Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Aazealh said:
Predator's was better. Gotta love the Friday troll. 8)

PS: Otherwise, Morricone's work on Once Upon a Time in America is particularly interesting in regard to what you just said, since he made the OST first, and then Sergio Leone based himself on it to make the movie. He played the music in the background while the actors were... well acting.

Morricone has some fucking awesome music. The worlds and environments he created with just the choice of timbres in his scores blows me away everytime I hear them. Kuberick's films end up being fascinating studies in this sort of thing, even in cases like 2001 where the film's score is just the temp track. The way a scene is paced to the music (rather than the other way around), like in numerous sections of The Shining where music from Bartok's "Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celeste" is used, or (to take another director) in Master and Commander during the two uses of Vaughn-Williams' "Thomas Tallis Fantasia" are infinitely amusing to me.

What would've helped Williams in RotS would have been if he'd gone back to the pastiche style he'd used for the original three scores. What he used to do better than anyone was to pick a piece of pre-existing music and then compose a new "version" of it...he never quite crossed the James Horner line of just lifting whole movements from other composers uncredited, but the associations are almost always there. His most effective music (not necessarily always his best) has always been the stuff that can be credited to someone else....the Duel of the Fates is a mix of Puccini's "Turandot" and Verdi's Requiem, and the love theme from AotC is pure Rachmaninov. There wasn't nearly enough of that sort of thing in the first two prequels, and none to speak of in the most recent one. More's the pity.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
mahlernut said:
Morricone has some fucking awesome music. [The rest]

Sure thing. This conversation reminds me of the Berserk PS2 game trailer being paced accordingly with Sign in the background. Haha! Now I'm a real Berserk nerd! 8)

mahlernut said:
the Duel of the Fates is a mix of Puccini's "Turandot" and Verdi's Requiem, and the love theme from AotC is pure Rachmaninov.

Yeah, and the chorus lyrics in Duel of the Fates are from a Robert Graves poem (based on an antique Celtic text) that he had translated into Sanskrit...

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
"Griffith No More!" said:
I'll call the police.

haha. you're so stupid to you know that?  ;)

[quote author="Aazealh]
I utterly disagree with you TS, and I've been thinking about making a big post to point out every gross flaw of the movie, but I'm too lazy at the moment.
[/quote]

that's indeed something i would like to read. I have no problem if people "utterly disagree" with me - as long as they back their point of view up.
especially cause i really don't see why you guys obviously didn't like the movie at all.

-TS

nir085

Horse and Armor
Aazealh said:
PPS: I utterly disagree with you TS, and I've been thinking about making a big post to point out every gross flaw of the movie, but I'm too lazy at the moment. Ah yeah, and in reply to Wah Wah Wah, I actually liked some parts of Episode 3, but I'm with Griffith as far as saying that Episode 1 was better. Jar Jar sucked, but not that much. Just trying to redeem myself since nir085 has been checking my account as a Guest for the past 3 days. :-X
Hahaha. Sorry if I creeped you out or whatever by doing that, but just take it as a compliment (because I occasionally check your post list to get the BERSERK news quickly, instead of browsing through tons of commentary). Over the little SW argument we had, though.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
C said:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=episode3

the article is a bunch of bs, and i could point out a hundred reasons why.
so are the dozens of other articles on his site, btw

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
CnC said:
While I felt the main themes of the previous movies were better (personally, I love "duel of fates"), this was not a "bad" soundtrack.

PPPPS: I'm more of a hans zimmer fan, myself.
Zimmer is good... Not great. He has an extreme lack of audio recording skills... That my friend is a big "no-no".

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
trapped_soul said:
haha. you're so stupid to you know that?  ;)

No, but stupid too, perhaps? ;)

trapped_soul said:
that's indeed something i would like to read. I have no problem if people "utterly disagree" with me - as long as they back their point of view up. especially cause i really don't see why you guys obviously didn't like the movie at all.

Just read every rational post in this thread (hint: me, Wally, Aaz =). If it wasn't Star Wars, this movie wouldn't even merit a discussion. On second thought, it still doesn't, but good luck.

Wally's review pretty much got it right I think. I tend to hyperbolize. =)

trapped_soul said:
the article is a bunch of bs, and i could point out a hundred reasons why.
so are the dozens of other articles on his site, btw

I smell some BS, but it isn't coming from that particular Star Wars review. Why not claim a billion trillion gazillion reasons if you're not actually going to give any? Must be an oversight, let me get you started:

1. ___________________________________________________________________________________.

Okay, after you fill in the blank, that's just 99 more to go! ;D

Anyway, to me, it's an easy choice; do the right thing and accept that these souless, disingenuous movies blow (oh, and they do, hard, like the fucking wind), and move on, or lower my standards and rationalize and apologize for these bad movies, lowering the reputation of the real Star Wars movies in the process. Sorry, I just don't want to like bad movies, and furthermore, I don't want Star Wars to be bad movies (it's sad that guys who dress up as hobbits make fun of you for liking Star Wars now... but the real sad thing is, they're right). So, when I think of Star Wars, "the prequels" will come to mind as what they really are; merchandising.  More Star Wars crap for sale, another trilogy for Lucas to repackage and sell over and over again. Spaceballs the Toilet Paper!

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, pre-special edition; to me, this is the only Star Wars Trilogy, movies, series, saga, story, complete, the end. The rest of it is just part of a franchise, a brand name, or  the "extended universe" if you want to really include it into the fold. I'm not saying anyone has to hate the new movies, or totally disregard them, I still plan to enjoy them for what they are, but I'm also going to accept them for what they are, and not try to rationalize them into the same category as the originals, because side by side, they just don't fit. Please, join me in this beautiful point of view, and we can all live together in peace. =)

-Griff

P.S. Though the new movies do raise an interesting real-life light side vs dark side parallel with the new bad movies versus the old good ones. Maybe one day Darth Lucas will take his mask off (hopefully to reveal a chin of some sort), find redemption, and release the pure goodness of the untainted Trilogy from it's bastardized state, "You were right." 8)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
nir085 said:
Hahaha. Sorry if I creeped you out or whatever by doing that, but just take it as a compliment (because I occasionally check your post list to get the BERSERK news quickly, instead of browsing through tons of commentary). Over the little SW argument we had, though.

Don't worry, I was just joking. ;D I've been trying to lighten up the mood a bit not to have the thread degenerate into a half-assed flamewar or something resembling it. I usually get over arguments pretty quickly anyway, as xechnao witnessed on several occasions. :p

PS: I take it as a compliment anyway. 8)

C said:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=episode3

Hey, I do like this review, despite the fact that Maddox is true to himself.

Wally's review pretty much got it right.

Yeah, actually since we saw the movie together and talked about it afterwards, his post sums my opinion up well enough.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
No, but stupid too, perhaps? ;)
mistake in typing. i meant: "You are so stupid, do you know that  ;)".
sorry, it happens every once in a while.

Just read every rational post in this thread (hint: me, Wally, Aaz =). If it wasn't Star Wars, this movie wouldn't even merit a discussion. On second thought, it still doesn't, but good luck.
that implies that my review ain't rational, right? why? because it doesn't suit to your opinion?
Btw, this _is_ a discussion already. you got one opinion, i got another - we're talking. discussion.

Wally's review pretty much got it right I think. I tend to hyperbolize. =)
Wally wrote that he didn't know at first what to think of it. he must have liked some things about it, but when he came across the hyperbolizing Griffith_no_more, his mind got twisted more and more. eventually he switched to the darkside. later in this thread wally said he had low expectations. looooow. and still he was shocked. well... isn't that kind of contradictory? someone got twisted here.

I smell some BS, but it isn't coming from that particular Star Wars review. Why not claim a billion trillion gazillion reasons if you're not actually going to give any? Must be an oversight, let me get you started:
i wanted to reenforce that this article is bullshit by saying that.
main reason: this guy is bitching about the movie getting totally carried without even trying to see what might be a good part of the movie to him. and as far as i am concerned, there are indeed many great aspects in this movie. the fact it is a high-budget hollywood production aimed at a high number of people doesn't necessarily imply it's bad. although i admit such movies are bad most of the time. like episodes I+II

Okay, after you fill in the blank, that's just 99 more to go! ;D
sure thing just send me *.pdf file via email and include your bank account number

Anyway, to me, it's an easy choice; do the right thing and accept that these souless, disingenuous movies blow (oh, and they do, hard, like the fucking wind), and move on, or lower my standards and rationalize and apologize for these bad movies, lowering the reputation of the real Star Wars movies in the process. Sorry, I just don't want to like bad movies, and furthermore, I don't want Star Wars to be bad movies (it's sad that guys who dress up as hobbits make fun of you for liking Star Wars now... but the real sad thing is, they're right). So, when I think of Star Wars, "the prequels" will come to mind as what they really are; merchandising.  More Star Wars crap for sale, another trilogy for Lucas to repackage and sell over and over again. Spaceballs the Toilet Paper!
i didn't "choose" to like this movie. contrary to you i didn't find this movie to be soulless or disingenuous. i hated episode I+II. and yet i didn't have to lower my standards in order to like this one. if you think that i have low standards then, please do so. i don't care. the usual hollywood rubbish pissed me off as well (grievous with 4 lightsabres, stupid androids, yoda in his pyjamas), yet i was accepting that decent amount of cliché to find one thing: Story.
it was well told and answered all open questions that remained. and those were a lot. it had depth, tension and emotion - unlike episode II which was narrow-minded entertainment for toddlers.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, pre-special edition; to me, this is the only Star Wars Trilogy, movies, series, saga, story, complete, the end. The rest of it is just part of a franchise, a brand name, or  the "extended universe" if you want to really include it into the fold. I'm not saying anyone has to hate the new movies, or totally disregard them, I still plan to enjoy them for what they are, but I'm also going to accept them for what they are, and not try to rationalize them into the same category as the originals, because side by side, they just don't fit. Please, join me in this beautiful point of view, and we can all live together in peace. =)
Episode III fits to the original, I+II don't.
i also can't see how you can say Episode I was the best of them.

I won't join you in your beautiful point of view. and we cannot live in peace - if you aren't with me, you are my enemy.  :-*

-TS

P.S. Very well, GriffithNoMore, i can feel the anger in you.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Nomad said:
Zimmer is good... Not great. He has an extreme lack of audio recording skills... That my friend is a big "no-no".

none that I can detect. Most of his music I love.

[quote author="Griffith No More!"]Just read every rational post in this thread (hint: me, Wally, Aaz =)[/quote]

... well with my last breath of irrationality I will state that while I enjoyed this movie, it really isn't good enough to defend too vehemently. I would say I was more entertained than moved. Which is why I paid my 8 bucks for the ticket in the first place.

Griffith

trapped_soul said:
that implies that my review ain't rational, right? why?

No, it was implying you should read my posts which already address all the issues of our discussion so I don't have to keep repeating myself. But, if you insist...

trapped_soul said:
i wanted to reenforce that this article is bullshit by saying that.
main reason: this guy is bitching about the movie getting totally carried without even trying to see what might be a good part of the movie to him.

You still haven't addressed the specific and valid complaints of the article, the reviewer didn't simply write, "this movie was BS and I have a hundred reasons why that I won't say." Those were real flaws with the movie, and then some. Anyway, I don't see how it's rational and objective to look at a movie desperately trying to find things "that are a good part of the movie to you" while ignoring or disregarding everything that's bad (even when it's clearly and concisely pointed out in an article or review).

Sounds less like rational and more like rationalization . ;D

trapped_soul said:
and as far as i am concerned, there are indeed many great aspects in this movie.

Yeah, like, it was in color, it had sound, oh, and it was STAR WARS!!! Yeah, great aspects to any quality story. Who needs realistic plot developments, characters, or dialogue?

trapped_soul said:
i didn't "choose" to like this movie. contrary to you i didn't find this movie to be soulless or disingenuous. i hated episode I+II. and yet i didn't have to lower my standards in order to like this one. if you think that i have low standards then, please do so. i don't care. the usual hollywood rubbish pissed me off as well (grievous with 4 lightsabres, stupid androids, yoda in his pyjamas), yet i was accepting that decent amount of cliché to find one thing: Story.
it was well told and answered all open questions that remained. and those were a lot. it had depth, tension and emotion - unlike episode II which was narrow-minded entertainment for toddlers.
Episode III fits to the original, I+II don't.
i also can't see how you can say Episode I was the best of them.

I won't join you in your beautiful point of view. and we cannot live in peace - if you aren't with me, you are my enemy.  :-*

-TS

P.S. Very well, GriffithNoMore, i can feel the anger in you.

hobbitslaugh.jpg

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
No, it was implying you should read my posts which already address all the issues of our discussion so I don't have to keep repeating myself. But, if you insist...
basically what you did in your posts was bitching about how bad it was, just like the guys in the article did.

You still haven't addressed the specific and valid complaints of the article, the reviewer didn't simply write, "this movie was BS and I have a hundred reasons why that I won't say."
In my review i wrote enough reasons why i consider to be good. i am not someone who writes "This movie is great, and i won't tell you why".
but.. yes you are right. this article just doesn't meet my point of view in many parts, that's why i wrote i have like "hundred reasons why".
my review is in a "hundred ways" contrary to this one - yet i included what i didn't like about it as well.

Those were real flaws with the movie, and then some. Anyway, I don't see how it's rational and objective to look at a movie desperately trying to find things "that are a good part of the movie to you" while ignoring or disregarding everything that's bad (even when it's clearly and concisely pointed out in an article or review).
As i said, i didn't have to desperately try to find good parts in the movie. i thought it was very good for the most part just by viewing it, not by "concsious reflection". although i agree with you that I+II should never be regarded as official star wars episodes. (that's like the 4th time i explain this)
and because i feel this way, i can't see how you or the guy who wrote the article  consider it a "totally flawes movie from every point of view".

Yeah, like, it was in color, it had sound, oh, and it was STAR WARS!!! Yeah, great aspects to any quality story. Who needs realistic plot developments, characters, or dialogue?
depends on how the term "realistic" fits to something like star wars anyway. but if we think of it as a reasonable world then - yeah there was realistic plot development and characters!!
anakin's transformation didn't come out of the blue.
and so didn't the other plot twists.

But since we obviously have totally different opinions on this movie, we'll get nowhere with this.

-TS

P.S. "The boy Griffith you trained - gone he is. Consumed by the evil Lord "GriffithNoMore".

Griffith

trapped_soul said:
But since we obviously have totally different opinions on this movie, we'll get nowhere with this.

You see, I don't think we do, I don't hate it by any means, I quite enjoyed watching the iso with my friends tonight (since we weren't in a theater, we could openly heckle). It's not unwatchable and even entertaining on a certain level, but I don't see it as being any kind of superior cinematic achievement over I or II, or the Star Wars Christmas Special for that matter. Without the nostalgia factor of the originals, there isn't anything special about these movies, certainly nothing worth defending. I like them more when I'm not watching them and instead thinking about them in relation to the originals (except Vader's Frankenstein "NOOOOOOooooo!" scene, that'll never get old). It's not even worth hating, more tragic that people try to legitimize it rather than viewing it as the storytelling/filmmaking/merchandising travesty that will probably be Star Wars' legacy, if not already.

Time will tell.

Griffith

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Did anyone else notice the goofy faces when Mace Windu went to kill Palpatine?

After Palpatine kills those other three Jedi with Mace Windu they both start making stupid faces at eachother during the fight.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Wah wah wah said:
Did anyone else notice the goofy faces when Mace Windu went to kill Palpatine?

After Palpatine kills those other three Jedi with Mace Windu they both start making stupid faces at eachother during the fight.

Actually a hidden sub-plot was that Mace Windu was sick with a stomach virus at the time and Palpatine is just fucking stupid.

Top Bottom