Silent Hill 2??

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
What is the scare factor of Silent Hill 2? I own the first game and I just can not play that game at night by myself!!! Till this day I still have not finished the game...how sad it that? :-/

Isaac

"and when king alexander saw the breadth of h
I agree with you whole heartedly on the first Silent Hill. I never played through it but my friends did and whenever i'd watch them play for a bit i'd seriously have to watch some disney cartoons before i could get to sleep.

Anyway I have played through a healthy chunk of the sequal and i haven't found it scary at all. Its got some pretty graphics and interesting puzzles and plot and shit, but so far its nowhere near as scary as its predecessor.

Isaac

FatalTapper

Some things are worth tapping for...
The sound effects has a lot to do with the game's horror factor. If you dont have a nice stereo set up, play with head phones.

Oh, and a minor spoiler...

Wait until you get to a certain bathroom in the prison... scared shitless was I.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting that people are talking about the game here :) Its all Ive been doing for the past 2 days. Im a huge fan of the first game, and so naturally I was peeing my pants waiting for this game.

Im lovin every minute of it...well...maybe not the first 5 minutes. Too slow of a start in my opinion. The original throws you into one of the coolest scenes in the very beginning. SH2 makes you wander around virtually aimlessly for over 10 minutes. ..But Im just griping.

Once you get the flashlight...everything begins to get creepier. Shadows are cast on EVERYTHING, and at times makes the game seem very close to photo-realism. Of cource, as a prerequisite you MUST play this game alone and in the dark. I made the terrible mistake of playing it today during the afternoon around friends and it just completely ruins the atmosphere of the game, and makes it "unfun".

I give it the "best game of 2001" Award. Hands down.

Scare Factor? Well...The first game has the title of "only thing that has every honestly frightened me" in any form of media. And the second...well...I dunno. Its not nearly as intense in my opinion. Ive died once. And...well, I just think its waaay too easy. Maybe I need to increase difficulty, cuz these demons arent cuttin it...too slow. Dont get me wrong, the atmosphere, created by the sound effects, music and just sheer graphical detail create this definite FREAKY mood, but as far as jump out of your chair scares? There are a few, but this game, in my opinion relies on its depiction of the world of Silent Hill: "FUCKED UP"

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
I want I want I want I want...

Agh, Silent Hill was one of the best games EVER, the only thing that has come close to the way I want games to be. I have to replay it sometimes again, but just walking there in the mist and snow, listening to that freaký radio... *swoons*

would have my vote as the BESTEST game ever!

Oh, and Legacy of Kaine of course... *grins*

when i started playing I got bored quick..running around in a foggy haze for over 10 minutes before anything really interesting happens. But once you get to the apartments and get the flashlight the game gets better. Hopefully they have more enemies then the weird 4 legged thing and that other one that crawls around making bizzare noises. I assume they do.

That game Devil May Cry looks pretty sweet too. I played the demo at the local videogame hole and was loving the freedom of shooting and moving around at the same time...something REvil needs badly.

FatalTapper

Wheew, I finally beat the game. Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of playing it through, but for some reason it feels like a big "weight" has been lifted off my shoulders now. Maybe now I'll stop thinking about bashing uglies repeatedly with a stick during lectures.
Oh, I beat the game with a CRAP load of ammo left over. If you're playing normal mode, I say dont even worry about ammo consumption. For a survival horror game, killing 125 by bashing them and shooting only 25 seems a little imbalanced.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I just beat it as well, around 10 minutes ago. By far, the best console game Ive played since Xenogears (odd comparison, I know...)

I got the "Leave" ending. I was totally satisfied, and Im glad to know that its the "best" ending. I was worried for a sec after I beat it. Now I want to know what the "dog" ending is!

Yes, I found the game to be incredibly too easy. I only killed 4 enemies with bullets, and something like 190 with melee (stomping). With 8 stars Im able to turn off the "noise" effect which makes the game look ABSURDLY more clear (and yet, more dreamy...) Im playing through it now on Hard difficulty (both game,and riddle)

Now I just have the get the soundtrack. Some of the music in this game is downright incredible!

PS: Biggest dissapointment in game: Unlike the first SH, there is no situation in which you must beat demon dogs which are leaping in mid-air, with a lead pipe. Sigh...I loved doing that in the first game! It took mad timing...

FatalTapper

I got the "leave" ending too. And yes, it definitely is the happiest ending. After reading about the other endings, I'd say its the ONLY good ending. The Maria ending sounds cool, but remembering Lisa from the first Silent Hill, I'd say its pretty depressing. I don't even want to dwell on how creepy Rebirth sounds. Anyway, rebirth would be the ending i will shoot for if i play another game. Meanwhile running around aimlessly with the chainsaw is enough for me.

I don't know if anyone cares, but in video game related news Shenmue 2 has been cancelled for the DC and Microsoft bought exclusive rights for it in the US to release on the X-Box. This really pisses me because Sega had promised this (among MANY other things) and it only saw release for an ungrateful Japanese audience (as far as sales are concerned).There is still a shred of hope for a subbed Europe release but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Yea, and I didn't want to feel the "need" to buy an Xbox. I guess I eventually will. Hey this Friday is Payday!!! Problem is that I only get to buy one game....bills, bills, and more bills. Devil May Cry comes out Friday but I have also been wanting to get Silent Hill 2 even tho I only played alittle of the first one. Seeing how you guys like SH2 and DMC isn't even out I wonder which I will enjoy most. Uhhhh, I hate these kind of decisions. Maybe one bill can be 2 weeks late and I buy both......... :-/
Yea maybe.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Buy Silent Hill 2 for damned fine plot and atmosphere, buy Devil May Cry for just good ol gameplay

I played DMC today at Software etc. and it was pretty fun....then I saw the kiosk (uhhh) they had set up for Metal Gear Solid 2....Damn, I'll never be able to save money! ;D ;D ;D

Top Bottom