Finally, Lost Episode Scans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, and there are two valid links on page 2, it's nice to see that you checked the thread before asking... Thanks for doing it next time.

Franz

It's a dolphin.
Silly Walter, the purpose of the link (which obviously isn't mine, ROB >:O) was to have pre-translated scans, and not a Jap one to reference text. :p

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
No flash version to turn the pages, narrate the translation, and wipe my ass for me? This link just won't do!

Episode 83 Scan

Hey guys, I was wondering, is it possible to post Scanlations here on this forum? Because I have the scan of Episode 83 and was wondering if I can post it for people who wants to see it, instead of just words of translation?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Re: Episode 83 Scan

This is how we roll...

http://skullknight.net/manga/83/01.jpg

http://skullknight.net/idea

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
"Griffith No More!" said:
No flash version to turn the pages, narrate the translation, and wipe my ass for me? This link just won't do!

All I could thing was: "Lurk More!"

Meanwhile on Topic: Those of you thinking that the Lost Episode should be included in the American release; keep in mind that watching the special features of a movie on DVD should only be done after you've watched the actual movie. So as you don't have the entire actual film spoiled for you. As for what important plot-point the lost episode reveals, I have a good idea what it is but I don't want to possibly spoil it for anyone. Now, the biggest (in fact nagging) question in my mind is if Miura will change anything about Berserk as a result?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I believe you're not thinking of this the right way, Forest Wraith. The "Lost Episode" was included in Young Animal, and early fans all read it along with the rest of the episodes that soon after became volume 13. It's not a hidden feature revealing the end of the story, rather it's an enlightening part of the story that was removed from it. Going by your movie analogy one should only read episode 83 after they've read the whole series (to its not-yet-released end), but reading it doesn't really spoil anything for the reader as long as he's read past volume 13, it just shines some light on a part of Berserk that is otherwise kept dark and mysterious, and is practically unseen and unmentioned. So yeah, it's true, it was removed so it would stay that way, but does that mean reading it is telling you how the story will end? Hell no.

What does it reveal? A dialog between Griffith and the Idea of Evil. That dialog mostly shines light on the Idea of Evil itself, and even so, nothing incredible is revealed. The God made by man? We already knew that. The existence of the idea, its status, its shape and location? That's in episode 82. To me the most important thing in that episode would be that we learn God's name. Of course the details in there are very interesting and they allow to confirm a lot of hypotheses (and help discard some absurd ones), but overall it's closer to background lore than to the main storyline. The reason it's so good is because it's laying a lot of things on a silver platter that we'd otherwise suspect but be unsure of. Let's not forget that Berserk is first and foremost the story of Guts, and in that regard specifically episode 83 can be seen as one of the most unimportant episodes in the whole series. Its disparition has had no effect whatsoever on the story, it only affected the relative knowledge the readers have of the Berserk world. And really, I think this episode was a bigger deal 10 years ago than it is nowadays.

Now I must say I'm curious about the way you ended your post. You believe that this episode actually reveals a major plot point that nobody thought of, and you're hesitant about posting it because it'd spoil us the ending of Berserk? Please do tell what this plot point is, for I'm pretty sure I and others have considered it already. However, try to keep in mind that the lost episode is not canon. This means that we're still considering what happens in it to be factually accurate because nothing has contradicted it in the story so far, but that it's entirely possible that these events didn't happen that way at all. And this brings me to your last sentence which I'm not sure I fully understand. Miura would change Berserk as a result of what? Clearly, he can change what is shown in episode 83 as much as he wants because it's not officially part of the story, and the fact it narrowed down possibilities for future developments may have played a role in removing it from the series in the first place. But are you saying he'll change Berserk as a result of what's in the lost episode? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Anyway, it was obvious from the start that the lost episode wouldn't be included in the US release, and it indeed wasn't, so at least that matter is taken care of.

Forest Wraith

Well, didn't Miura have the lost episode removed because it revealed to much? I don't mean to act condescending, I was more concerned about those new to the lost episode who haven't had the chance to think it over yet. However, what seems an important hint for me that might reveal a little to much down the road is what The Idea says to Griffith about Griffith's will and desires being it's own. Now, how might it affect things if Griffith's will were no longer completely his own due to the influence of the Demon Child? Although, you are right that that has been let out of the bag in later volumes . . . Maybe there's even something else that I'm missing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
Well, didn't Miura have the lost episode removed because it revealed to much?

He reportedly said in an interview that it revealed too much about the Berserk world, meaning about the Idea of Evil basically (since it's mostly what the episode is about). I can understand his motivation, the IoE's much more impressive in episode 82 than in 83 to me. The lack of information makes it more exciting and mysterious.

Forest Wraith said:
I don't mean to act condescending, I was more concerned about those new to the lost episode who haven't had the chance to think it over yet.

Yeah I know you didn't mean anything bad, but anyone posting on this forum should be spoil-proof as far as Berserk matters go so it's really not necessary to refrain.

Forest Wraith said:
However, what seems an important hint for me that might reveal a little to much down the road is what The Idea says to Griffith about Griffith's will and desires being it's own. Now, how might it affect things if Griffith's will were no longer completely his own due to the influence of the Demon Child? Although, you are right that that has been let out of the bag in later volumes . . . Maybe there's even something else that I'm missing.

Now I think you misunderstood that part. What the Idea of Evil tells Griffith at that point refers to 2 things. The first thing is that the Idea of Evil is a part of mankind's collective consciousness. See what it says in the episode: "This world itself is I, the darkness that dwells in every human heart; this is just the surface of multiple layers of a whole consciousness" and also "I dwell deep in your heart, I am a part of you, you are a part of your kind's consciousness, a part of me." It's not specific to Griffith, it applies to every human being. So with that in mind, the Demon Child's influence on Griffith can not really affect the Idea of Evil in the way you were thinking of.

The second thing it refers to is more pernicious. Read what the Idea of Evil replies to Griffith when he asks if it has been controlling his destiny: "It was established that you would be here since a distant past, by influencing the lower levels of human consciousness, and merging blood with blood, I created the lineage that would give birth to the man you are, to pave the way for the times you would be born in, I manipulated History, and created an appropriate context for you, all the encounters you have had so far, were all a part of the destiny that led you here as well." The Idea of Evil manipulates causality to get what it wants. It created Griffith from nothing only to get him to that point, and everything in his life was arranged with that goal in mind. Nothing was aleatory. The choices Griffith made in his life were those he was supposed to make, including the sacrifice of his soldiers. We can logically assume it's the same for the other members of the God Hand (and even some other people, who knows), and that it'll still be the case in the future.

What this means is that by doing what they want, these chosen people are actually following rails and executing a plan, knowingly or not. It's the beauty of Causality: people are free to do what they want, nothing is coercing them, but what they want has been carefully crafted to be what the Idea of Evil wants them to want. Their will is the Idea of Evil's will, because it created them for that purpose. In this regard, their desire is Its desire as well.

Beautiful, eh? :idea:

Forest Wraith

yes, it is beautiful and I've put a lot of thought into The God of Berserk myself (I love the Idea icon by the way), which remind me that you never replied to my "The Oz Factor and Berserk thread."

Another thing that really stood out for me was that Miura used an interpretation of a Godly being that was bound with philosophical rather then traditional, monotheistic beliefs. The Idea of Evil has some commonalities with philosophy and esoterica but it is very much a part of the mythology of Berserk because it was created entirely by the Berserk Universe. It's self-contained and indigenous to it's environment.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
yes, it is beautiful and I've put a lot of thought into The God of Berserk myself (I love the Idea icon by the way), which remind me that you never replied to my "The Oz Factor and Berserk thread."

I haven't forgotten about it, I just haven't had enough time and motivation to do it yet (Ok, mostly motivation). It's been open in a Firefox tab for months if you want to know.

Forest Wraith said:
Another thing that really stood out for me was that Miura used an interpretation of a Godly being that was bound with philosophical rather then traditional, monotheistic beliefs. The Idea of Evil has some commonalities with philosophy and esoterica but it is very much a part of the mythology of Berserk because it was created entirely by the Berserk Universe. It's self-contained and indigenous to it's environment.

I wouldn't expect anything less, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom