Berserk voice acting

Malf

You cannot escape YOUR FATE!
After watching the berserk anime a few times in Japanese and in english I really thought that the English voice acting was alot better. I know thats kind of odd for the english to be better than the japanese but out of all the anime ive watched, berserk is the only one were the english was better than the japanese. Im curiouse to what you fellow skullknighters think. Im sure you all will say the japanese is better but maybe not.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I guess it's ok... my favorite is the "Singing Griffith" in the outakes though... One voice that really botherd me was Zodd's (japanese).

As far for english vs Japanese... so far the best english audio track for me is Macross Plus... better sound, and most defenetly more attitude. At least in my opinion.

By the way Malf, Enya is coming up with a new CD (seriously) ;D

nir085

Horse and Armor
Most people here seem to hate both dubs, but the few who do like either dub prefer the japanese over the english. You and I are in the minority of Berserk fans worldwide and if we knew Berserk fans in real life, we would probably fall prey to a lynching because of our beliefs, especially because we even like the anime in the first place. It's just weird sometimes, when things get too medieval-like, to hear people speak only in japanese. When it's not so medieval, (the few times) it's better.

I like the english audio track. It could have been way more refined, but I thought the english dubs were better than most other anime dubs - screw what others think. Guts' voice was sort of whiny and high-pitched in the japanese audio track and Griffith's was nowhere as charismatic enough as he should have sounded. Guts' voice (english) was a little too heroic, however, I personally thought both versions should have gave Guts a darker, dour voice. Zodd was way better in the english track considering that he actually sounded like a demon. Then again...a few of the english voices are extremely annoying. Gaston's voice, for example, wanted to make me puke. I swear, his english VA and Goku's english VA are one in the same.

Japanese dub all the way. Guts and Griffith's voice were near perfect for the role I think, Griffith not having a bulky powerful guys voice but still a strong convincing voice, and Guts's voice had a  rough and dark tone to it (dunno where whiny came from). I can't quiet point out exactly what I liked about but it was very suited to his character as a young wild character.

Caska's was satisfactory, Judeau's was fitting and overall I couldn't pick out anyones voice that wasn't appropriate.... just overdone at times. Besides it's almost impossible to find a english over dub that actually works in a Anime, in theory it should work but almost never comes out right.

I liked both. Though I tend to enjoy watching it in English more, since everyone seems to be European and not Japanese.

My favorite English Dub is the old Akira dub, with the guy who does Leonardo's voice and almost everyother voice in random animes/games. That dub was my fav, hard to find it good quality though.

Malf said:
After watching the berserk anime a few times in Japanese and in english I really thought that the English voice acting was alot better. I know thats kind of odd for the english to be better than the japanese but out of all the anime ive watched, berserk is the only one were the english was better than the japanese. Im curiouse to what you fellow skullknighters think. Im sure you all will say the japanese is better but maybe not.

DVD u mean? Mine doesnt have any english translation in both vioces and subtitles

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
nir085 said:
Gaston's voice, for example, wanted to make me puke. I swear, his english VA and Goku's english VA are one in the same.

Yes they are actually. Goku's VA did Gaston's voice, as well as about 6000 other minor characters in Berserk.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Well anyway, my take is that the Japanese VA were closer to what the original director wanted the voices to be, making it far truer to original intent of the director.
But even so, I am a ignorant english speaking american, and although some english voices are in fact horrific, I beleived that many of the VA were great choices in berserk.  But as mentioned Super Saiyan Gaston :eek:(Never realized till you mentioned it.) , not a great choice. 
But on another note, does anyone know of anything else any of the voice actors are in?
I only know Ricket, Judeu, and Adon are in Samurai Deeper Kyo.

JeffC said:
I liked both. Though I tend to enjoy watching it in English more, since everyone seems to be European and not Japanese.

My favorite English Dub is the old Akira dub, with the guy who does Leonardo's voice and almost everyother voice in random animes/games. That dub was my fav, hard to find it good quality though.

The new Akira dub is definitely better and makes more sense than the original english version as thats what it's made for, but yeah I do miss Leonardo's corny voice as Kaneda. ;D

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Sparnage said:
The new Akira dub is definitely better and makes more sense than the original english version as thats what it's made for, but yeah I do miss Leonardo's corny voice as Kaneda. ;D
I love the line:
"oh, It's in the Genes" which when you turn on the subs or watch a fansub is nothing like the actual line.

Most people probably know my take on dubs. Can you blame me though? After seeing what Harmony Gold did to Macross, I can't help but say that every single american anime company is a whore and doesn't pay dick of attention to their VA casting, which i can prove in any Gundam series (cept seed because I never watched that). Caska sounded like a total bitch, and Guts sounded too heroic.

i liked the english voice dubbing alot,

griffiths voice was perfect,

the rest were very well too ...

as far as japanese voice acting,

the only series i liked in japanese,

in fact i liked it so much i refuse to watch it in english because the japanese voices were so awesome,

even though i dont understand japanese  ;D,

was hellsing, it had superb japanese voice acting,

most others just really suck,

but thats my 20 dollars worth  ;D

- c

I also gotta say the dub for berserk rocked. What killed the japanese version for me was Zodd's voice. I was watching him beat down Guts and then he speaks. I was like "Is this a joke? A big bad monster without a monstrous voice!" But then again I watched it in english first and then checked out the japanese one.

Griffith's english voice actor was perfect for him. And Guts' was perfect for all his fits of rage.

I hope they get the dub actors for the upcoming game. Provided it comes out in the states.

DarkDragoon said:
Yes they are actually. Goku's VA did Gaston's voice, as well as about 6000 other minor characters in Berserk.

Someone told me that the VA of Bardock was the same as Guts. I tested it and I would have to agree, though I have no proof.

Malf

You cannot escape YOUR FATE!
Hellsing had nice japanese but I liked the english because the people actualy had the right acent. An the english does go well for berserk becuase of the medievel setting.

I thought The voice of gaston wasnt so bad. But when watching dbz gokus voice does get annoying, but compared to the japanese goku holy crap his voice is mega dooper high little girl style.

lady charlettes voice played by the same person as misty from pokemon was well done i think. I really dont think any ones voice was bad in english but i Thought the voice of the gay governer could have been done better instead of griffiths voice.

I believe the the person who does the voice of casca is also the voice of a dieing child in the weathering continent but besides that I would also like to know of other shows or movies that the berserk cast has been besides samurai deeper kyo.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Jon Schaffer said:
Oh, oh well :p thanks for correcting me.
Roger's VA(Big O) is also Spike's(Cowboy Bebop).
he is also Tom from toonami, shishio from rurouni kenshin, Darcia from wolf's rain, Jamie from Megas XLR, and did some various voices for FLCL. I think that's most of the cartoon network things he's been in.

The_Fetus_Ninja

Lets go, bub!
i thought the english voices were perfect for berserk. guts had the manly raspy anithero type voice. almost clint eastwoodish. griffith had the metrosexual suave I'm-going-to-fuck-you-over-first-chance-I-get voice. the japanese voice actors have too high of voices to do ballsy type heros like guts. sure its ok for shit like dbz and akira where its a bunch of kids, buts guts is a manly man with a massive set swinging below. Actually, I prefer the american dubs over the originals in most everything so I suppose I'm biased. although, bastard!! did sound pretty good in japanese. whatever, the main characters voices were sweet.

I thought the English VA was spot-on where it matters, which is Guts, Griffith and Caska. The Japanese VA was ok when I first watched the series, but after watching through it and comparing to the English VA I realize it's not as good. There are some issues with the English VA but at least the main characters are right.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Headless Death said:
he is also Tom from toonami, shishio from rurouni kenshin, Darcia from wolf's rain, Jamie from Megas XLR, and did some various voices for FLCL.  I think that's most of the cartoon network things he's been in.
god, kenshin had such a horrific dub.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
IIRC, in one of the outtakes isn't Guts looking at Gaston when he makes a comment like "Which one of you is Goku?"

By the way, as soon as I heard "Lets hear it for our commander!" the word Kamehameha popped into my head.

And I prefer dub, I tried listening to the japanese voices(watching ep 6) but as soon as I heard Gut's and then Zodd's voice I shut it off.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
I love Griffith's anime dub voice.. it's very fitting.. and the occasional randomly busting out in a song is good too.

Top Bottom