Oekaki Revival

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bored at work and decided to draw in the Oekaki, when I realized something horrible had gone wrong with it, unfortunately it looks kinda screwed up. Still cute though.

13.jpg

Schnoz' First Date

I propose we revive the Oekaki. Start drawing!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
REVIVIFY!

I know people have said the Oekaki has been slow for a while, but I think that's just a self-perpetuating FICTIONAL idea! Grail, DAmore and several others (mostly Grail) have been keeping it alive with some awesome, creative and hilarious stuff for the past few months.

I recently bought a WACOM Tablet so I can draw more naturally now. Henceforth, I'm attempting to do several new drawings a week.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Nice work Walter, lots of detail in there. I've been mulling over buying a tablet myself. I want something good for under $100 bucks though.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Good stuff walter. I really like the colors.

Serpico said:
I want something good for under $100 bucks though.

Well the wacom graphire 4*5 is 99$. I would recommend the 6*8 though, as I think its the perfect size.
I currently own a Intuos 3 6*8, and I love it.

Figured I'd do a quick one (my first anyways). Goofed off for the first 30 minutes and scribbled for ten, then sat down for a good 15 and improvised something up. I hate a mouse, wish I had a tablet.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Well the wacom graphire 4*5 is 99$. I would recommend the 6*8 though, as I think its the perfect size.
I currently own a Intuos 3 6*8, and I love it.
I got the 4x5 online for around $70, which is a real steal. It works great, and yeah I was surprised but the work space actually DOES seem small to me. I guess I could have shelled out an extra $50 for the larger one. I had to change some of the settings before I was totally comfortable drawing with it in the Oekaki. But I'm just picky...

This technology is great but it really takes some getting used to. It's not just like drawing, but it's definitely easier and more natural than drawing with a fucking mouse.

Serpico

CnC said:
Well the wacom graphire 4*5 is 99$.  I would recommend the 6*8 though, as I think its the perfect size. I currently own a Intuos 3 6*8, and I love it.

Yeah, I actually drew out the sizes on paper to see what I would be dealing with. 6*8 is about perfect. If I decide to put money into it I'm gonna pick up the same model.

For now I ordered this though, it is cheap ($39.99 + free shipping), simple, and all the reviews are positive. I'll post my thoughts here after I get it. It might be a good choice for those who just want to do oekaki and get a feel for using a tablet. At worst if it sucks it can be sent back for a refund minus the $6 restocking fee.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823102006

features
4.5x6 active area
1024 pressure levels
2000 resolution

Walter said:
It's not just like drawing, but it's definitely easier and more natural than drawing with a fucking mouse.

I'm gonna miss spending 30 minutes to make a crappy outline via the mouse whilst inducing a headache upon myself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Serpico that looks like a good deal. When you get it, try it out with Photoshop if you have it. There's a specific brush that interprets the pressure you use and converts that into thicker lines, etc. It makes drawings look almost perfectly natural. It's amazing.

After I found out about that, I was considering modifying the Oekaki format to be able to incorporate uploaded drawings. The Oekaki java tool is so limited in that regard. I don't think the quality of submissions should be held back just because of a technology limitation... But I guess that's the purpose of Creation Station. Hmm...

Maybe I'll make a thread titled: "Alternate Oekaki" or something similar where you can post drawings done in other software. How's that sound?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
There's a specific brush that interprets the pressure you use and converts that into thicker lines, etc. It makes drawings look almost perfectly natural. It's amazing.

There are many different settings aimed at a tablet from within the brush tool, specifically within the brush manager (F5, or under your Window menu). Theres almost an unlimited array of options in there, most of them can be determined by pressure sensitivity or angle.

I almost always have either opacity or size being affected by pen pressure, but on top of that there's the option for scattering, color variance, direction, you name it. Have fun.

Walter said:
Maybe I'll make a thread titled: "Alternate Oekaki" or something similar where you can post drawings done in other software. How's that sound?

Sounds cool to me.

Be careful with ordering from newegg.com, I placed a order there before and it arrived in broken pieces. I had to send it it back and they charged me for shipping and a restocking fee, or something. They gave me a refund but with the shipping and other fees I was still out 40 dollars or so without a replacement. Hopefully though, this was one of those rare miskates or accidents. Anyway, just be careful from buying from there.

Serpico

Zelz said:
Be careful with ordering from newegg.com, I placed a order there before and it arrived in broken pieces. I had to send it it back and they charged me for shipping and a restocking fee, or something. They gave me a refund but with the shipping and other fees I was still out 40 dollars or so without a replacement. Hopefully though, this was one of those rare miskates or accidents. Anyway, just be careful from buying from there.

Interesting. I thought they would cover the cost to ship it back in that case. I probably would have hassled them quite a bit if they charged a restocking fee on something broken into pieces. They are generally known for having good support. I received my tablet already and it was packed overly well if anything.

As far as the model I got, I would definitely recommend it to others. It works well and I actually like the size a lot. I wouldnt even want it bigger. Here is the first thing I sketched in photoshop, took me 10 minutes or so. ( I know her arms are long, but she was just tablet practice, not anatomy so I didn't care to fix it)
tablet_pic.jpg

here is part of my 3rd attempt in PS, sketched and colored with the tablet
tablet_3.jpg

So far I like it, maybe even more than drawing on paper!

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Serpico said:
Hmm... so thats from the $40 Genius G-Pen one? I don't draw often, but I have thought about getting a tablet to try out, and if you recommend it then thats not a bad place for me to start.

Serpico

Scorpio said:
Hmm... so thats from the $40 Genius G-Pen one? I don't draw often, but I have thought about getting a tablet to try out, and if you recommend it then thats not a bad place for me to start.

Yeah, thats the one I got, though the price went up a few dollars since I bought it. I am happy with it, and it is still fairly cheap though. If you are using Vista make sure that Vista drivers are out for the one you want before you buy a tablet.

http://ninetenths.org/tablet7_wip.jpg
Here is something I am working on now. I think I am to the point where I do better work on the tablet than on paper, so it should meet your needs fine if you want to draw. Plus it is pretty nifty for clicking around in apps like Flash, or just on the web.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Some great improvements you're making over time here, Serpico. I think you're right at the brink of making some solid character art. I'd spend some time working on body structure: bones, muscles, etc. And work on improving body structure and proportion. One you know the rules you can more effectively break them when it comes to stylizing (Anime or otherwise).

Zelz said:

Not to derail the thread too much, but I believe you're incorrect about newegg. I've spent nearly 10k with them over the past 2 and a half years for business and personal stuff and I've had a 99% success rate. Only real problem was a financial glitch (really minor, corrected almost immediately).
Theres always a bit of risk involved when buying something online; but as far as that goes newegg.com is probably one of the best.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I should probably start cranking out more drawings ... it's been several weeks since my last one. I've just been really busy both with work and the server change.

I'll also stickup for newegg, since they've consistently had basically everything a computer nerd could want all in one store with great prices. I've never had a shipping problem from them either. In fact, they ship much more quickly than other similar companies.

Geez, they don't even need to advertise with customers like me and CnC singing their praises :badbone:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Haha, that's a very cute drawing Serpy! It's definitely a shame that the upload didn't work. :judo:

Top Bottom