Isn't it interesting?

W

waqas786uk

Lately Ive been watching the last of episode of berserk over and over. The more i thought about the way each character reacted to his/her impending death I began to realise that people seem to become more honest with themselves and in a way their "true natures" come out. Just look at the hawks. Two people in particular surprised me at the end.

To be honest I always thought that Corkus was a one dimensional character until right before he died. He seemed like, well, a prat, and nothing more.The way he would take any opportunity to verbally attack gatts and the way he would always think of only himself made me asume that he was simply a self-centered low-life. But right before he died my thoughts on him changed drastically. As he ran from the demons he becoame slightly delusional tried to convince himself that it was all just a dream, that he had never joined the hawks, they had never had their sucesses and that he would now wake up to a more "un-remarkable" him. This shows that Corkus, more than anything else, had low self-esteem and that he was always afraid, or maybe even expected himself, to be a failure. That would explain why he would attack gatts and why he would always be the first one to panic if things seemed to be going badly. Low self-esteem usually stems from an unhappy childhood and im left wondering whether there is more about corkus in the manga.

Then there's Judeau. And his confession of, well his almost confession of love to Caska. Im not sure why he never told her. Since he was aware that caska was in love with griffith and then gatts he may have kept quiet so as to not upset anyone. Personally I think he was just simply afraid of rejection. And even though they were the only one's around at his death he still couldnt tell her how he felt. Some might call him a coward but I dont blame him, it can be hard to tell someone how you feel especially if you dont know if they'll reciprocate your feelings. Someone recetly called him pathetic and in a way Judeau might agree with that. His last words "So, are these to be my last words?" suggest that he was dissapointed in himself.

Yes, Corkus is definitely not one dimensional. He's obviously stubborn and crass but as Judeau alludes to, he probably had a dream of his own when he lead his own band of thieves/mercenaries (I'm not sure what it was exactly). He probably is in denial alot because he knows he's a part of someone else's dream while his is long gone.

I would agree that Judeau would think of himself as pathetic towards his death but at the same time I think he saved the Hawks alot of grief by not telling Caska he loved her. If he had told her before Guts's arrival it would be a different story.He was almost loving Caska vicariously through Guts as opposed to being forever jealous of him.

Don't forget Pippin either. He was unselfish and loyal to the end but you have to wonder if he had a dream of his own? Like Judeau, it seems all his personal matters were forfeited for the betterment of the Hawks. I also thought it was interesting that when he fends off the apostles for Caska it is a rare moment when you see his eyes (Icefall pointed that out and it is true in the manga also).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget Pippin either. He was unselfish and loyal to the end but you have to wonder if he had a dream of his own? Like Judeau, it seems all his personal matters were forfeited for the betterment  of the  Hawks. I also thought it was interesting that when he fends off the apostles for Caska it is a rare moment when you see his eyes (Icefall pointed that out and it is true in the manga also).
Well, Pippin was modeled after Miura, physically. (seriously) so of COURCE he has eyes  :)

Well, Pippin was modeled after Miura, physically. (seriously) so of COURCE he has eyes :)

Um...yes I know he has eyes. I was pointing out that we only see them a few times i.e. very serious moments. From the only picture I've seen of Miura (the one with the Dragonslayer) I didn't notice many similarities to Pippin. Btw, where did you read that?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Um...yes I know he has eyes. I was pointing out that we only see them a few times i.e. very serious moments. From the only picture I've seen of Miura (the one with the Dragonslayer) I didn't notice many similarities to Pippin. Btw, where did you read that?
Olivier told me its from an interview.

Here is the master and his little friend  ;D :
miura_ds.jpg

Er... That's not Miura, that's Takahashi Naohito, the director of the TV series. ^^;

Doh. Ok, I'll just shut up now. I saved the picture from a link on nightfall or BSOM a while ago and thought I read it was Miura. That is a Dragonslayer though. ::)

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
Yup, I think there was a pic of Miura posted at BSOM. It believe it was a picture of him at work, sketching or drawing and such.

He had some grey hairs I believe. How old is he by the way?....wouldn't want him to go and die on us ;D

I found these...Is this him?? Not much to go on :-/ but I found these here:

http://www.geocities.com/berserk_homepage/

How old is he by the way?....

35 i think...

and those werent exactly the ones i was thinking of. the ones i remember were in color. but im thinking that they were just Hirasawa... :-/
by the way, dont most mangaka like to keep what they look like somewhat of a secret or something?

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
I wonder what he will do then after Berserk? My guess is that he will be 40 to 45 years of age if the manga ever ends at volume 30 or 35.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
I wonder what he will do then after Berserk? My guess is that he will be 40 to 45 years of age if the manga ever ends at volume 30 or 35.
He's gonna do animation part2... at least that's what I hope...
althoug the anime can never again match up the manga, even if he uses "flashbacks and consorts"...

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Why would Miura bother with animation? ^^;
Je sais que tu ne l'aime pas. Mais je suis un grand  "fan" de l'animation, c'est pourquoi je l'ai posté.     ;)

God dammit! it's been a while i've last written in french. I am sorry Oliviér I just had to do this. Like Griffith would say: "I can't explain it, it's something that I feel."
I hope you can forgive me for there are certain mistakes in it... some far day in the future ;)

Je sais que tu ne l'aime pas. Mais je suis un grand  "fan" de l'animation, c'est pourquoi je l'ai posté.     ;)
What I meant is that Miura had nearly nothing to do with the anime series. Actually, it looks like he didn't really want his manga to be made into a TV series...

Age won't stop a good manga writer. My current fave is will be 54 come decemeber and she's still writing long series.

Of course I want it to end, but I really doubt Miura will die before then unless his lifestyle catches up with him ^_^;; Besides, Miura is a vampire :)

Top Bottom