manga volumes 1-13, however the first 3 volumes are condensed basically into the first episode.

But I'm sad that caska dies and all that. O well someone who's read the manga or something that knows what happens tell me.

Casca is far from dead. I highly recommend you pick up manga volumes 12+ for the rest of the story. Or you can read the Berserk FAQ at the link above. It's full of information that is of interest to the story.

Xzeno

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I read it and it says they're saved from the "Skull Knight" hrmm...why didn't it show that in the anime? I think that would be a major part that would ease some peoples minds. Cuz I sure didn't get it. He just kinds screamed and faded to the next scene. Are there any places I can buy the manga? And are there any translated into english? Cause I sure don't know japanese...

you can buy the books at www.sasugabooks.com, www.animaxis.com, or www.aclimatesolution.com. theyre pretty cheap, all 21 of em. theyre all well worth the money it takes to get em, maybe even more.
as for the translations, you can find some on this site, as well as a few other Berserk fan sites, but theres not "official" translations yet.

Xzeno

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
So to read it I'd have to buy the book and chill at my comp and read translations as I read it? :D I think I coukd handle that if I could read the rest of the story.

it's worth picking up the manga. After reading the info on this site I was able to get a true understanding of the Berserk world. The anime is awesome but I found that the manga had much more back story etc that was missing from the anime. For example Skullknight and Puck which are not even mentioned in the Anime but play a huge roll in the manga.

also, Guts becomes the ultimate Apostle slayer. Which in it's own right is worth checking out.

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!
nomad said:
wasnt the Berserk manga/comic suposed to come to the US???...(just wondering)

November 05, 2001, 07:42:02 AM

Holy shit... that must be some kind of record for reviving an old topic! :eek:

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Sometimes I wonder: was the Berserk anime condensed for content, time formatting, or just to make people who hadn't seen the manga say 'Nanda toh?!' and rush out to subscribe to Young Animal...

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Herald of Yama said:
Sometimes I wonder: was the Berserk anime condensed for content, time formatting, or just to make people who hadn't seen the manga say 'Nanda toh?!' and rush out to subscribe to Young Animal...

I just ordered 7 of the mangas... back when Walter use to display the images and translations I REEEEAAALLY got in to it...But I give the Anime a lot of credit...as far as I know it kinda goes on the same "vibe" (to me at least).

nir085

Horse and Armor
Sparnage said:
I dont think there is a person here that prefers the anime over the manga, if they do then its shameful.
Course not, but even you must agree that if the Berserk anime stayed true to the Berserk manga, then the anime would have been a helluva lot better, just because watching a show in your native tongue with great music in the background is more enjoyable then reading black and whitescenes backwards in a foreign language. I'm just saying watching anime is more enjoyable than reading manga in general, they just fucked up the Berserk anime unnecessarily.

I have no problem with watching japanese movies with english subs, that wasnt the problem to me.
To be honest i cant exactly picture the problems with the anime in some ways, apart from it was less perverted, less violent, not great quality at all and a couple of scenes like the escape just before the eclipse was cut down to nothing, but that aside it stayed true to the manga in most ways right down to the way scenes were shot from the same angle as the manga. I did like the voices of Guts, Griffith and Caska, though the manga is just....better.

Lauralana

That's Hot
Herald of Yama said:

ya i think they were only allowed to make one season of it...and since one season is 25 episodes...that was what they did. It was actually discussed on one of the extras in the DVDs. If ur really bored like me at times....u can always listen to Muira talk about the Berserk project with "sound only" and no visual ;D

B

Beave

You know, I know I'll be flamed dearly for it, but eh... that's never scared me before, I think it's better to be honest than silent-- there are many things I actually prefer about the anime, versus the manga.

One-- the anime has less (IMO) gratuitous tit and ass, general rape, endless sword fights, and blood and gore. All of these things, frankly, detract from my enjoyment of the manga. I read Berserk for the characters and their interactions-- that's what pushes the plot forward, and what makes the story so fascinating and different, or atleast to me.

I thought, in many ways, the edits of these types of things was really.... ::gasp:: an improvement on the manga. It streamlined the story, and stuck to those things that really mattered most. For example-- cutting out the whole story of the fat count in vol. 2 and 3, and laying down the entire setting in just the first episode, actually worked perfectly fine for me. I didn't feel like I missed much. Same goes for Guts being raped as a little kid. Same goes for all the fights they cut out while escaping from the castle, while saving Griffith. Same goes for the whole substory of Charlotte and her papa that wanted to screw her. Same goes for the ::ahem:: highly grautitous and endless sex scene between Guts and Caska in the manga. In many ways, I thought the more restrained aspect of the anime, in that situation in particular, allowed the viewer to focus more on the love they felt for each other, rather than Caska's tits flying around, which is most of what you see/or I saw in the manga, over and over again.... They're a fine pair of tits, don't get me wrong, I just thought it didn't jive with the rest of the story for me. I thought it was basically pandering to the young male crowd out there at the expense of the story and, more importantly, her character.

These were all things that I felt didn't really add much to the manga, and which I didn't really miss when I watched the show. Sometimes, there were bits and pieces in the sections that were cut that I thought were interesting, but I still thought the benefits from cutting these sections outweighed the benefits of keeping them. I'm sure I would have loved the show anyways if they had left all of it in, but I definitely never disliked the show simply because they cut that stuff.

And sure, there were some mistakes made-- I think they could have easily included Skullnight, and tacked on a last "wrapping things up" episode-- but I can take that in stride and still love the anime for what it is. Beside which, in many ways I rather like the semi-cliffhanger ending of the anime. I still have a sense of what happens afterwards-- that atleast Guts lives and that he's hunting Griffith, and that he somehow escapes-- and by ending in the middle of the action, I think the moment of betrayal is just absolutely burned into your mind. Yes, it sucks that you don't know if Caska lives or not in the anime-- but the story in the anime, in the end, is really about how Guts got to where he was in the first episode, and about the love and relationships between Guts, Caska, and Griffith. The anime accomplishes what it sets out to do, which is different from the manga. Thinking of them as relatively seperate things, I think the anime is freaking great. One of the best there is, hands down.

You know, I'm sure many, many, many people love the manga more-- particularly on this board-- but everyone's always knockin' the anime, and I just think it's a great piece of storytelling, and is something that should be appreciated. That's all.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Doppelganger said:
You know, I know I'll be flamed dearly for it, but eh... that's never scared me before, I think it's better to be honest than silent-- there are many things I actually prefer about the anime, versus the manga.

One-- the anime has less (IMO) gratuitous tit and ass, general rape, endless sword fights, and blood and gore. All of these things, frankly, detract from my enjoyment of the manga. I read Berserk for the characters and their interactions-- that's what pushes the plot forward, and what makes the story so fascinating and different, or atleast to me.

I thought, in many ways, the edits of these types of things was really.... ::gasp:: an improvement on the manga. It streamlined the story, and stuck to those things that really mattered most. For example-- cutting out the whole story of the fat count in vol. 2 and 3, and laying down the entire setting in just the first episode, actually worked perfectly fine for me. I didn't feel like I missed much. Same goes for Guts being raped as a little kid. Same goes for all the fights they cut out while escaping from the castle, while saving Griffith. Same goes for the whole substory of Charlotte and her papa that wanted to screw her. Same goes for the ::ahem:: highly grautitous and endless sex scene between Guts and Caska in the manga. In many ways, I thought the more restrained aspect of the anime, in that situation in particular, allowed the viewer to focus more on the love they felt for each other, rather than Caska's tits flying around, which is most of what you see/or I saw in the manga, over and over again.... They're a fine pair of tits, don't get me wrong, I just thought it didn't jive with the rest of the story for me. I thought it was basically pandering to the young male crowd out there at the expense of the story and, more importantly, her character.

These were all things that I felt didn't really add much to the manga, and which I didn't really miss when I watched the show. Sometimes, there were bits and pieces in the sections that were cut that I thought were interesting, but I still thought the benefits from cutting these sections outweighed the benefits of keeping them. I'm sure I would have loved the show anyways if they had left all of it in, but I definitely never disliked the show simply because they cut that stuff.

And sure, there were some mistakes made-- I think they could have easily included Skullnight, and tacked on a last "wrapping things up" episode-- but I can take that in stride and still love the anime for what it is. Beside which, in many ways I rather like the semi-cliffhanger ending of the anime. I still have a sense of what happens afterwards-- that atleast Guts lives and that he's hunting Griffith, and that he somehow escapes-- and by ending in the middle of the action, I think the moment of betrayal is just absolutely burned into your mind. Yes, it sucks that you don't know if Caska lives or not in the anime-- but the story in the anime, in the end, is really about how Guts got to where he was in the first episode, and about the love and relationships between Guts, Caska, and Griffith. The anime accomplishes what it sets out to do, which is different from the manga. Thinking of them as relatively seperate things, I think the anime is freaking great. One of the best there is, hands down.

You know, I'm sure many, many, many people love the manga more-- particularly on this board-- but everyone's always knockin' the anime, and I just think it's a great piece of storytelling, and is something that should be appreciated. That's all.
Chill man!!!....jejeje. I love the anime version too... but Ive read comics and other mangas in the past, so I guess thats why Im not THAT affected by the way Mangas are displayed or shown. The manga version filled me up more with info than the anime oubvieously. But the anime gave some "reality" (in terms of voices, etc.) to the manga, specially the Soundtrack (in my own personal opinion). In other words...I love them both...

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
Lauralana said:
u love them so much that u must post the same thing twice?

just wondering

You could be right. People don't like to let go of the odd moments of joy in their lives. So they prolong them, or double post as in this case.

Be happy for him. ;D

Doppelganger said:

I enjoyed the anime alot, still i cant believe anyone just said that. If someone else wants to flame you thats their choice, im not even going to dignify that with an answer.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Since Berserk's been going on for about 14 years now, it's unlikely there will be an end soon. There just so much plot material, twists and turns, unexpected developments...hey, I'll still be interested in this when I'm in a wheelchair at Shady Pines Rest Home.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Lauralana said:
u love them so much that u must post the same thing twice?

just wondering
jajajaja!!!...no...4 some reason my puter is acting kinda crazy...this is like the 3rd time it happens... I think it automaticly refreshes or something ;D

Top Bottom