Favorite Jimi Hendrix album.

Which is it?

• Total voters

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I only included the albums Jimi himself released or oversaw during his lifetime since technically any albums released after his death are just compilations of his music. Sorry, no First Rays, guys (though that compilation of songs is fucking awesome). =)

I'm personally voting for Band of Gypsys, I love that album.

Unfortunately, I've only heard an album of live recordings and "The Greatest Experience." I didn't care for the live album, but that compilation rocks my socks off no matter how much I listen to it.

I suppose invest a little more to the Hendrix Fund and buy his albums, but I could say that about a lot of things. :p

E

ELEKTROFUNK

because castles... made of sand.. melts in to the easy eventualyyyyyyyyyy!

atleast thats my favorite song :D of JH

All I have come across is "Experience Hendrix" which is one of those best of the best CD's. Quiet enjoyable, meaning to hear more.

Griffith

ranemaka13 said:
Unfortunately, I've only heard an album of live recordings and "The Greatest Experience." I didn't care for the live album, but that compilation rocks my socks off no matter how much I listen to it.

I suppose invest a little more to the Hendrix Fund and buy his albums, but I could say that about a lot of things. :p

What was the live album called?

ELEKTROFUNK said:
because castles... made of sand.. melts in to the easy eventualyyyyyyyyyy!

atleast thats my favorite song :D of JH

A personal favorite of mine as well. I think that's one of those songs that everyone considers a personal favorite but it's not generally considered one of his most popular songs for some reason. Probably 'cause it wasn't a staple of his live show just like the rest of the Axis album. One song that's recently obsessed me is Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) though. I want to cover this song badly.

Sparnage said:
All I have come across is "Experience Hendrix" which is one of those best of the best CD's. Quiet enjoyable, meaning to hear more.

That's a nice compilation by the Hendrix family. My friends and I would walk around the 'hood blaring that on ye olde ghetto blaster and middle-aged men would look up from their yard work in suburbia, smile ear to ear, and give us peace signs. That was always fun. For something different try Band of Gypsys. It's a live album, all original unreleased music though; the last thing Jimi put out before he died. Great rock and soul record.  Also, First Rays of the New Rising Sun has the songs Jimi was working on before his death (for an album of the same title); great stuff, even the unfinished tracks. I'm listening to it as I type this. ;)

Generally, I find it best to listen to Jimi's music on surround sound speakers with my eyes closed. He took his music very seriously, and you really get the attention to detail he put into every sonic facet of his studio songs. He didn't just go in the studio and play songs like you would live for the sake of recording them. He had all these wild ideas about music not just playing ambiently but actually moving and traveling around and through the listener and he experimented with this in the studio as well. It's that rare kind of music where you're rewarded for giving it your full attention because it's so rich underneth the surface. AND/OR you can just blast it in the car or at a party for a good time. :D

"Griffith No More!" said:
What was the live album called?
Erm....apparently it's called Jimi Hendrix Experience: The Original Soundtrack. It's that movie about him that he appears in for all of two seconds.

Speaking of movies, anyone seen this piece of atrociousness?
B000059H94.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Griffith

ranemaka13 said:
Well, it's rumored that they're making another Hendrix movie, but starring this time Andre 3000.

Coincidentally, my girlfriend told me that no more than an hour ago; funny how information just sometimes comes all at once. I always thought a young Morgan Freeman would be good for the part. =) But I don't object to Andre though, he's "ice cold" enough to play Jimi, has studied him, and if he can act and nail the voice, than it would be interesting enough to see a Jimi biopic. At least they didn't pick Lenny Kravitz; he's pretended he's Jimi Hendrix for enough of his career already I think.

See, there I go getting all negative again, Jimi wouldn't approve. ;D

Top Bottom