Estimating Guts' age

ParaParaJMo

Para Para Hawk
With the white streak Guts has now, I decided to estimate how old he is.

OK, when Guts first leaves Gambino, he was 11. Then he joined Griffith when he was 14 and stayed with him until he was 17. Then he left for a year and he was 18 or so in the Hawks. How many years has passed since then (in Berserk time of course).

At most I'd say he'd by 21 now, right?

Re:Estimating Gutt's age

ParaParaJMo said:
Then he joined Griffith when he was 14 and stayed with him until he was 17.

Wrong!

He meet Griffith when he was 15... The manga indicate 4 yrs later...

ParaParaJMo said:
At most I'd say he'd by 21 now, right?

This i would say it is better, but i goes for 22

And yes, this issue had been discuss a lot and lots of time, i hope you search carefully in this forum before you post the same topic again

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

First of all, who's "Gutt" (as indicated by the subject heading) ?

Second, http://skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/timeline

This is by no means the "official" timeline of BERSERK, however, it is as close as we've come as a community, thus far, to piecing together a chronological sequence for the series.

Walter said:

Oh c'mon, he is new, just correct him

The official name for Gatsu in English is Guts, just for your info, this board doesnt really accept other name

I always believed Guts was no older than 21, however up until I saw the timeline from here I wouldn't have thought Griffith was two years older.
From the top of my head (and correct me if im wrong) but the only idea the reader could ever get from guessing Griffiths age is when Guts says when he first joins the hawks is that he is roughly the same age as him.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

It took a long time to approximate Griffith / Guts' age differences and let me say ... it's not nearly as simple as getting a straight answer from Guts or Miura. I dont think Miura himself knows the age difference. He certainly makes it complicated enough in the manga, mostly early on ... and let's not forget that Guts technically hasn't aged since Lost Children began =)

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
He's been here as long as I have, how is he new?

ParaParaJMo

Name:  ParaParaJMo
Position:  Of the World
Date Registered:  August 09, 2001, 11:35:45 AM

Vampier_Hunter_Bob

Name:  Vampire_Hunter_Bob  
Position:  Of the Abyss
Date Registered:  August 05, 2001, 02:39:11 AM

Shame on you, Smith.

DemonX said:
Shame on you, Smith.

*Ahem* a bit of mistake rather, but there is nothing to be shameful... people do make mistake, regardless how good they are

i think hes around 21 or 22,

but if hes 21 and cuts someone in half,

its probably the same effect as if he is 22 ;D

just a thought :D

- c

IgnusDei

mmh-hmm good.

Walter said:

Second, http://skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/timeline

This is by no means the "official" timeline of BERSERK, however, it is as close as we've come as a community, thus far, to piecing together a chronological sequence for the series.

"Schierke summons the water elemental Windinu, and floods Enoch village, ridding it of the Troll Horde."

Windinu? isn't it supposed to be UNDINE?

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Re: Estimating Gutt's age

I never really got the whole shit with griffith's age, I had just assumed he was as young as Gut's in their first encounter because of Gut's comment about how young the band of the hawk looked, and then from Casca's whole flashback scene we saw Griffith at an even younger age, so if he was the same age as Gut's, he was leading a mercenary band at the age of fifteen, even in medivel times this does not seem possible, or very plausible(granted Griffith is a good looking young man and has a good deal of charisma).

Furthermore, I had assumed Casca was the same age as both of them as well, if not younger, so when Griffith and tBotH first met her she was most likely somewhere around what eleven or ten? Meaning that Griffith was possible leading a mercenary band at the age of eleven or twelve!?

Someone, please help me...

Re: Estimating Gutt's age

Mr. Badguy said:
I never really got the whole shit with griffith's age, I had just assumed he was as young as Gut's in their first encounter because of Gut's comment about how young the band of the hawk looked, and then from Casca's whole flashback scene we saw Griffith at an even younger age, so if he was the same age as Gut's, he was leading a mercenary band at the age of fifteen, even in medivel times this does not seem possible, or very plausible(granted Griffith is a good looking young man and has a good deal of charisma).

Furthermore, I had assumed Casca was the same age as both of them as well, if not younger, so when Griffith and tBotH first met her she was most likely somewhere around what eleven or ten? Meaning that Griffith was possible leading a mercenary band at the age of eleven or twelve!?

Someone, please help me...

It's proven that Guts was 15 when he first met with the Hawks, the most we ever find out about Griffiths age is that he in Gut's words is roughly the same age as him. As Walter has said there has been alot of uncertainties to how old Griffith is in comparison to Guts but insist he is probably two years older than Guts. I might say its very possible that he is no more than a year older personally, but I can see people believing he is older for a couple of reasons:

When Caska first met Griffith she said she was 12, and Griffith looked like he wasnt much younger than when Guts first met him if at all, but I believe Griffith was about 14 or 15 at the time. If that were true though then she is only 14 or 15 at the very most when Guts comes into the story and Griffith would be 16 or 17. It isnt the same as the timeline but it is rational. I can believe more easily that Griffith was no younger than 14 when he started putting the band together and explains why he looks so similar in age when he meets Guts.  ;)

The timeline however suggests that Griffith was 13 when he found Caska who we know for a fact at the time was 12. To be honest i'm a little skeptical about that, but if she were 12 and Griffith was 13 at the time (which is possible, after all it had been said that they were planning on just being thiefs until they could get enough as a mercenary group) but that would also mean When Guts as a 15 year old comes into the story, Griffith is 17 and Caska is 16. I just always believed she would be a little younger than Guts if there is any age difference.

I'm not saying the timeline is wrong, just saying what I think, If I am contradicting myself then someone please tell me.

Top Bottom