Guts better off with fake hand?

I'd like to have your opinions regarding if Guts would be a better warrior if he still had his left hand.

There are advantages to both..

If he still had his left hand, I believe he would be more versatile maneuvering his sword, and a big increase in his dexterity. Would give him more options in a battle also, should he choose to grab or throw an object, etc.

The fake hand enables Guts to make use of that cannon which aided him in several fights against apostles, as well as the option to mount the cross bow on and shoot down targets. The hand is also able to cling ahold of the sword due to its magnetism. It can also be used to crush enemies' faces or inflict damage by punching.

I believe he would be a better fighter if he didn't lose his hand. The things he can do with the sword is amazing with one real hand and one magnetic one clinging on. But I believe he would be more spectacular and graceful if he had two real hands grabbing hold of the Dragon Slayer. Its also kind of a pity to see him missing a limb when he doesnt have his armor or hand worn.

You pretty much summed it all up right there. Still if he had his left arm still it would probably not be made to make him do use the sword any better in the story, regardless of how much harder it would make using a sword in real life.... just like how his hand eye coordination and vision seems to be just as intact or moreso than before he lost his eye... which would be undoubtably worse in real life.

Having said that in the Berserk world he almost certainly has more use for a fake arm, and it's abilitys cannot be denied. For both the cannon and how much easier it is to smash peoples faces with it.

I feel that with his mechanical arm it seem to be more powerful than his real arm. The reason why i say so is because, aside from the advantages you listed out, dont forget he is able to control his mechanical arm as well as his real arm when he was in berserk mode (E.G He blast Grunbeld shield with his cannon without pulling his string)

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Well, in my opinion, the cannon in the fake hand blows everything else away. The cannon has saved gut's ass plenty of times.

DarkDragoon said:
Well if he still had his arm he could just use a wrist mounted cannon type thing. Same goes for the crossbow.

Probably with the cross bow but who puts a cannon on their arm??? If they really wanted to they probably could but it wouldn't work half as well, as akikaze said it would spoil the surprise for a start, second it's inconvenient for the sword if he just left it there and would get in the way.
He could strap it on afterwards but then when bastards like Roshinu, Slan and the Snake baron almost kill him it wouldn't give him much time to put it on. Besides, the recoil going against his upper arm when it is right behind it is already hard enough.

In any case he probably would never have put it on if it wasn't for losing his arm in the first place.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
I beleive He is far better off with the fake hand or else his head would have been scewered by Roshinu. ;D His real arm was peirced but his fake arm deflected it.

Headless_Death said:
I beleive He is far better off with the fake hand or else his head would have been scewered by Roshinu. ;D  His real arm was peirced but his fake arm deflected it.

Not only that, he is using his fake arm like a sort of shield to deflect enemies attack such as the battle with Zodd in vol 22

Definitely better off with the fake hand. I have to say though, I don't think Guts is necessarily as reliant upon it as would be suggested. He uses it in virtually every encounter with apostles, but at the same time, he seems to purposely put himself in positions where he can use it to take the apostles off guard. If he didn't have it to use he would use different tactics instead of getting his ass beat and then whipping out the arm cannon.

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
Not only does it help Guts plently of times, but it also makes Guts a much more original character. It's what separates him from all the other bad ass, huge sword-wielding anime/manga/video game characters. (Well, that and the fact that Guts can kick all their asses hands-down.)

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Triggormortis said:
Not only does it help Guts plently of  times, but it also makes Guts a much more original character. It's what separates him from all the other bad ass, huge sword-wielding anime/manga/video game characters. (Well, that and the fact that Guts can kick all their asses hands-down.)
Yeah, you're right Ash from Evil dead never carried a giant sword and the closest thing to a cannon was his boomstick, and I suppose he wasn't ever anime/manga/video game, so I guess he doesn't count,  but there's also Götz von Berlichingen, who was a historical character in germany with a metal hand that's famous words were like, "Kiss my arse!" or something.  Visit
http://www.karlofgermany.com/Goetz.htm
for more information on Götz. :)
But I suppose he too wasn't from any anime/manga/video game. :-\
So that brings me to if you mix barret and cloud from FFvii, you get man with artificial hand with giant sword. ;D

Headless_Death said:
Yeah, you're right Ash from Evil dead never carried a giant sword and the closest thing to a cannon was his boomstick, and I suppose he wasn't ever anime/manga/video game, so I guess he doesn't count,  but there's also Götz von Berlichingen, who was a historical character in germany with a metal hand that's famous words were like, "Kiss my arse!" or something.  Visit
So that brings me to if you mix barret and cloud from FFvii, you get man with artificial hand with giant sword. ;D

Wow, somebody else knows Goetz...

The prosthetic arm pwns, it definately adds character, and it's a good final resort

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
Headless_Death said:
That's a really cool link. That artificial arm looks almost identical to Guts's. Besides, their names sound identical as well. Perhaps Guts was based off of Gotz.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Triggormortis said:
That's a really cool link. That artificial arm looks almost identical to Guts's. Besides, their names sound identical as well. Perhaps Guts was based off of Gotz.
Thank you I try to be informative. ;D
But as for Guts being based off Goetz, Muira was far into production before his friend told him about the german warrior, But is is a big coincidence.

Miura admitted he was influenced by the Evil Dead trilogy in one of the interviews.(It was referred to as Super Market Captain, or something like that, as it was called in Japan.) However, the two are only really similar in appearance and lack of an arm, as any dedicated ED fan will tell you.

Hatter

Does anyone think that, in some point in the future of the series, Guts will get his arm and/or eye back? By supernatural means, of course...
I think it'd be an interesting change. And it would give him the chance to try out some new equipment to compensate...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hatter said:
Does anyone think that, in some point in the future of the series, Guts will get his arm and/or eye back? By supernatural means, of course...
I think it'd be an interesting change. And it would give him the chance to try out some new equipment to compensate...

He seems to be doing just fine without the eye. Hell, he's kicking more ass than he was WITH the eye. As for the arm, again, don't think he even needs it. He's never thought "if only I had my arm" or blamed it for any ineptness in a battle. In fact the use of the repeating bow and cannon would be hard to trade up. Plus, when the armor takes over, he seems to get his arm back. If anything, I can see him getting better at controlling the usage of the armor to regain the use of that limb.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Miura admitted he was influenced by the Evil Dead trilogy in one of the interviews.

I'd like to see that interview, because I don't remember that.

Hatter said:

I think it'd be far-fetched, as well as unneeded. It's part of his trauma, part of what he is, and part of his character design.

Here's a link to another thread on the same topic.

Top Bottom