Berserk voice acting

All_4_Yume

Yume Chaser
I like them both but I think the dub is better. I guess I'm accustomed to hearing english when seeing medieval stuff like castles and knights. Japanese Guts sounds like he's voiced by least 2 different people. Unlike most of the folks in this thread I thought japanese Zodd sounder better. I thought he sounded tough in japanese but whatever. English Griffith was godly. I liked japanese Caska better as she was a little too annoying in english. I held off truly judging English Guts until I heard "the line." When japanese dude yelled "Griffithussuu!!!" I got chills down by my spine so english guy had to least equal that for me to totally give him the thumbs up. I must say even after I've seen that scene at least 5 times before the english dub the english va scream gave me the chills like as if it was the first time I saw it. Thumbs up, the boy did his thing.

I didn't like Griffiths voice actor. It sounded to average. I was expecting this deep unearthly voice, like in the opening with the decrepit hand. But I didn't get it. I agree though, Caskas voice was the worst. Especially when she yelled "BASTARD!"

nir085

Horse and Armor
Jon the Madman said:
I didn't like Griffiths voice actor. It sounded to average. I was expecting this deep unearthly voice, like in the opening with the decrepit hand. But I didn't get it.
Huh? Deep, unearthly voice...you mean, like an Apostle's voice? Griffith was just an ambitious, charismatic, and somewhat snobbish pretty boy in the Taka No Dan Arc. Like the Harvard prep turned evil or something to that effect. So how didn't Griffith's VA fit him?

I agree though, Caskas voice was the worst. Especially when she yelled "BASTARD!"
Caska sounded like a whiny bitch, yeah, but she is a whiny bitch. Can you really imagine this girl:
caska.jpg

caska2.jpg

caska3.jpg

having a upper class, deep, or high pitched voice?

nir085 said:
Huh? Deep, uneartly voice...you mean, like an Apostle's voice? Griffith was just an ambitious, charismatic, and somewhat snobbish pretty boy in the Taka No Dan Arc. Like the Harvard prep turned evil or something to that effect. So how didn't Griffith's VA fit him?

Well, he is Femto after all...

But I see what your saying. It was just the way I saw it. Everyone has different expectations and mine (as usual) was WAY off.

Most apostles have that voice that sounds like two people are talking. Which is probably because they're apostle form is like another person...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jon the Madman said:
Most apostles have that voice that sounds like two people are talking. Which is probably because they're apostle form is like another person...

Well, to be honest I think it's more just because it's a cool effect.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Malf said:
an aposltles voice wouldnt work at all for griffith in my opinion.
If I remeber correctly they only use that effect for an apostle when it's in the form of an apostle, but i'm not sure. And we have yet to see "Griffith Apostle", so...

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Griffith is a hardcore metrosexual. A deep apostle voice wouldnt work for him at all. His english voice was perfect. I can see why one would initially think of him as having an apostle voice.. if youre going by the manga.. because you see Femto before you see Griffith.. and Femto is a Godhand. But Griffith was Griffith before he was Femto... and while he could kick just about anyones ass.. a big, tough manly-man, Griffith was not. The semi-feminine, confident, ambitious, articulate, sophisticated, well mannered, and extremely passionate voice worked very well with him.

BAH to most of you, Japanese voice acting all the way. Any english voice over I have seen isn't necessarily always crap, but it always takes away part of the general Anime atmosphere and culture that was originally created.

Anime is Japanese, so let it remain the way it was created without westerners fucking with it any more than is needed. What are you all semi illiterate or something? Subtitles move too fast?

Sparnage said:
BAH to most of you, Japanese voice acting all the way. Any english voice over I have seen isn't necessarily always crap, but it always takes away part of the general Anime atmosphere and culture that was originally created.

Anime is Japanese, so let it remain the way it was created without westerners fucking with it any more than is needed. What are you all semi illiterate or something? Subtitles move too fast?

Calm down buddy. Its all about opinions. Just because the fact that its Japanese that makes the japanese voice actors better? I don't like them because it sounds like they just took in a deep breath of a helium balloon. Voids was good in the Japanese dub however.

Its just what I'm used to hearing. I'm not exactly a big fan of anime and manga, just Berserk which I happened to stumble upon at a friends house. So forgive me if I don't watch much anime and have insulted you by calling the English dubs "better".

Yeah, different opinions and all but I still strongly believe the original is by far more authentic, and everything about the voice acting was put in to best suit what the actual creators of the Anime wanted.

Sparnage said:
Everything about the voice acting was put in to best suit what the actual creators of the Anime wanted.
True, but Miura said he wasn't always there, he just corrected what was wrong. Your probably right though, if I was Miura I wouldn't want some prick with a high pitched voice playing Gutz. Japanese is also a very different language from English and I'm not used to hearing it so thats the only reason I don't like it. I'm sure if I watched things with subs I get used to it. ;)

I suppose it does taking some getting used to, but since I started I never looked back.

Also after watching many different Anime series that way you unconsciously find yourself able to pick up small pieces of Japanese and get a idea on what they are saying at times which is kinda cool. I'm sure I would have a reasonable head start to most people if I started learning Japanese for that reason alone.

Opie

The Sex Icon
The only dub voice I liked was Griffiths, so much so that I watched the whole thing just for it. Other than him its the sub all the way.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jon the Madman said:
Just because the fact that its Japanese that makes the japanese voice actors better?

Well, I don't mean to say US dubs are shit or anything, but I really think Japan is leading in that field, they've got quite a number of professionnal dubbers, and as far as it goes for me, their work's quality has close to no equal.

And I'm not necessarily talking about Berserk, take One Piece for example, listen to the Japanese dub and after that to any other, and you'll see what I mean.

i thought the dub in english was well done, the japanese one was ok but not as good. i never did take sides in the whole dub-v-sub war.

as fer goku in dbz and his voice, while its true his va in english isnt the best ever at least he actually sounds like a man as opposed to his japanese counterpart, wich is a shame as the rest of the japanese dbz cast are great.

also the english piccolo is cool, he does a good jigen from lupin III too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rammsoldat said:
i thought the dub in english was well done, the japanese one was ok but not as good. i never did take sides in the whole dub-v-sub war.

Well, I just happened to listen to the English dub, and I must say from the point of view of a non-English and non-Japanese speaker (as objectively as I can be) that it's nowhere near as good as the Japanese one, it actually sounds like a joke to me.

I normally prefer subs to dubs, but in Berserk's case, I think a lot which I prefer had to do with the setting. Japanese just didn't sound completely right with the setting. Though there were some bad parts on the english dub, it was very good, and I normally hate hate HAAAATE dubs, so...yeah. My 2 cents.

oldschoolgoth said:
I normally prefer subs to dubs, but in Berserk's case, I think a lot which I prefer had to do with the setting. Japanese just didn't sound completely right with the setting. Though there were some bad parts on the english dub, it was very good, and I normally hate hate HAAAATE dubs, so...yeah. My 2 cents.

I had to find out for myself on what the english dub sounded like, and I can safely say I don't see what the hype is about in the slightest. Guts is overly big macho man type, Caska has such a whiny tone in her voice that makes her so much more annoying, Griffith is Ok but only because he was the closest to the original voice and tone from the Jap version.

Maybe I'm just going crazy.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
I do agree about Guts.. his voice sounded too old in the english dub. When I first watched the anime I always thought Guts was like 30 years old.. and then I come to find out that hes like 15-18 in it.. and it just doesnt seem right to me.. he doesnt sound like a teenager.. but it was the first voice I had to go by and so in my mind that voice is the voice of Guts.. just because its what Ive grown accustomed to. I do like the voice.. I just think it sounds a bit too old for a someone Guts' age.

..and just an add-in.. I thought Juedo's voice in the dub was absolutly perfect.. I loved that one.. as well as others Ive mentioned.

I far prefer the Japanese voices, but then admittedly, I heard them first. Who here who prefers the English voices first watched the anime in Japanese, and which of you who prefer the Japanese voices first watched the series in English?

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Exactly.. it really depends on what you saw first. Once your mind hears a character talking.. it notes that as being the voice of the character.. so then hearing it differently wouldnt seem right to you.

Sven Viking said:
I far prefer the Japanese voices, but then admittedly, I heard them first. Who here who prefers the English voices first watched the anime in Japanese, and which of you who prefer the Japanese voices first watched the series in English?

Yeah that is certainly a factor but then again, I saw Akira, Ninja scroll and Ghost in the shell several times before I started appreciating the original Japanese dub.

ya know,

i would really like to see what the american voice actors for Berserk look like ;D

i was watching samurai kyo at my friends house (i cant remember if that was the exact name or not :-X) and it had rickerts, judos, and guts voice actors from Berserk in it,

it totally threw me off the whole movie :(,

but i wonder what they really look like  ???

i would especially like to see the griffith voice actor, it would probably shock me if i saw him  :eek:

- c  ;)

Top Bottom