Lith's colors & tutorials

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Pow!

Looks fantastic. My only gripe is the grainy blacks, but that's the scans quality and not your fault! Good job =)

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
New work in progress!

293_20_21_wip.jpg

Never fear, haven't abandoned the other two I was halfway done with - still working on those. This one will probably be a while getting done too, I have to hunt up some of our other Kushan colors (to swipe a better looking color scheme) and then see if I can borrow CnC's eye for a critique. :guts:

BTW, apologies that I haven't got the coppermine gallery back up yet. The images are all intact & at the same URLs but the browser interface is blarg ded. Just FYI.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Woo! Lith's back! :serpico:

S'lookin' good! First thing that struck me was how saturated the blue-green hue is on the armor. I think it hit me 'cause I'm so used to seeing warm tones for the kushan uniform in my head. However the color choice is cool, and I like the idea (maybe knock the saturation down a tad, since it is night time... up to you).
I realize this is not done but as you go forward in completing this panel keep in mind how close the light must be to their faces. Narratively, that's what the audience is doing, bringing the light closer to their faces. The shadows that are indicated in the linework are sharp and this sort of mentality might work a bit better when coloring the armor than the softer, more air-brushy shading.
The vignetting that you're doing works well, and I really like that. I would probably take it even further and push the figures in the back gradually darker so that the foreground figures pop a bit (added contrast). A quick way to guage where to take the contrast would be to look at it in black and white:
lithcritsr3.jpg

In this "light" you can see how well the foreground characters are working and where you might want to take the background people.

But beyond that I really like the flesh tones! I eagerly await for the final product! ...I also eagerly await that pic of Guts in the smoke :)

Lithrael

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

And CnC, your advice is crazy helpful as always. I'm very thankful! I'll be back for more when I get the next draft under way. :guts:

Lithrael

Ok, got a first draft finished. I still have to try sharpening up the shading, so it's still too diffuse really right now - I'll get to that in a bit.

293_20-21_c.jpg

full res:
http://www.lithrael.com/berserk/293_20-21_c_full.jpg

Lithrael

Thanks guys! Ah, Skullknight is so inspiring :D

Well, I'm still working on a couple pages, mostly that sick shot of Guts from episode 278. Here's what I've got so far...

http://www.lithrael.com/berserk/278_06_prog.jpg

Looking back at the last wip of that one, I think I had a cool-ass color filter on it that I've forgotten about - I'll have to make sure I recreate that. I'm liking this so far but a lot of it feels kind of flat to me right now. And holy crap I need a new monitor. I thought most of it was black till just now. XD

CnC

Ad Oculos
woo! A personal favorite of mine :guts:

Anyways I really like where this one is going. The bluish-green tones of the armor and skin are very nice. The blood seems a taaad bright but it's acceptable

Lithrael

Thanks! :guts: Okay.. still not done with mad-fucked-up Guts V2, but here is the finished version of another one I posted as a WIP a while ago. The Bound Beast, from episode 289.

289p16-17thumb.jpg

Full res: http://www.lithrael.com/berserk/289p16-17c.jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos
Great job Lith! That's a hard page to bring color to. I like the subtle shading on the fur, the brown hues on the chains, and (of course :beast:) that eye.

Top Bottom