New manga by Kentarou Miura

I read in this interview that Miura was thinking about writing a new manga about the real Dracula, Vlad Tepes.Here's the link to the interview:

http://www.thespectrum.net/berserk_info_creator.shtml

pippin22 said:
I read in this interview that Miura was thinking about writing a new manga about the real Dracula, Vlad Tepes.Here's the link to the interview:

http://www.thespectrum.net/berserk_info_creator.shtml

Hey, that was cool pippin.
That link is near to priceless, thank you.

Anyway I don't think he said that he was doing a Vampire manga as you implied.

So, Miura is a genious indeed.
Anyway, if I have to make a negative comment, the only thing I could possibly find is the part about Guts' personallity.
Don't get me wrong, I like how Miura is working about it and IMHO he is right doing it this way but I also see a potential danger that Guts (or Griffith) could sometimes be off balance the way Miura described it in the interview.
I mean, having a character without a foundation on some basic personallity and using him as a generic drive for various themes and situations could get tricky.
Till now in the story I haven't seen this happening except in some minor cases. For example in chapter 237, the way Guts replied to Shielke in the beginning of the chapter, made me think about it a bit. The effect was minor, but it's the most recent thing I could use as an example.

Anyway the most shocking part of the interview was:

"-I see. That's actually similar to the second question. I'd like to know if anything influenced Berserk.
-It is a Japanese novel, but... a novel called "Guin Saga" written by Kaoru Kurimoto was the most influential. Guin Saga is a fantasy novel series, and it's been trying to set arecord in the Guinness World Records as the longest fantasy work ever written by a single author. It was planned to be 100 volumes from the beginning. But it's already 80-something, so it'll go over 100 easily. I started reading it when I was in junior high and I'm still reading the new volume every month. So I could say Guin Saga is the most significant novel. And other stuff like movies and cartoons influenced me, too. "

P.S. I am happy I' ve mentioned obi whan as the example of Miura's touch in Skullknight's way of explaining and interacting with our heroes when we had that infamous berserker armour debate.
I passed through hellfire but what the hell of a coincidence was that of star wars mentioned as Miura's all time favourite.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Xechnao-

Dont you question Miura IDIOT! His word is final, his word is god >:(. Its greater then anyone else on this website, and its much greater then yours.

Anyways thanks for the link pippin. That interview was pritty enlightening, especially about him and relating berserk to his everyday life.

Hehe the new law now. Everyone hates starwars ep1

M

medievald00d

DemonX said:
Hehe the new law now. Everyone hates starwars ep1

Hitler hated starwars

Anyways, Fast food isnt good for you, and exersize is.

You insensitive flakes...Everyone agrees with me when i say that Star wars ROXORS!!!!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I remember that interview when it first got posted here. The best part is Miura doesn't remember what volume Pikaf and the lost children stuff happened in. Take THAT Mr. Creator!!! ;D

Anyway, I don't think Guts' character suffers not being based on anybody in particular; it's why he's such a deep character, Miura has to create him inside and out.

-Griffith

He really is a incredible person, interesting perspectives on life.

I would never have guessed that guts had some of, Connor MacLeod from highlander into his life, interesting concept. I can see a only few similar characteristics between them, aside the fact that they can both survive being stabbed a hundred fucking times.

I was surprised he was talking like fantasy world created by an Oriental is generally second hollywood fantasy, but japanese fantasy is probably more clever, uninhibited and adaptive in my opinion. Maybe not including something like lord of the rings, but that wasnt totally hollywood style, and that aside its a english fantasy but I cant quiet understand that remark.

Anyways thanks Pippin, certainly worth the read.

Sparnage said:
I was surprised he was talking like fantasy world created by an Oriental is generally second hollywood fantasy, but japanese fantasy is probably more clever, uninhibited and adaptive in my opinion. Maybe not including something like lord of the rings, but that wasnt totally hollywood style, and that aside its a english fantas but I cant quiet understand that remark.

Yeah that remark confuse me when I listen to Miura's interview, was he saying like that people should be surprise because something that type of work was made by an asian man.

Oh and it seems like some people here don't own the Region 1 DVD Berserk set. This interview is in DVD vol 4 but it's only in audio form which I always wonder why he didn't want to be shown in video form but only in audio form. Before the interview began it said that in request by Miura he would like to interview only in audio form. He must be hiding something. :eek:

Sparnage said:
I would never have guessed that guts had some of, Connor MacLeod from highlander into his life, interesting concept. I can see a only few similar characteristics between them, aside the fact that they can both survive being stabbed a hundred fucking times.

If I remember correct highlander was an influence to the physical concept and appearence of Guts. Not his character and personallity. He pretty much stated that Guts personallity is based to no single character to name.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
xechnao said:
If I remember correct highlander was an influence to the physical concept and appearence of Guts. Not his character and personallity. He pretty much stated that Guts personallity is based to no single character to name.

It looks like says that he reminds him of Guts, after mentioning another character similar to Guts. I think he just means the whole survivor aspect in general, always being the one that comes out on the other side. As far as looks go, it's all Rutger Hauer! ;D

-Griffith

P.S. So is Skull Knight Sean Connery?

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
theblakeman said:
Miura should make a shoujo manga. ;)

Kentarou Miura's Kodomo no Omocha or Shoujo Kakumei Utena? Somehow, I don't really see it. Though it would be entertaining to see.

Top Bottom