Lith's colors & tutorials

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
:serpico: I get Stukata's point, however pretensiously stated. I already know I'm not using proper fine art techniques on these. (although funny enough I DO have a fine arts degree, so suck it.. :carcus: ...pity it's in computer modelling) I'm using them to practise and learn. I'm only just getting into painterly color techniques. It'll be some time before I kick ass like someone with an actual advanced painting class under their belt. A few illustrator friends of mine said my colors suck (well, aren't their level of pro quality) too, you're not alone.

That said, tinting the whole thing with a bigass orange gamma adjustment isn't exactly a sophisticated approach, either. :troll:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Lithrael said:
That said, tinting the whole thing with a bigass orange gamma adjustment isn't exactly a sophisticated approach, either.   :troll:

It's just about on par with my patented, super secret technique of using the Variation option in Photoshop to give any random crap I color a unified look when I'm done.

"Hmmm, looks a little helter skelter, but a click here and now it looks... Magenta!" :guts:

P.S. Should I just put the dino back in my goofy sig? Looks like a Seagull flew in front of the camera or something.

Kagami

Goo!
"Griffith No More!" said:
P.S. Should I just put the dino back in my goofy sig? Looks like a Seagull flew in front of the camera or something.

The sig is a bit big (dwahahah) but I really like it :)

I do like the orange gamma adjustment. Something about berserk and warm colors really look swell to me, but the original one that Lithrael did looks like it would fit better in the manga. Dunno, one is a cool wall-paper the other a cool manga page? Does that make sense or am I talking out of my ass :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
That said, tinting the whole thing with a bigass orange gamma adjustment isn't exactly a sophisticated approach, either.

You just can't understand, you're not an ARTIST. :troll:

CnC said:
Hey proj, before we jump the gun and start assigning credit.  Stukaka's is Liths with a color overlay (slightly edited).

Secondly, Stukaka, any teacher that tells you that art has laws is a hack, I'm sorry.  Its sometimes abused for its lack of laws.  The art of color is theoretical. period.  Sorry, but thats the end of that debate.
God please forgive this tortured and mistaken fool of the rough destiny ,I pray to you to forgive his horrible and unbearable sins which he cannot understand

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Stukata said:
God please forgive this tortured and mistaken fool of the rough destiny ,I pray to you to forgive his horrible and unbearable sins which he cannot understand

You're wearing out your welcome with these gratuitously disrespectful posts, kid. You've brought nothing here but unwarranted arrogance until now, and haven't answered any of the serious points people made regarding what you said. I recommend you to calm down and follow your own advice (i.e. stop posting in this thread). Simply put: if you have nothing productive to say then don't say anything.

Listen Aazealh,i didnt want to get in any fight with you or CnC.
I was talking to Lithrael not you guys.I didn't want any comment from
you either.And as you can see Lithrael understanded what i wanted to tell her.I know my picture's gamma is wrong, i wanted to show her that the coloring must have common atmosphere.I'm not going to tremble infront of you just because you are the Administrator of the forum like i'm some insect compared to you.The people in this forum has to sit quiet and respect you
because you stick yourselves and do whatever you like.Thats why i hate people like you saying "I'm in charge here so you'l respect whatever i say if not you're getting banned!"fine,do it i don't think that will change anything in my life for worse.When you are so inteligent and knowligedable go and make an art shool fine i don't care but please do not interupt me when i am advising someone.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Hey guys.. lets all just take a breather. This is Lith's colors thread, and were filling it up with all this debate on color theory? If you really feel the need to argue your own points, then please try to take it to a new topic :) we don't want to spam up Lith's topic now do we? I think everyone should just calm down and sort of drop it :guts:

Now.. I anxiously await your next coloration Lith! I'm sure it will be excelent.

Kagami

Goo!
IsolatioN said:
Hey guys.. lets all just take a breather. This is Lith's colors thread, and were filling it up with all this debate on color theory? If you really feel the need to argue your own points, then please try to take it to a new topic :)

I 2nd that notion. Please, if you wana have "The great art debate" then just start a new post.

Anyways, Stukata, why don't you start a new topic regarding your own work? Show us some more of your colorations and what not?

And by the way, it's not a matter of people being "OMFG it's Aaz the great! ph34r his pow3rR!!!1!"... seriously man. It's just a message board. Respect all around.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Stukata said:
I was talking to Lithrael not you guys.I didn't want any comment from
you either.

That doesn't matter, you made erroneous statements, you got replies, you conveniently ignored them while replying worthlessly. We're on a discussion forum, so if you don't want people to comment on what you say then don't post. And if you do, don't complain about potential reactions.

Stukata said:
And as you can see Lithrael understanded what i wanted to tell her.I know my picture's gamma is wrong, i wanted to show her that the coloring must have common atmosphere.

I'm afraid you're mistaken on her response, really. Her colors sure aren't perfect, but your post wasn't valid in any case. She's humble about her work, that doesn't automatically imply your "critic" was right, and actually it wasn't. People pointed it out, you couldn't reply due to your vast ignorance on the subject, case closed. Oh yeah, and should a picture really have atmosphere? You're captain obvious or something?

Stukata said:
I'm not going to tremble infront of you just because you are the Administrator of the forum like i'm some insect compared to you.The people in this forum has to sit quiet and respect you
because you stick yourselves and do whatever you like.Thats why i hate people like you saying "I'm in charge here so you'l respect whatever i say if not you're getting banned!"fine,do it i don't think that will change anything in my life for worse.When you are so inteligent and knowligedable go and make an art shool fine i don't care but please do not interupt me when i am advising someone.

Hey, you see I think I was nice enough, but now playtime's over. No more blah blah and boohooing. You've still not shown any of your personal work which I assume is non-existent, you still haven't answered any of the replies you got concerning your ridiculous "advice". You're just a 17 years old teenager from Bulgaria that's trying hard to give people lessons while he's got nothing to say, and is now miserably attempting to pass himself as a martyr since he can't coherently reply to people that actually know what they're talking about. Off-topic trolling time's over.

Kagami said:
Anyways, Stukata, why don't you start a new topic regarding your own work? Show us some more of your colorations and what not?

Not going to happen. And you guys are nice and all but if Stukata's not listening to an admin and the moderator of the section he's most probably not going to listen to you, so don't waste your time. People like him only learn the hard way it seems, not a problem with me. Thanks for the effort in any case, I appreciate it.

Aazealh said:
Hey, you see I think I was nice enough, but now playtime's over. No more blah blah and boohooing. You've still not shown any of your personal work which I assume is non-existent, you still haven't answered any of the replies you got concerning your ridiculous "advice". You're just a 17 years old teenager from Bulgaria that's trying hard to give people lessons while he's got nothing to say, and is now miserably attempting to pass himself as a martyr since he can't coherently reply to people that actually know what they're talking about. Off-topic trolling time's over.

Aaz ol' pal, your my
hero.jpg

Oh Lith, How's the Sonja-Irvine flash project coming along?

Lithrael

The flash is progressing well. I'm still a slow and lazy creature though. Rest assured it's not dead, at least. The Serpico fight will get finished first, because I'm so shockingly embarassed recording Sonja's dialog that I must wait till everybody leaves the house.

And, wow, guys, you can rein the dogs in a bit, here! :isidro: Poor Stukata. He was only trying to help, and then there's this explosion because his English came across as a little high-and-mighty, and incorrect with the specific art terms, I really think it was unintentional. :schierke: His general point of the value of better mixed and composition-minded colors is correct.

Although, it's nice to know I can just come here and say the word, if I ever need anyone killed! :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Lithrael said:
And, wow, guys, you can rein the dogs in a bit, here! :isidro: Poor Stukata. He was only trying to help, and then there's this explosion because his English came across as a little high-and-mighty, and incorrect with the specific art terms, I really think it was unintentional. :schierke: His general point of the value of better mixed and composition-minded colors is correct.

Although, it's nice to know I can just come here and say the word, if I ever need anyone killed! :guts:

Well, allow me to reiterate that constructive criticism is encouraged, if not necessary. If theres something wrong with one of your colorings, my colorings, whoever, I think it should be pointed out.

Art doesn't really have rules. We're judging these colorings based on the assumption that we're trying to accurately portray colors and atmosphere of that chosen scene/page/panel. Any deviation from those rules should be stated or risk being incorrectly critiqued.

In the case of this argument with Stukaka, he suggested (through incorrect terminology) that there was something that needed to be fixed with one of your pages. Now, he quoted 2 completely different pages than the one he edited. The ones he quoted I thought were fine, the one he edited I kinda agreed with (didn't like the bright green bg on one of the panels, but he cropped that and did something else). And since all we can do is judge on the assumption that the colors are supposed to represent the scene, Aaz was correct in pointing out that making everything red, while unifying, is out of place.
It was at the point where he based his argument on our apparent lack of art degrees when it became disrespectful, and no longer constructive ("tortured and mistaken fool of the rough destiny" was a tad pathetic, yet somewhat funny). I don't care what language barriers there might be, this isn't constructive.

So, basically, critique away. Point out what you think could be improved without hesitation, but when someone disagrees with you, handle the defense of your argument with politeness and courtesy. This is how I'd like this section to run.
Cheers...

PS. We need more colors, lith.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Poor Stukata. He was only trying to help, and then there's this explosion because his English came across as a little high-and-mighty, and incorrect with the specific art terms, I really think it was unintentional. :schierke:

Nah, poor nothing. Just read what people post objectively, he was a pretentious ass and that has nothing to do with his English. The fact he used incorrect terms while claiming to be an eminent art scholar unlike you drudges only further aggravated his insistence at discarding any comment he got as if he was above all, but that's certainly not the reason things went bad (on his own initiative). There's nothing unintentional here, and his vocabulary was good enough to write half-assed flames (unintentional I'm sure :schierke: :schierke: :schierke: :schierke: :schierke: :schierke: :schierke:), so you don't have to try to be compassionate about it because he's a foreigner or whatever the reason may be. Besides he said himself he didn't even care so don't bother yourself with it. Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be laughing at us all the day his work becomes renown as law-defining art. Let me guess: he'll be making Monochromes.

Lithrael said:
His general point of the value of better mixed and composition-minded colors is correct.

His point was that you need to have one color defining one page, like an overall tint ("when the hole composition is in one gamma it looks much better"). This is what he said and there wasn't much more to it than that. Well mixed and composition-minded colors are a good thing to use when coloring something, as opposed to badly arranged and crude colors. Now that's a very pertinent point but while I don't want to be presumptuous and say you knew it already, it sort of comes off as obvious to me. And since he used wrong examples, wrong vocabulary, wrong methods and insisted on the wrong aspects of his post instead of stressing the generally correct point one could see in his statement... Well you see what I mean. Like CnC said, as long as people are constructive and polite there's no problem, but it wasn't our friend's case here. His loss.

Lithrael said:
Although, it's nice to know I can just come here and say the word, if I ever need anyone killed!

I'll always try to disprove bullshit whether it's about you, Proj2501, spikeyhairedcadet or anybody else. It's a matter of principles. :SK:

Lithrael

Ok! Back to the colors! :guts:

Just a couple of panels to keep the ol' appetites whetted.

While working on that flash, this panel caught my eye, so here's a rare understated, muted color job from Lith.
http://www.lithrael.com/ig/albums/userpics/10001/gutsdark.jpg

Whereas this one is just cause ARRGH I WANT 267 TO BE OUT ALREADY RRRRRH :troll:

266_19clr.jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey hey! Glad to get more posts here. I'm a happy camper.

I like the skin tones. The blue and red contrast works well. However I would vary the blood color a bit. As there are parts that are drying on his face I would make it darker in places, if not all over.
Just my two cents. Good work :badbone:

Oh... and 267 is out, yaknow. :guts:

Lithrael

Good point, CnC.  I'll fix it later.  Or at least keep that in mind for next time!  :carcus:

...and it whaa? Damn!!! I needs to pay me some better attention!

Lithrael

[quote author=Darkadien Zurel]
single frames or not those are so hot!, keep up the good work i want moar!  :guts:
[/quote]

Ok then! I haven't managed any more full pages yet but I've just whipped out a few very pretty panels from Episode 270. Enjoy! :carcus:

270_10_clr2.jpg

Man!! The Berserk Armor is such a tough thing for an amateur colorist to tackle. Thankfully it's so damned cool it looks great regardless:

http://www.lithrael.com/ig/albums/userpics/10001/270_11_clr.jpg

and a panel from a previous ep..
http://www.lithrael.com/ig/albums/userpics/10001/cuteguts.jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos
damn good work here, lith.
I especially like the first 2.

good work rendering the teeth and gums of the makara

Top Bottom