Help a newbie catch up

Isaac

"and when king alexander saw the breadth of h
Hey,

I started watching the Anime series again last night for the first time since i'd started crusing the internet for information about Berserk. Anyway while i did questions kept popping into my head so I figure I'd poste em' here, only problem is i forgot most of them so bare with me, i'll probably be adding more periodically. Anyway:

In the first episode of the Anime you overhear two guys talking about the condition of Midland or whatever. Anyway the guy says "its been like this ever since Griffith became king". Now from what I've read in teh summaries and Timelines Griffith wasn't king at that point. Is that another discrepency between the Anime and the Manga or am i missing something?

Do we have any idea how Gatts hooked up with Godo? and/or why Godo always helps him?

Is there any indication in the Manga of a romantic relationship between Erica (thats godo's foster daughter right?) and Rickert? Or is that just wishful thinking? They could sure have some handy babies!

Does the plot of the Dreamcast game actually fit in with the timlines and events of the Manga or is that just kind of a Fanfiction?

In the Anime one of the mercenary's says that Gatts was born from a corpse. Thats really fucking freaky, but is it just embelishment? I thought Gambino just found him under his mom's corpse. I didn't see an umbilical chord or anything in that part.

I'm thinking about saving up and investing in the two 10 volume books but i'm not sure how valueable that'd be if i can't read them. Do any of you non japanese reading people have them? If so how hard is it to follow just based on the pictures?

I read the timeline and one parts got me especially confused. When The Hawk (I assume thats Femto/Griffith right?) comes to Zodd and Zodd says he is seaking the ultimate strong one. It says something like he cuts off Zodd's horn to show that he's the one. Then it says in the next sentence that profficy about the pillar of fire and that the thing he seeks will come then. Isn't that conflicting? Didn't we just establish that Griffith was the ultimate strong one when he cut off his horn?

Thanks!
Isaac

In the first episode of the Anime you overhear two guys talking about the condition of Midland or whatever.  Anyway the guy says "its been like this ever since Griffith became king".  Now from what I've read in teh summaries and Timelines Griffith wasn't king at that point.  Is that another discrepency between the Anime and the Manga or am i missing something?
It's a discrepancy (and a blatant error, as Guts certainly wouldn't keep chasing random Apostles and looking for a Beherit after Griffith's return).
Do we have any idea how Gatts hooked up with Godo?  and/or why Godo always helps him?
I don't think we know anything about that.
Is there any indication in the Manga of a romantic relationship between Erica (thats godo's foster daughter right?)...
Yes.

... and Rickert?  Or is that just wishful thinking?
There are some indications.
Does the plot of the Dreamcast game actually fit in with the timlines and events of the Manga or is that just kind of a Fanfiction?
When the game was released, it was supposed to fit in with the timeline, to take place "in the future".
We'll probably know if it's still true soon enough, as the game happens during Guts, Casca and Puck's journey to Elfhelm, and that journey began a few issues ago in the manga.
In the Anime one of the mercenary's says that Gatts was born from a corpse.  Thats really fucking freaky, but is it just embelishment?
That's true. ^^;
When The Hawk (I assume thats Femto/Griffith right?) comes to Zodd and Zodd says he is seaking the ultimate strong one.  It says something like he cuts off Zodd's horn to show that he's the one.  Then it says in the next sentence that profficy about the pillar of fire and that the thing he seeks will come then.  Isn't that conflicting?  Didn't we just establish that Griffith was the ultimate strong one when he cut off his horn?
He is, but he doesn't exist in the "physical world" yet. When he cut Zoddo's horn, he was only existing as some kind of illusion, between dream and reality.

aelka

*gasp* you know how hot I am? *no.*
In the first episode of the Anime you overhear two guys talking about the condition of Midland or whatever.  Anyway the guy says "its been like this ever since Griffith became king".  Now from what I've read in teh summaries and Timelines Griffith wasn't king at that point.  Is that another discrepency between the Anime and the Manga or am i missing something?
You're not missing anything, It's probably a misinterpretation on the anime series you've watched. Griffith was considered as a savior, maybe, but not a King for sure. You know, there are those "fan translations/subtexts" out there that are done quite improfessionally.

Do we have any idea how Gatts hooked up with Godo?  and/or why Godo always helps him?
This is mentioned in the manga. It gets all complicated, no use explaining unless you read the manga yourself.

Is there any indication in the Manga of a romantic relationship between Erica (thats godo's foster daughter right?) and Rickert?  Or is that just wishful thinking?  They could sure have some handy babies!
Godo's "daughter" (she's adopted) CANNOT have much of a relationship with Rickert. Apparently, she's supposed to be a VERY young child. Rickert is more like her big brother, no matter how hard you try to force a relationship upon them, it'd at least be a decade before she can bear children!

nope. not at all.
In the Anime one of the mercenary's says that Gatts was born from a corpse.  Thats really fucking freaky, but is it just embelishment?  I thought Gambino just found him under his mom's corpse.  I didn't see an umbilical chord or anything in that part.
it's true. In the manga you see the cord. but when was berserk a nice happy melody?

I'm thinking about saving up and investing in the two 10 volume books but i'm not sure how valueable that'd be if i can't read them.  Do any of you non japanese reading people have them?  If so how hard is it to follow just based on the pictures?

Personally, I think it's quite impossible to guess the plot of Berserk from pictures. The most interesting thing other than the occasional brutal combats are the philosophies and the developments of characters behind the blood and gore. There's Chinese, there's English, there's German, but I don't know if there are any other versions out there.
I read the timeline and one parts got me especially confused.  When The Hawk (I assume thats Femto/Griffith right?) comes to Zodd and Zodd says he is seaking the ultimate strong one.  It says something like he cuts off Zodd's horn to show that he's the one.  Then it says in the next sentence that profficy about the pillar of fire and that the thing he seeks will come then.  Isn't that conflicting?  Didn't we just establish that Griffith was the ultimate strong one when he cut off his horn?

I only read up to 19, sorry, can't help you.

You're not missing anything, It's probably a misinterpretation on the anime series you've watched.  Griffith was considered as a savior, maybe, but not a King for sure.  You know, there are those "fan translations/subtexts" out there that are done quite improfessionally.
No, it really says that Griffith became the King of Midland.
This is mentioned in the manga.
Not as far as I know? ?_?
Godo's "daughter" (she's adopted) CANNOT have much of a relationship with Rickert.  Apparently, she's supposed to be a VERY young child.  Rickert is more like her big brother, no matter how hard you try to force a relationship upon them, it'd at least be a decade before she can bear children!
Er... Just because they're still young doesn't mean they can't love each other? ^_^;
Of course, they're children, but (if Miura doesn't kill them ^^; ) I believe they'll eventually become a couple.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You're not missing anything, It's probably a misinterpretation on the anime series you've watched.  Griffith was considered as a savior, maybe, but not a King for sure.  You know, there are those "fan translations/subtexts" out there that are done quite improfessionally.
Well...its what they said in the Japanese script too. Its just a BIG ASS ERROR. Lets leave it at that.

This is mentioned in the manga.  It gets all complicated, no use explaining unless you read the manga yourself.
Well, you are correct that it gets complicated but its never really explained why Godo takes Guts under his wing. Actually Godo is much more elaborated in the anime (at least during Guts time of post-hawks) than in the manga. The manga's scenes with Godo (in vol 10) are nearly all flashbacks, and make for some very confusing continuity.

Godo's "daughter" (she's adopted) CANNOT have much of a relationship with Rickert.  Apparently, she's supposed to be a VERY young child.  Rickert is more like her big brother, no matter how hard you try to force a relationship upon them, it'd at least be a decade before she can bear children!
Im not so sure about that....Guts mentions something about this to RIckert in chapter 184, and Rickert more or less doesnt deny that he ahs feelings for her. Id say if Rickert is around 15, then Erica is about 12. Thats not TOO absurd.

nope.  not at all.
Im not really sure where you get off saying its "not at all" connected with the main plot...but, its fairly clear that the events in the game will fall into place in the near future of the manga.

Personally, I think it's quite impossible to guess the plot of Berserk from pictures.  The most interesting thing other than the occasional brutal combats are the philosophies and the developments of characters behind the blood and gore.
I built an entire website on Berserk, and I cant read a lick of Japanese.

aelka

*gasp* you know how hot I am? *no.*
EEEEp.  Griffith becoming king...Okay sorry about the misunderstanding.

Well, I took the interpretation of Rickert not being able to leave Erika behind as some kind of brother-sister bond overall.  Someone he cares about, but nothing romantic, at least, in my head, because, my image of Erika is of:

erika.gif

I can be wrong on that!  

About Godo and Gatts, I THOUGHT it did say in volume 13 or 14.  I can be wrong on that too.  Gee, I am so wrong on everything!  I guess I am not such an impulsive fan that read the comic detailed enough.

I read a few berserk game sites, and they all say it's a subplot and shouldn't try to link it to the series.  I couldn't be wrong on what I've read, although what those people wrote might be wrong.  I still can't take that back...maybe if I have a copy of the newer berserks I'd change my saying.

my image of Erika is of:
erika.gif

I can be wrong on that!

Well, yeah, but that was two years ago... ^^

About Godo and Gatts, I THOUGHT it did say in volume 13 or 14.  I can be wrong on that too.

I'm afraid you are... ^^;
Where exactly do you think it's said?

I read a few berserk game sites, and they all say it's a subplot and shouldn't try to link it to the series.

I read a few Occidental Berserk game sites as well, and... er... well, they obviously don't know what they're talking about, most of the time. ^^;

Miura wrote the scenario and said it was a part of the timeline.
The title itself is the name of the chapter (and the first time we ever heard of the "Millennium Falcon Hen" that began this year in the manga).
Miura reminded the readers that the current events are linked with the Dreamcast game, in a recent issue of Young Animal.

The only weird thing about all that, so far, is that I'd say that the game takes place in Fall, and the recent episodes of the manga seem to take place in Winter... Then again, Puck did say that Elfhelm was "a bit far", so...
Like I said, we'll see...

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
I'm thinking about saving up and investing in the two 10 volume books but i'm not sure how valueable that'd be if i can't read them.  

They are worth the investment. Get them all if you can. If that's not possible. it doesn't mean that you are not a true berserk fan, it just means that you don't have the cash at the moment. But its a nice gesture and it helps support the author for all his hard work.

If so how hard is it to follow just based on the pictures? Do any of you non japanese reading people have them?

Its not hard when you have guys like Olivier and Cronus translating some chapters. And guys like Walter and Griffith that analize the hell out the story and characters. Then these guys post it here for the rest of us to enjoy. They are the ones that really give us the valuable information.

It seems that we have people of various nationalities that come to this bbs. Most of us do not speak/read/write Japanese and we still own our manga copies :)

Isaac

Hey got another question.

The first time we hear from the Band of the Hawk its when they're leaving the castle that young Gatts and the rest of the mercanaries under that french lookin' guy are attacking.  Now they say because of the Band of the Hawk it took them 3 months instead of 3 days to take that castle... but they still took the castle.  So why doesn't that count as a defeat?

Isaac

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It does count as a defeat, but I suppose it was a pretty damned near impossible thign to defend in in the first place. However, the Hawks held it for as long as realistically possible.

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
In my opinion, I don't think it was soley thier defeat. Remember that they were a mercenary band at that point in the story. I think of it like this, they were hired as reinforcments for the army that was stationed at that castle.

Besides, wouldn't it be impressive to hear news of a castle holding for 3 months instead of mere days? And to hear this was made possible due to a small merc group that name themselves the Band of the Hawks. That would make any General raise an eyebrow...

Isaac

Another one:

So Griffith turned into Femto when he scraficed the Hawks during the first eclipse. Then later on when that one capitol tuns into the hand and the god hand look alikes come (why look alikes? Were those the actual godhand at the first eclipse?). The Behelit Apostle absorbes the demented Caska/Gatts baby and then somehow meshes with Femto to create a reborn Griffith? So is the reborn Griffith a conglomerate of these 3 characters (mentally) or is it just Griffith reborn using their parts?

Also was the rebirth of Griffith what The Hawk (thats the same person as Femto/Griffith right?) was foretelling Zodd when he chopped off his horn? Is Griffith now the mortal who can challenge him?

Also since Femto was reborn as Griffith does that mean there are only 4 members of the God Hand again? Does Griffith still have the Crimson Behelit? If not does that mean its floating around again so somenoe else could find it and become the next 5th member of the God Hand?

I hope you guys don't mind explaining this to me, the Timeline in the FAQ gets really confusing towords the end (more summaries would be AWEOSME! ;) and i wanna make sure i got this strait so i can potentially participate in future conversations instead of watching while tending to the ensuing nosebleed hehe.

Isaac

Another one:

Then later on when that one capitol tuns into the hand and the god hand look alikes come (why look alikes?  Were those the actual godhand at the first eclipse?).  

those were the real ones at the first eclipse. but i believe there was something said about a false eclipse and Griffith's rebirth...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So Griffith turned into Femto when he scraficed the Hawks during the first eclipse.  Then later on when that one capitol tuns into the hand and the god hand look alikes come (why look alikes?  Were those the actual godhand at the first eclipse?)
Volume 18, Skully tells Guts that an eclipse that happens once every 1000 yeras will occur. This eclipse is "special" because it allows one of heavenly spheres (a god...) to become flesh once more. It will also mirror events from the last eclipse.

The God hand in the recent eclipse were just shadows of the previous eclipse. And yes, the God Hand at the original eclipse were the "real" god hand.

The Behelit Apostle absorbes the demented Caska/Gatts baby and then somehow meshes with Femto to create a reborn Griffith?
Youre taking it too physicall =). The beherit apostle just saw Casca and Guts child, and decided to let it "die" with him, "together". Perhaps it felt sorry for it. So what ended up happening is that the Beherit's dream cam true. It gave birth to the thing that would change the world, Griffith Reborn. The physical body of the new Griffith was created from the Demon Child. There was no "merning" with Femto. Femto isnt even a physical being (hence the "born into flesh ceremony")

Also was the rebirth of Griffith what The Hawk (thats the same person as Femto/Griffith right?) was foretelling Zodd when he chopped off his horn?  Is Griffith now the mortal who can challenge him?
Assumedly, Griffith is that "ultimate Strong One" that Zodd referred to. However, there is a little theory about that... Zodd's motives with the USO are unknown at this point.

Also since Femto was reborn as Griffith does that mean there are only 4 members of the God Hand again?  Does Griffith still have the Crimson Behelit?  If not does that mean its floating around again so somenoe else could find it and become the next 5th member of the God Hand?
....I....guess. A crimson beherit eclipse ceremony only takes place every 216 years though...

Timeline in the FAQ gets really confusing towords the end (more summaries would be AWEOSME!
Well...its not meant for people that havent read the manga. Its just to get a basic idea of what happens where, and when.

Volume 18, Skully tells Guts that an eclipse that happens once every 1000 yeras will occur.
Actually, he didn't talk about some kind of "special Occulation". He just said that this "incarnation phenomenon" occurs every 1000 years.
It looks like this one mirrored the last Occultation, but we don't know what happened exactly 1000 years ago, for example... Who knows, it could have been totally different?...

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
I'm kinda puzzled about the story that charlotte told the rescue party while venturing into the dungeon where griffis was being held. It's about gaiseric's empire and the five angels.
I just can't stop thinking "What Five Angels"????

Isaac

Hey is it just me or does the Count make a cameo in the Anime? During the part where the one hawk is getting eaten and telling Rickert to run (while Gatts adn Co. are off rescuing griffith). The monster eating him sure looks liek the Count. Is it like that in the Manga as well? If so I assumed that part was Roshinu's insect creatures attacking the hawks, i didn't think it had anything to do with the Apostles?

Also does the Manga give any clues as to what Griffiths face looked like? In the anime Gatts opened up his helmate breifly and started freaking out and shouted at Caska to stay back. I'm just curious what was done to him.

Isaac

Hey is it just me or does the Count make a cameo in the Anime?  During the part where the one hawk is getting eaten and telling Rickert to run (while Gatts adn Co. are off rescuing griffith).  The monster eating him sure looks liek the Count.  Is it like that in the Manga as well?
In the manga, it's the Count. It's also the Count who "shows" Pippin's dead body to Guts, during the Occultation.
If so I assumed that part was Roshinu's insect creatures attacking the hawks, i didn't think it had anything to do with the Apostles?
Er... But Rochine is an Apostle? ^^;
The Count, Rochine and her guardians just attacked them on their way to the place where the Occultation was supposed to happen.
Also does the Manga give any clues as to what Griffiths face looked like?
They talk about it, but we never get to see it.

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
in the nature of this discussion, so far Guts has avenged Corkus, Pippin, and the soldiers from the rendezvous. Judeau killed the thing himself. so the only person that needs to be avenged is Gaston?

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
in the nature of this discussion, so far Guts has avenged Corkus, Pippin, and the soldiers from the rendezvous. Judeau killed the thing himself. so the only person that needs to be avenged is Gaston?

And about 100 other Hawk soldiers...

Top Bottom