Isidro must go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Harsh? Bah, griff did him a favor. Now he can make a new account under a different name, and have a fresh start. Its not good to have the first post you make in sk.net with everyone flaming you...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
DemonX said:
One of the few examples when an admin deletes an account, helping the person using the account.., ::)

Huh? Envious of old ghosty?

dwarfkicker said:
He reduced Malf's post count to zero. Which I thought was funny as hell. But banning someone for having an opinion is a little harsh. To each their own though.

For the record, I didn't ban him, I deleted him. ;D

-Griffith

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
THEY HAVE NO OPINION ONLY THE GREAT MIURA AND HIS ADMINS WALTER AND GRIFFITH HAVE OPINONS!
They (those whose opinion doesn't count)are also those that buy Berserk and pay Miura rent.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Having read the first three volumes in English now, I have some understanding of why Puck has been stuck in comic relief mode for the last 6+ volumes.

He's not vital anymore.

Now before you go priming your flame-throwers, hear me out. When the story first began, we knew nothing of Guts' history, motivations, or his personality. The only glimpse we got into his psyche (pre-Golden Age) was Puck's empathetic link to the big guy. Without that, Guts would have been too raw and psychotic to appeal as the protagonist of the story--unless the story was being targeted at complete psychopaths who enjoy senseless bloodshed.

After the Golden Age concluded, we the humble readers understood what drove Guts, we could empathize with him without the constant need for Puck's interpretation. But, being the Black Swordsman still, Guts needed something akin to a conscience, someone to question the sheer barbarity of his actions. Puck filled the Jiminy Cricket role admirably here. After Serpico, Farneze, and Isidro arrived, things changed. Guts now had a group of people travelling with him, relieving Puck of alot of his duties. No longer the only comic relief in the otherwise pitch-black fantasy of Berserk, no longer vital as the only person who could confront Guts about his actions, no longer the only one running decoy while Guts delivered the coup de gras, Puck has been robbed of almost all his importance. Once the scene shifts to Elfhelm, he will likely either revert to serious mode, or leave the story altogether. I'm hoping for the former.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
roberto999 said:
They (those whose opinion doesn't count)are also those that buy Berserk and pay Miura rent.

Yeah, if they can prove they don't just download it like a lot of people around this here Internet. ;)

-Griffith

dwarfkicker said:
I downloaded the volumes as well. But that hasn't stopped me from buying the first three volumes. Purchase a volume, delete a volume.
Same here. I've bought every volume published by Dark Horse to this point and plan on buying the rest of the series. If the Japanese volumes were accessible to me, I'd buy them too. I don't trust ordering anything online.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
dwarfkicker said:
I downloaded the volumes as well. But that hasn't stopped me from buying the first three volumes. Purchase a volume, delete a volume.
Oh because those $12 aren't going to go through Dark Horse, then YA and then get to Mirua as an insignificant amount right? I own all up to 24 in japanese and #1 in engrish so I have no need to feel guilty, using text translations since 2002.

I don't feel guilty either. I shouldn't feel guilty for buying the darkhorse releases instead of the japanese releases. Kinda of pointless looking at the pictures and then looking over at text translations. But if you or others don't mind doing that then hey, all the power to ya. I'm all about convenience.

ShinHell9

dwarfkicker said:
I don't feel guilty either. I shouldn't feel guilty for buying the darkhorse releases instead of the japanese releases. Kinda of pointless looking at the pictures and then looking over at text translations. But if you or others don't mind doing that then hey, all the power to ya. I'm all about convenience.
I'm just saying, i wouldn't see him getting paid as muc for the english ones as he does japanese.

ShinHell9

dwarfkicker said:
Wouldn't he get royalties though?
Of course but it's passing through two publishing companies, considering the 2nd one took the time to translate men DH will take a bigger cut, then YA will take another, and then Mirua gets less. but thats if the whole world bought the english, since he gets a bit from the english it does pay, but if everyone bought the english his account balandce would drop significantly.

What about for the german, italian, not sure about a french or spanish version, but he would still get royalties from them too right? If yes then he's cashing in from all of them plus when the individual volumes are released in japan that's where he would make the most then right? Sorry if that was all kinda jumbled. Here in PA it's a little late, especially after a long work day.

ShinHell9

dwarfkicker said:
What about for the german, italian, not sure about a french or spanish version, but he would still get royalties from them too right? If yes then he's cashing in from all of them plus when the individual volumes are released in japan that's where he would make the most then right? Sorry if that was all kinda jumbled. Here in PA it's a little late, especially after a long work day.
You always make royalties but the more publishing companies/agents it goes through the less the creator gets.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Depends. I understand that copyright laws are a little different than the ones where I live, but surely Miura had the good sense to license his characters? Even with additional publishers/agents, he's still going to ask for a certain fee, and they'll either take it or haggle. Bottom line? In either instance, you pay more for a translated version than for the original Japanese. And look at it this way; he's getting paid twice for the same material while still producing more new stuff. And assuming he did license his characters, he gets royalties every time their likenesses are used. Which includes the translated manga, the anime, the AoW figurines, posters, et al. He's no Bill Gates, sure, but I doubt he's living on instant ramen and powdered miso.

Yeah even though he wouldnt get as much royalties as if you bought the Japanese version i'm sure Dark horse paid him a shitload to have the rights to publish it in english.

Its difficult to find manga where I am but I intend on getting the Dark horse version when I find it, though it would shit me if they decided to stop publishing them in english, I have a thing about having to finish the collections I start.

Anyone here know if they censored Berserk parts in the Dark horse version that may have been offensive? Dark horse are pretty good for not doing that from what I know but with something like Berserk... I guess I wouldnt be totally surprised, though extremely disappointed if they did.

ShinHell9

dwarfkicker said:
Nothing has been censored in the first three volumes. They don't want to censor Berserk because it would make it boring.
That and they know the people herre would send headhunters after them.

Dont underestimate censorship, its only up to volume 3, I fear that when it gets to parts that is more extreme and they can get away with it taking it out even Dark horse may try...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Great topic. Even greater spiral into off topic nonsense, lead by once again, little Hawks. I am perpetually amazed by your tenacity.

Locked for the benefit of my sanity.

lock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom