The New Picture Thread

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
I don't get it. I guess I'm just slow. :???:

SA stands for the famous http://www.somethingawful.com/ site. The http://www.somethingISawful.com/ link SaiyajinNoOuji posted is a parody featuring a page from Maddox's site. It was done following an interview of a SA.com writer on G4TV.

TheSkyTraveller said:
Actually, the kids scare me more, and the sad thing is that there are artists that actually use Poser as reference to draw from.

Poser always had pretty horrible results, true. I fooled around with it a few years ago... It's really just good to have fun for 10 minutes by making the puppets into stupid positions. I can't believe some people would use it as a reference to draw...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
SA stands for the famous http://www.somethingawful.com/ site. The http://www.somethingISawful.com/ link SaiyajinNoOuji posted is a parody featuring a page from Maddox's site.

Actually I saw the interview of this guy on G4 and I noticed some tension, I was wondering what the story was.

Poser always had pretty horrible results, true. I fooled around with it a few years ago... It's really just good to have fun for 10 minutes by making the puppets into stupid positions. I can't believe some people would use it as a reference to draw...

Imagine one of those wooden manikins people use to gauge proportions and put into a 3d program. Thats how people use it to draw. However, IMO, that would probably take longer.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Actually I saw the interview of this guy on G4 and I noticed some tension, I was wondering what the story was.

Well basically David Thorpe totally confused the guy by defaming SA.com and generally giving false information, and as a result the host looked like a total idiot. Now since he said they took all their material from Maddox (another popular/notorious Internet personality) and in the end corrected the guy saying the site's URL was somethingISawful.com, somebody (Chris Putnam?) incorporated it as a joke.

CnC said:
Imagine one of those wooden manikins people use to gauge proportions and put into a 3d program. Thats how people use it to draw.

Oh, I imagine it perfectly well, it doesn't change anything to what I said though.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Well basically David Thorpe totally confused the guy by defaming SA.com and generally giving false information, and as a result the host looked like a total idiot. Now since he said they took all their material from Maddox (another popular/notorious Internet personality) and in the end corrected the guy saying the site's URL was somethingISawful.com, somebody (Chris Putnam?) incorporated it as a joke.

interesting. Actually I felt the interview was a waste of time, for both parties.

Aazealh said:
Oh, I imagine it perfectly well, it doesn't change anything to what I said though.
k
Aazealh said:
I can't believe some people would use it as a reference to draw...

I would believe it to be like one of those wooden manikins people use to gauge proportions and put into a 3d program. Thats how people use it to draw. However, IMO, that would probably take longer.
:guts:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Posing stuff in 3d is harder than it seems, since you can only move stuff in 2 dimensions at a time.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
The whole point Aaz and I were trying to make is just that Poser looks like shit, so it's bad to use it for reference.  If you look at the way the kids' joints bend or are attached to their body, it just looks unnatural.  Isn't the "rapeface" evidence enough?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheSkyTraveller said:
The whole point Aaz and I were trying to make is just that Poser looks like shit, so it's bad to use it for reference.

Yeah... Didn't want to insist, but I've never seen a non-heavily modified Poser model that didn't look like a broken puppet or even a scene that wasn't awkward. I'm sure they progressed since the old version 3 I know about, but I'm nevertheless amazed that it still exists. Who uses it with concrete, professional results anyway?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Yeah... Didn't want to insist, but I've never seen a non-heavily modified Poser model that didn't look like a broken puppet or even a scene that wasn't awkward. I'm sure they progressed since the old version 3 I know about, but I'm nevertheless amazed that it still exists. Who uses it with concrete, professional results anyway?

Its still the joke of the 3d industry. Nobody I know uses it, nor would any self-respecting modeler use it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Its still the joke of the 3d industry. Nobody I know uses it, nor would any self-respecting modeler use it.

Well, that was just a rhetorical question, I know that it sucks. :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
ah. rhetorical questions are hard to pick up sometimes in text :guts:

perhaps :griff: would be the emoticon for it? Sort of an emotion for "I already know the answer."

My friend went to comicon (comic-con?) and apparently poser had a booth up. They were selling it as reference material. They were stating that comics such as Gantz (a manga I haven't read, any good?) was using 3d to do all their reference work. Whether or not they were using _poser_ specifically was unclear.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
ah. rhetorical questions are hard to pick up sometimes in text :guts:

perhaps :griff: would be the emoticon for it? Sort of an emotion for "I already know the answer."

It might have to do with my wording, I intended to be more direct at first (guess I should have). :puck: Anyway, why not :griff: yeah, :void: isn't bad either as far as "I KNOW" goes. :guts: (trying to beat the "most emoticons in a single line" record)

CnC said:
My friend went to comicon (comic-con?) and apparently poser had a booth up. They were selling it as reference material. They were stating that comics such as Gantz (a manga I haven't read, any good?) was using 3d to do all their reference work. Whether or not they were using _poser_ specifically was unclear.

Hmm, seems like the kind of advertisement that you're never able to check later on, apart from the original guy that said so and would probably deny ever saying it if you planned to verify its authenticity. :schierke: Kind of like Media Blaster claiming every year that the second season of the Berserk anime will be out soon... Anyway, Gantz is quite popular, but I'm not a fan myself.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Thread tag: you're it.

Aazealh said:
Kind of like Media Blaster claiming every year that the second season of the Berserk anime will be out soon... Anyway, Gantz is quite popular, but I'm not a fan myself.

Wait, theres no second season? :griff:

Yea the fiend who went to comicon/comic-con/caughmec-kon was singing Gantz's praises. I'll have to check it out.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I remember reading in the end of one of the episodes on Omanga (which I assure you are no longer on my computer) that all the scenes were set up in 3D and then the characters were drawn over them. I guess it was for scale and perspective purposes, but sirta seems a bit excessive to me, kinda takes the point out of actually drawing them.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Since the picture thread is somewhat random right now, here are some random pictures from Wizard World Chicago!

One of the better Vash costumes I've seen...
vashcostume.jpg

And then there were these guys...
bnrpackage.jpg

We also saw Blade walking up and down the same isle for an hour, with his comic book box in tow on a dolly.  Kind of ruined the image...but as one of our friends said "Even Blade can't pass up these deals!"

Top Bottom