Strange..

The_Stick

"Shoot for the moon. That way, if you miss it
Walter, I posted a message earlier titled "Bearers of the Behelit ..and ridiculious ideas."

However, when I went back to check if it got any replies yet, the thread was just gone, just disappeared from thin air.

Was it removed for being actually ridiculious or what?

I'm puzzled.

he moved it to an undisclosed location within this very forum!

i could tell you where, but thatd ruin the point of it being undisclosed...

the search begins....!!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
it was a 'speculation', and belonged in the 'speculations' section, not 'shootin the breeze'.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Wanna hear something really strange?
Yesterday I got 400 emails like this:
To: griffis@nervhq.org, griffis@nervhq.org, griffis@nervhq.org, griffis@nervhq.org, griffis@nervhq.org,  
Subject: I got a new account at megatokyo.org! You can get one too!
you are a dumbass for talking BS about me! Gahhh! has just received a new free
web based E-mail account with megatokyo.org. You can send mail to you are a
dumbass for talking BS about me! at the new MailChek E-mail address wallybisgay@megatokyo.org.
You can also get your own lifetime personalized private Web E-mail account at http://www.megatokyo.org

Megatokyo.org, a Chek, Inc. partner
and so on...

well, needless to say it's like a fart in the wind.
More harm come upon the sender than he ever hoped to cause...
anyway,if you're readin this, o glorious sender of 400 emails,
have fun in the afterlife. :-*

White_Hawk

Another thing thats's kinda atrange is :
How come japanese people read so much manga and anime where the heroes ain't really japanese.
I mean, they may sound japanese, but gattsu doesn't fit your average asian person profile. Actually, neither does silatt, and he's supposed to be the closer one to the orient.
And in videogames too. Nobody's japanese. They all have jap names but ain't no asian ppl. The mangaka are japanese too, wtf? The only videogame where I saw a japanese main character is ffx, where you have this guy that may fit the description. Anybody care to explain this, I'm really curious about it.

The_Stick

How come japanese people read so much manga and anime where the heroes ain't really japanese.

Heh. I agree. To me, it seems most of them look caucasian on the basic surface and even American to be more exact in my opinion. Why is this?

I really have no idea, but a co-worker who also likes anime told me that he thinks it has to do with the Japanese being "obsessed" with the Western image and culture. Who really knows though?

Heh.  I agree.  To me, it seems most of them look caucasian on the basic surface and even American to be more exact in my opinion.  Why is this?  

Maybe because Japanese people don't see themselves as being short, yellow, etc?...
I mean, you're looking at it from an Occidental point of view.

Isaac

"and when king alexander saw the breadth of h
I always thought it was interesting how anime characters usually have huge eye's which is kind of the opposite their epicanthic (sp) eye's.

I always thought it was interesting how anime characters usually have huge eye's which is kind of the opposite their epicanthic (sp) eye's.

But their eyes are huge even compared to Occidental ones. It has nothing to do with that.
Eyes are a vector of emotion, that's probably why they're emphasized...

Isaac

"and when king alexander saw the breadth of h
I guess I just thought they were over compensating... That sounds pretty racist, I'm not I swear, just ignorant heh.

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
My japanese teacher said that eyes were the most important part of the face, and the nose was the least important...

could have something to do with it, or she might make things up. What do I know *grins*

At least I now know that the houses are numbered after in which order they were built.... makes for some confusion... ;)

icefall

I need more sleep -_- zzz
My japanese teacher said that eyes were the most important part of the face, and the nose was the least important...

My old sensei told me that "amerikajin no hana wa totemo takai desu yo!" (basically americans have very big or "tall"  noses)  ;D She pointed to her nose and right then and there I realized up close how different Japanese noses are o_O

Wow that was totally off topic...

Back to eyes - Betty Boop had a major influence on early Japanese animation. She had huge eyes... as well as other "exaggerated" features. Some Japanese guys are as addicted to american women as some american guys are obsessed with japanese girls ^_-;;;

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
i thought the "big eye" syndrome is just a reflection of the ideal of beauty. then again, it all comes down to recollection of sex.

why do people wear lipsticks -- cuz lips are red during orgasm
why do people prefer big eyes -- cuz eyes are bigger during orgasm

you get the idea

White_Hawk

Hmm, it's strange tough, because the big eyes is a very common topic among manga theoretics and such. However, nobody can say exactly what's up with the japanese animated roles models. They are ideal, morally and phisically, for the kind of characters they rapresent.
Another thing that hits me it's that, from how much I've heard, in Japan it's not polite to look into each other's eyes. Yet they draw em like mad. I can say berserk is a fine exception of that, along with hokuto no ken and the immortal.(accidentally, my favourite mangas).

icefall

I thought it had something to do with Tezuka being influenced by Disney characters like Bambi?

I'll have to find the book that I got that information from... in the "beginnings of modern anime" section they mentioned something about the US occupation of WWII in Japan and Betty Boop.

The disney characters are also definitely a big influence too, but I'm pretty sure the "big eye syndrome" was BB's doing :)

icefall

Yeah, but sometimes it just seems ridiculous... just take a look at sailor moon...     ::)

Don't make me smack you down with my tiara of doom! Oh wait... I don't have one  ;)

The_Stick

I'll have to find the book that I got that information from... in the "beginnings of modern anime" section they mentioned something about the US occupation of WWII in Japan and Betty Boop.

Hey I would love to have a book like that. I am doing a little research paper on Anime for my college art class. Do any of you think you could help me find such a book or give me some facts?

Top Bottom