Isidro must go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EtherGhost

Through the many volumes of Berserk, I have felt many things about the characters and situations. But only one time have I felt true disappointment with this work and it is when I realized Isidro was going to stay in the story.

Why, oh why?

Here's my explanation for why I dislike Isidro so much, in no specific order.

1-He wholly contradicts the Berserk theme and story.
2-He is stupid, vulgar and pointless.
3-Adds a campy element: "I'm just some ordinary kid, but because I have a fire dagger and I'm a member of Gatts' party I can kill monsters by the dozen! Just like in a bad b-movie/tvshow!."
4-There was already enough comic relief with Puck, and then Evarella.
5-His comic relief is not funny. Furthermore, he conflicts with Puck and made him less funny as he is usually replying to some pointless remark of Isidro.
6-Berserk does not need anymore comic relief.
7-Gatts initially treated Puck quite cruelly to try to keep him away. A few volumes ago he did the same to Jill and killed Roshinu in cold blood.... and suddenly he is "training" and baby-sitting some annoying, useless brat who decided to tag along for no reason?
8-Gatts is certainly not the kind of guy to let some USELESS character tag along with him. And if he did it would be so he could use him as a human shield/decoy (like the old priest in the battle against the snail count)
9-Isidro is suddenly around and NO ONE cares to ask "what do we need some stupid kid around for?"
10-Rickert would have been much cooler to have around. Even if he had to babysit Erika.
11-I have come to fear whenever something serious happens, Isidro is just going to appear in the next panel and yell some completely ANTICLIMATIC gag.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

How?

4-There was already enough comic relief with Puck, and then Evarella.

Isadro came before Evarella.

I don't see why anyone has a problem with the guy. He's just there because Miura wants him to be there, so really it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Who's to say he doesn't have some kind of connection to the characters that are considered important by everyone?

For all we know, he may end up being Guts brother. Or one of Slan's bastard children.

I don't like Isidro too much myself (Rickert is cooler) and I do agree with some of the points you make, but he isn't that bad. Pretty pointless yeah, but tolerable, as long as you're not reading his "humor" bubbles, which I don't know how people read in the first place.

M

medievald00d

Well, he seems "stupid, vulgar, and pointless", but that is just the surface.

Adds a campy element: "I'm just some ordinary kid, but because I have a fire dagger and I'm a member of Gatts' party I can kill monsters by the dozen! Just like in a bad b-movie/tvshow!."

When he was talking to the old man, we get a glimpse of his past, and his family. Obviously he must not have grown up in the best of families if he ran away and became a theif.

He personifies some of Berserk's greatest themes as well: hope, potential, and dreams

Gatts initially treated Puck quite cruelly to try to keep him away. A few volumes ago he did the same to Jill and killed Roshinu in cold blood.... and suddenly he is "training" and baby-sitting some annoying, useless brat who decided to tag along for no reason?
1. We could (kind of) blame that on his inner beast
2. Guts ditched the kid at first, but Isidro followed Guts for days on end.
3. Isidro saved Caska more than once, so he's earned his keep.

8-Gatts is certainly not the kind of guy to let some USELESS character tag along with him. And if he did it would be so he could use him as a human shield/decoy (like the old priest in the battle against the snail count)
What about Caska? Berserk wouldnt be interesting if it was only blood and carnage. Even the bloodiest arcs (lost children arc) had good plots.

10-Rickert would have been much cooler to have around. Even if he had to babysit Erika.
Rickerts cool, but he has no real personality. A bit like Serpico without the traumatic childhood.

I wont argue with most of those facts, I too believe Rickert would have been a better young fighter to travel with Guts, a bit of a shame but we can only hope he will be a better character as time goes, but I will admit he is more tolerable than he used to be.

On that note I never used to mind Puck so much, nor the odd comic relief from him ever now and then but it just slowly grew and grew... then once Evarella came into the story he more or less gave up his physical appearence for full on chestnut form and making cheap shots all the time. "sigh"

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
He's just there because Miura wants him to be there, so really it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

Now I love Berserk as much as any real fan here but that doesnt mean people dont get to have a opinion on if they see something they are not totally happy with.

EtherGhost said:

How so?

EtherGhost said:
5-His comic relief is not funny. Furthermore, he conflicts with Puck and made him less funny as he is usually replying to some pointless remark of Isidro.

You do realize the jokes are in Japanese right?

EtherGhost said:
7-Gatts initially treated Puck quite cruelly to try to keep him away. A few volumes ago he did the same to Jill and killed Roshinu in cold blood.... and suddenly he is "training" and baby-sitting some annoying, useless brat who decided to tag along for no reason?

Did you completely miss the whole scene in vol 23 of why Gutz took Ishidoro, Farnazze and Serpico in?

EtherGhost said:

Gutz himself said that Ishidoro can be relied on during the whole Qliphoth part.....

EtherGhost said:
11-I have come to fear whenever something serious happens, Isidro is just going to appear in the next panel and yell some completely ANTICLIMATIC gag.

Hows that any different from Pucks jokes?

not having him in the story would be like not

having corkus,

it wouldnt be the same,

you just wouldnt have that other stone

to step on in the story,

or trip over when you forget about it :D

hell, why not take out caska,

im sure pippin could replace her ;)

- c

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Sparnage said:
Now I love Berserk as much as any real fan here but that doesnt mean people dont get to have a opinion on if they see something they are not totally happy with.

THEY HAVE NO OPINION ONLY THE GREAT MIURA AND HIS ADMINS WALTER AND GRIFFITH HAVE OPINONS!

E

EtherGhost

You do realize the jokes are in Japanese right?

Doesnt change ANYTHING. Yes, I can read Japanese and I have read half the volumes in original language. Besides, just looking at the pictures is enough of a sore.

Did you completely miss the whole scene in vol 23 of why Gutz took Ishidoro, Farnazze and Serpico in?

Isidro was there before Farneze. And Gatts did have a good reason to allow then to come as he needed help with Caska and Serpico is a very skillful and smart guy. Even Puck is very surprised and comments that that action was totally unlike Gatts, yet he doesnt say anything about Isidro.

Let's review how Isidro became acquainted with Gatts.
Gatts saves him from some Kushan assasins.
Kid gets impressed by his big sword.
Kid decides to try to steal it.
Gatts is oblivious.
Kid decides to tag along.
Gatts pretends he isnt there.

Gutz himself said that Ishidoro can be relied on during the whole Qliphoth part.....

Yes, but it feels completely artificial. Just like everything he's done it feels it happens because the writer forces it, not because it makes sense.

Hows that any different from Pucks jokes?
Puck is cool. Besides he's certainly important and relevant.

well mr ghost if you dont like it so much that

you make multiple posts about it and

start a thread about it,

get in touch with miura and tell him to take him out,

other than that,

if you dont like it,

stop reading it,

what else do you want us to say?

its like you want us to give you a reason

besides the obvious,

but all the people that have posted so far is giving you the obvious right in front of your eyes,

oh well, if you dont like him thats cool,

have a pleasant evening :)

- c

10-4 said:
well mr ghost if you dont like it so much that

you make multiple posts about it and

start a thread about it,

get in touch with miura and tell him to take him out,

other than that,

if you dont like it,

stop reading it,

what else do you want us to say?

its like you want us to give you a reason

besides the obvious,

but all the people that have posted so far is giving you the obvious right in front of your eyes,

oh well, if you dont like him thats cool,

have a pleasant evening :)

- c

He is posting his opinion as a concerned fan, and you make it sound like a opinion that is more negative is pointless compared to a positive opinion, but it shouldnt matter.

To me Berserk is almost faultless in everyway possible, though that doesn't mean people here should start getting all worked up just because states something they are not happy with as a concerned fan, yet sometimes it sounds like they cannot do that without sounding like bastards to most members here.

EtherGhost said:
Doesnt change ANYTHING. Yes, I can read Japanese and I have read half the volumes in original language. \

If you think Isidro is irrelevant, then forget about reading berserk, yes i admit he is irritating sometime, but he is not the always stupid kid we used to know, he doesn have background and ambitions and most importantly some skills!!!

Now if Isidro never tag along, do you think Scherike will safety rescue the kidnapped victim from the trolls? Scheike woould have been killed by the troll king if Isidro isnt there there to block him

Just keep quiet and continue reading berserk, you knows you might like him in the future... if not too bad, put your interest in some other manga

M

medievald00d

EtherGhost said:
Doesnt change ANYTHING. Yes, I can read Japanese and I have read half the volumes in original language.
then you should understand that most of the jokes reflect modern Japanese culture. I dont pretend i understand even half of pucks jokes, because a lot of them make fun of anime's i havent seen, or things about Japanese culture that i dont understand.

In fact, i dont understand most of the jokes puck, everella, or isidro say unless they are explained on this board. And after that, they lose their punch...(if they had any to begin with...)

I like Isidoro, pretty much I would say in the story, from the very first moment he was introduced.
With Isidoro, Miura makes Guts seem cooler while on the same time he holds his own personality, thus making it seem less artificial. Remember the remarks of Isidoro about Guts from the very first time he saw him against the Kushans!
Farnese, is another thing like this, but because she is kinda problematic, she is not enough at 100% to emphasize Guts' "coolness" reliably, hehe.
Just remember the scene, when Guts was teaching Isidro to spar! Wasn't that sweet?
Now, Isidoro, apart from Guts has his own strong points too. The way he comments on Shielke, physically and verbally are a very cool IMHO add to the story. Guess what, I think one day they will get married! And you must have known, Shielke's husband, don't you? Poor Isidro... ;D ;D ;D

BiQ_

" ... "
I have no problem with Isidro's character or his comic relief value, and actually I happen to think it serves the story well. He's definitely THE part of Guts' off-beat team that makes it so off-beat it is and I kind of like it.

Well... OK, there is one problem with Isidro: ever since he has been around, Puck has been converted into total comic-relief which is NOT nice imho. Occasional jokes from Puck were fine and well, but only because he was at least some extent a serious character. Losing that facet of Puck's personality is something I don't like at all.

But then again, I have read current chapters only from scans (Definitely buying every DH Berserk volume as quickly as they get to Europe ... Stupid licensing agreements hindering the free trade... >:( ) so I guess I have absolutely no right to complain.

E

EtherGhost

Ishidoro is like the Jar Jar Binks of Berserk. Enough said.

(well, not THAT bad but you get the idea)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
EtherGhost said:
Through the many volumes of Berserk, I have felt many things about the characters and situations. But only one time have I felt true disappointment with this work and it is when I realized Isidro was going to stay in the story.

Why, oh why?

Here's my explanation for why I dislike Isidro so much, in no specific order.

Wow, you're an idiot. With your first point you blow this whole argument, considering Isidro exemplifies one of the main themes of the story.

Maybe you'll do better posting under a new account, good luck. ;)

-Griffith

I don't mind Ishidoro. At first he got on my nerves, but now I enjoy his presence in the story. Really, what would Berserk be like without that loud-mouthed brat? ;)

EtherGhost said:
Ishidoro is like the Jar Jar Binks of Berserk.
Who's Jar Jar Binks?

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Isidro to me seems to have a sort of Kenshinishness to himself. What I mean by that is that he is usually not serious but at poinst he can be (Somewhat like Kenshin with the "oro"s). In some battles he seems to be able to be more and more serious as Berserk progresses. I feel that maybe like Kenshin was when things start to get deeply horrid that he will become more and more serious just as a showing of the changing of situations. Sorry for using Kenshin as an example but i can't remeber anyone else with that personality.

Anyway I feel that it's opinions such as that that made animeworks cut out Puck. Berserk is a dark series but it isn't always so cryptic.

Demented Swordsman

so I pranked him.. to death with a tire iron!
Can't say much that hasn't already been said to back the little man up. That having been said, he's got skills that remind me of Jeadau(pretty accurate with throwing stuff, & hes not a terrible swordsman), an attitude that reminds me of Corkus(pretty negative & goofy), & a similar drive that Guts had as a kid swingin his sword after Gambino sliced his nose.

Another thing is that he was a wandering kid in such a violent era, that speaks volumes for his adaptability & willingness to survive.

Griffith said:
Maybe you'll do better posting under a new account, good luck. ;)

Wow a bit too harsh isnt it?

He is just a bit irritated by Isidro behavior that all, so there is no need to do until that extend

He reduced Malf's post count to zero. Which I thought was funny as hell. But banning someone for having an opinion is a little harsh. To each their own though. As for Ishidoro, I think he's a good character. I like how he's really starting to pull his weight on the battle field. More confidence in himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom