The difference between Young Animal and the tankouban...

I recently bought a pretty sizeable amount of back issues of Young Animal from a friend of mine. Anyway, when I was comparing the images from it to the volumes themselves, I thought I noticed what were some slight "touch ups", if you will. Anyway, I was just curious as to whether this is just the result of YA's low print quality, or does Miura retouch some of the art that is farmed out to his assistants (i.e. Hagiwara on Bastard!!)? Is it just that the people who run Young Animal are cheap bastards and I'm just not noticing these little things due to print quality? If I'm just being stupid here, feel free to flame my n00b ass.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Miura has been known to re-do some minor (sometimes major) artwork when converting from serial episodes to the collected volumes. There used to be a Japanese site that kept track of every one of them, but as with most everything on the internet (except sk.net of course), it's dead, lost, deserted.

Changes include: re-drawing Guts so he doesn't look like a fathead (several instances I remember came from volume 8 ). Expressions for several characters were re-done, on a pretty constant basis. Episode 83 was completely omitted.

Outside of ep.83, there were never any HUGE changes.

Thanks for the clarification. It really isn't fair of me to compare Miura to Hagi, since it's pretty easy to touch up your work when you have a mental breakdown and stop working about every month.

It's not linked directly to the art, but I think in the last tankoubon Volume (26) there were also 2 new pages, that were not in the Episode when published in the YA. (Episode 225, pages 195 & 196.)

Top Bottom