Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

I liked it, didn't have too many problems with it whatsoever. OK there were several scenes which sucked, but thats always been the case with Star wars but for the marjority it was overall enjoyable, I'll even give it a second watch sometime. As far as movies made to be eye candy it's waaaay better than the likes of, oh say Casshern anyways. It's not that I love Star wars so much that I decided to enter this argument as that I just find it very irrational. There was shit parts, but they aren't hard to find in any Star wars movies.

The movies faults aren't really any different to those from the originals. However, Lightsaber fights in ROTS are so much better in than the originals ever were. Space ship battles? Again way way better. Story and dialogue? Well nothing spectacular, but overall does its job as a script for an intriguing and original sci fi concept with alot of action scenes you won't find in any other story. Romance? Corny and overdone, but no more than Leia and Han's romance in Empire and Return.

So why do people have such problems with it? IMHO the problem is in most cases with people is they can't take off their rose coloured glasses to see they just have nostalgic hard-ons regarding the originals. It wasn't half as revolutionary for it's time so it's seen as worse.

Hypothetically, dispite special effects, actors and other era problems that the first 3 came out first when episodes 4, 5 and 6 did. The story and dialogue is exactly the same, the actors may be different but it is acted out the same and obviously has a significant less budget and technolodgy resources but overall they were exactly the same as much as they can be.

Then 1999 comes along with the anticipation of completing Star wars episodes 4, 5 and 6 where it continues the story with Luke not knowing his father is Darth Vader. Again the story and dialogue is exactly the same aside they can do more with technology. Would people be saying now Return of the Jedi was so much better than the originals? I think people would be bitching like now becuase they're all still wearing rose coloured glasses still shouting "Blasphemy!"

Some will probably disagree, but hey I enjoyed it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
well I went to see it again (same movie, different set of friends).

Honestly, despite this was the second week on a sunday and the theatre was filled with loud children, I walked out enjoying the movie more than my previous viewing. Now that I was expecting all the wooden acting and poor dialogue choices, they didn't have the impact that they had earlier.
I feel its a good movie.

It just goes to show how high expectations really ruined it for me the first time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
But I had low expectations. LOOOOOOW expectations, and was still dissapointed, nay, appalled.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
But I had low expectations. LOOOOOOW expectations, and was still dissapointed, nay, appalled.

on the first time viewing it I remember being in a state of shock or something when one of those bad lines came out. Shit, after the "noooo" scene, I didn't remember much about the end of the movie.
So some things were like watching it for the first time.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
I liked R2 beating the crap out of everything in the first  few scenes, prolly the best part of the movie I'd say. one point of dialogue I can't get over.

Obi-wan: Wait a minute, how did this happen, we're smarter than this.
Anakin: Apparently not. I say patience.

i concider myself to be a pretty large starwars fan. i have seen the movie twice so far. and i have to say that i really thought it was great. especially compared to the first two. i was happy how it was a more "serious content" type of movie. compared to the fucking retardation of jarjar binks.

episode 1 was ok. now just in case any of you have ever read a book called Darth Maul 'Shadow Hunter' then you would agree with me that that should been made a movie way before episode 1. or it should have been mixed with episode 1 to make it a better story. i found it a way cooler way to introduce the Sith without going too far in to Star Wars history.

episode 2 i found to be better than episode 1. my only problem was the bullshit love scenes. they didn't even have that much passion. i mean if someone is supposed to be so head over heels in love with someone i think they should show more emotion (or maybe it just was the acting)

episode 3 was better than 1 and 2. i would say it fits nicely with the original trilogy. now i don't known if its because I'm a pretty hard core star wars fan or what, but i really was happy with how they made it come together. i still really liked episodes 1&2 but 3 was far superior.

in my rating for starwars from my favorite episode to my least goes in this order 6,5,4,3,2,1

i have read almost all of the books and i have always enjoyed a great story. i simply see this movie as a great story.

DarthVenom  8)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Sadly, Jar Jar Binks was actually the most memorable creation from these 3 movies, and Episode I was the best. For it's faults, it was a real movie with pacing and content all it's own, it was actually somewhat genuine; not just awkward self-referencing scenes strung together for fanboys (like it became shitty homework Lucas didn't want to do after the reaction to Ep I). Hell, Episode II plays between mission FMV's from a computer game running back to back (if you can sit through it, I think that counts as sadomasochism) . And the so-called "serious content" is so tepid, cliche, and poorly executed that it becomes anything but. They might be fun to get drunk and laugh it, but these are bad movies, I don't care if they say Star Wars on them or not.

Frankly, I don't see how Star Wars fans can be fans of these movies or accept them as one with the originals; it's embarassing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Opie said:
Yes but you just seems so jaded.  :)
If you've read my review, you'll see I backed up my complaints with reasoning.  It's not just sheer pessimism that brought me to my conclusion. Episode III is clearly composed of shaky, if not outright shitty elements.  People just seem to be ignoring them, being caught up in the artificial, John Williams-powered "emotion."

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Walter said:
...being caught up in the artificial, John Williams-powered "emotion."

But the score was crap this time as well! Not a single measure of worthwhile music. Of course, Williams has been out of his prime for at least 15 years now, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I liked the duel music the most. But, it still sounds like the Russian national anthem to me. (not a bad thing..)

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
"Griffith No More!" said:
Frankly, I don't see how Star Wars fans can be fans of these movies or accept them as one with the originals; it's embarassing.

I couldn't disagree more with you on this one.

I went into episode III with minor expectations. I was totally frustrated since episode II seemed to be one of the worst movies of all time to me. episode II was a movie on the intellectual niveau of infants featuring dialogs that sounded like those lines in fortune cookies, and random events that led nowhere at all.

but i found episode III to be totally different. i was sceptical in the beginning for i thought they'd replace story with those fireworks of digital effects again. BUT, FX don't dominate the movie so drastically anymore, this movie doesn't feel like a stupid videogame.
the first half hour sums up what one could find annoying in the predecessors: childish humour, moronic androids and action for the sake of action. Yet lateron,
mastery of story and deep character like in the original trilogy comes into play: Anakin's fall to the darkside is complex and displayed on several levels. It's not obvious reasons like hate and craving for power that drives Anakin, but a combination of ambition, dispair and fear. He wants to protect Padme and save her life at all costs - as he realizes his only chance to do so might be gone for good, were Mace Windu to kill Palpatine, he acts on emotion - and slips away to the dark side without consciously intending at first.
The conflict in Anakin's soul is the conflict of the republic itself and is shown on several levels.

Anakin's downfall is much like Griffith's transformation into a GodHand member. Griffith and Anakin are very much alike in their nature. Ambitous, with exceptional talent they strive to transcend even the most powerfull. And they both have the will to sacrifice anything to achieve their dream.

the story of episode III is - contrary to I and II - very coherent and it leads into episode IV seamlessy. lucas manages to answer all open questions and ends. i would compare this episode to the detailed depiction of the explosion of the deathstar that shatters its parts into the other movies where ultimately many things make sense.

There were certainly some disturbing apects again, which unfortunately prevent the movie from being a master piece like the oldschool movies. there was cheesy romance, the was dispensable action, but all in all it was a brilliant movie, superiour to most of the films hollywood produces these days.

It touched me.

-TS

oh yeah i almost forgot

But the score was crap this time as well!  Not a single measure of worthwhile music.  Of course, Williams has been out of his prime for at least 15 years now, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

John Williams is a musical genius. Every composer i meet respects the man for his work and so do I. I wonder how you can say that this score sucks while 15 years ago his scores didn't. most of the theme's in the movie are theme's that were composed 20 years ago for the original trilogy. they are the same music. besides, what you call "crap" I consider as beautiful and complex music that is yet sort of easy listening to for non-musicians. some themes were rearranged for this movie by John Wiliams, with utmost perfection. If you understood a thing or two about music and listened to it attentively it would reveal to you a lot.
so please consider being a bit less harsh in your future comments.

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
trapped_soul said:
John Williams is a musical genius. Every composer i meet respects the man for his work and so do I. I wonder how you can say that this score sucks while 15 years ago his scores didn't. most of the theme's in the movie are theme's that were composed 20 years ago for the original trilogy. they are the same music. besides, what you call "crap" I consider as beautiful and complex music that is yet sort of easy listening to for non-musicians. some themes were rearranged for this movie by John Wiliams, with utmost perfection. If you understood a thing or two about music and listened to it attentively it would reveal to you a lot.
so please consider being a bit less harsh in your future comments.

Well, you're talking to a conservatory trained classical musician here, so I think I'm more than qualified to comment on the quality of score. 15 years ago his movie scores were lively and immediate, but increasingly his film scores have more and more closely resembled the concert music he writes, which is generally rather turgid and dull. No particular fire, unengaging orchestration...y'know, though, I really don't feel like going on. There's a difference between enjoying a score and analyzing it for technical quality. If you enjoyed the score, that's wonderful, and I would never suggest that you shouldn't. However, it doesn't stand on its technical merits. Using good themes from old works doesn't make a score good...its how the themes are used and developed, and the harmonic and orchestration palette that the music is dressed in. But I'm not expecting Williams to be Bach or Beethoven or Mahler (that's the bar for "musical genius," by the way) here. The reason, ultimately, that I feel the score for Empire Strikes Back is the best film score ever written is because at no time during the film can I decide whether it was the music or the movie that came first. In Revenge of the Sith, it sounds very much like someone improvising as they're watching the film. I certainly don't question Williams' skill as a film composer; its a task that's demanding on so many levels its not even funny. But just because his scores from 15 years ago were good doesn't mean his current scores are good. It just doesn't work that way.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
mahlernut said:
I feel the score for Empire Strikes Back is the best film score ever written

Predator's was better. Gotta love the Friday troll. 8)

PS: Otherwise, Morricone's work on Once Upon a Time in America is particularly interesting in regard to what you just said, since he made the OST first, and then Sergio Leone based himself on it to make the movie. He played the music in the background while the actors were... well acting.

PPS: I utterly disagree with you TS, and I've been thinking about making a big post to point out every gross flaw of the movie, but I'm too lazy at the moment. Ah yeah, and in reply to Wah Wah Wah, I actually liked some parts of Episode 3, but I'm with Griffith as far as saying that Episode 1 was better. Jar Jar sucked, but not that much. Just trying to redeem myself since nir085 has been checking my account as a Guest for the past 3 days. :-X

PPPS: Alan Silvestri ROCKS.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Predator's was better. Gotta love the Friday troll. 8)

PS: Otherwise, Morricone's work on Once Upon a Time in America is particularly interesting in regard to what you just said, since he made the OST first, and then Sergio Leone based himself on it to make the movie. He played the music in the background while the actors were... well acting.

PPS: I utterly disagree with you TS, and I've been thinking about making a big post to point out every gross flaw of the movie, but I'm too lazy at the moment. Ah yeah, and in reply to Wah Wah Wah, I actually liked some parts of Episode 3, but I'm with Griffith as far as saying that Episode 1 was better. Jar Jar sucked, but not that much. Just trying to redeem myself since nir085 has been checking my account as a Guest for the past 3 days. :-X

PPPS: Alan Silvestri ROCKS.

While I felt the main themes of the previous movies were better (personally, I love "duel of fates"), this was not a "bad" soundtrack.

PPPPS: I'm more of a hans zimmer fan, myself.

Top Bottom