Berserk prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
I'm sure this must have been asked many times in the past, but in my search I can find nothing but broken links. I am wondering if anyone has any idea where I can obtain scans of the prototype chapter of berserk. I heard it sucked, and that it stars Guts the pirate, but nothing more. Thank you for your help. ;D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Berserk prototype chapter

He had an eyepatch to cover his blind eye, I guess that's enough to make him a pirate to "special" people ::).

Jeez I thought he was really a pirate for a second, that would have been terrible. In any case I would like to find the prototype story also, funny how almost nothing about it has been mentioned even here.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Well, it's at the end of volume 14, feel free to purchase it.

Volume 14 hasn't been released by Darkhorse yet, when I buy it I will find out if it's in that version.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent

Smith said:
So there is only 1 chapter? Weird isnt it  :p
Well it was produced as a pitch to puplishers from what I heard.

But is there a translation of the chapter anywhere?

I have the scanlation of vol 14 and the only thing at the end of it is the cover to the prototype, but there is no following chapter. Did they cut it out for some reason? Is it in the real japanese vol 14? If so, I gotta buy that because I really badly want to see this prototype chapter...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

aufond said:
Is it in the real japanese vol 14? If so, I gotta buy that because I really badly want to see this prototype chapter...

Yes, it's in the real japanese volume 14. And you're supposed to buy every volume btw.

Tenchu

Time for your come-up-ins.

well your not missing much, in any case, i have vol. 14. he's not exactly a pirate, as the kind that live on the high sea's. its mostly like the orginal with a few cosmetic changes. the mark of the scariface, pucks wings, guts armor, the location and size of his sacriface mark. but most noticible is the way his face is drawn more comical at times, and yeah he has an eye patch but he gives it away to a girl.
he looks like backswords man, just like in chapter 1. long story short here is what happens in the prototype.
He's walking along, see's a girl about to get raped, kills the guys who were going to do it. Girl is thankful, he takes girl back to her town, parents are thankful. Tell him a sad story, doesnt care, sees the girl he saves in a carriage with the mark of the sacriface. Goes to the castle, attacks demon guy, gets attacked, kills demon guy and saves the girl. Brings girl back to parents, walks off into the skyline.

Re: Berserk prototype episode

Tenchu said:
He's walking along, see's a girl about to get raped, kills the guys who were going to do it. Girl is thankful, he takes girl back to her town, parents are thankful. Tell him a sad story, doesnt care, sees the girl he saves in a carriage with the mark of the sacriface. Goes to the castle, attacks demon guy, gets attacked, kills demon guy and saves the girl. Brings girl back to parents, walks off into the skyline.

Oh man, that sounds awsome!! I've gotta see that.

Aazealh said:
Yes, it's in the real japanese volume 14. And you're supposed to buy every volume btw.

I have japanese vol 19, 20, 22, 24, and 25. Sorry, I'm not a Berserk veteren like most of you, I have yet to buy all the volumes. I have only been really into Berserk for about a year now, and I have to find a source of income as well. But rest assured, as soon as I start making some dough, so will Kentauro Miura.

Tenchu said:
well your not missing much, in any case, i have vol. 14.  he's not exactly a pirate, as the kind that live on the high sea's. its mostly like the orginal with a few cosmetic changes. the mark of the scariface, pucks wings, guts armor, the location and size of his sacriface mark. but most noticible is the way his face is drawn more comical at times, and yeah he has an eye patch but he gives it away to a girl.
he looks like backswords man, just like in chapter 1. long story short here is what happens in the prototype.

aww, pirates kick ass

I'm not sure why he got rid of it, but here is an example of what could have been, pick which you think looks the best:

1 2 or 3 ;D
pick_one.jpg

Hmmmm, now I see why the patch isn't there. :)
- C 8)

conan

Until next time...

I think the patch looks kindof cool.

In a "pirate" kind of way... ;)

I do think it would look different, but not neccessarily bad. And Guts, were he a real character (and I know he's not, but let's just say...) WOULD wear an eye patch. It would protect the empty eye socket. Though I guess scarring and tissue build up would pretty much do the same thing... :-\

rubbereruben

I´m rubber, you´re glue.

Guts has so many scar tissue on his body, he probably has some kind of exoskeleton on his body that's 3 times as strong as normal tissue.

All those wounds make your skin real tough. I doubt you can cut his body as easily with a normal knife.

Posted by: rubbereruben Posted on: Today at 10:28:07 AM

Guts has so many scar tissue on his body... All those wounds make your skin real tough. I doubt you can cut his body as easily with a normal knife.

Scar tissue is actually much less dense then regular skin. Because it is weaker, it is pierced or cut faster. A good example is a boxer. You notice how they bleed around their eyes alot. That is because they have alot of scar tissue where their eyes have been cut, and sometimes just a glove grazing their face will bust it open. Guts is different because he is just a piece of iron with a sword and some kick ass armor. ;D

- C

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent

Some scarring leads to a build up of dead skin which can become difficult to cut through. So maybe a callus just kinda formed from the scarring.

For the sake of sounding redundant,"Can anyone point me in the direction for a translation of this episode?"

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight

[quote author=Headless Death]
Some scarring leads to a build up of dead skin which can become difficult to cut through.  So maybe a callus just kinda formed from the scarring.[/quote]

No it doesn't.  A buildup of skin that's tough is a callus, not a scar.  They're from constant irritation or repeated minor injuries (mostly from friction), not from the kind of injuries that cause scars (cuts, deep skinning, burns).

[quote author=Conan]
Guts, were he a real character (and I know he's not, but let's just say...) WOULD wear an eye patch.  It would protect the empty eye socket.[/quote]

Now this is something I'm a little iffy on.  IS Guts's eye actually gone?  A real empty eye socket will have a sunken lid, just like a toothless mouth will have mooshy lips.  Guts just looks like has an always-closed eye.  But if his eye survived, just blinded, or even if he had a glass eye in there to keep the shape, you'd think he wouldn't bother keeping it shut.  Maybe he got his eye sealed shut so that he wouldn't ever have to worry about crud getting in it?  I mean, that's what they did for my cat..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Headless Death said:
For the sake of sounding redundant,"Can anyone point me in the direction for a translation of this episode?"

Acclimate solution has a translation of volume 14 to sell that contains this part. If you want it so badly, you can always buy it. But since my generosity knows no limit, I've started writing it down. If I finish it, I'll post it.

Lithrael said:
Maybe he got his eye sealed shut so that he wouldn't ever have to worry about crud getting in it?

That's the most sensible answer in my opinion. Let's not forget that Guts' wounds were treated in a secluded cave in the moutains. They (Godot and Rickert) most likely cauterized his eye and lid together to prevent hemorrhage and infection.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight

Ah, yes that makes sense.

It's a bitch and a half trying to look up something like that on the internet - but I found some entertaining shit nonetheless!  Check it out! Renaissance era medical eye poking needles! (from this site)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom