GunGrave coming out!

The 28th is the release date. This every other month release schedule is killing me. One of the sites I was at had the third DVD up for preorder. I can't remember the date of that one, sometime in November.

The folks over at the arcticnightfall boards say that Gungrave is an awesome series. And from the first DVD it looks to be true.

The anime series came out after the game. Now a new game is comming out so I'm also hoping for a second season to Gungrave (not that it ends in a clifhanger like Berserk). That's another thing. Keep your eyes peeled while watch it to see how it parallels Berserk. That's what they told me at the boards.

E

ELEKTROFUNK

gungrave had no appeal since the first episode i was yawning , I quit at the 2nd episode

They say it takes like 6 or 7 episodes to really get going. And I can understand that. When I bought the first two DVDs of Berserk I had mixed feelings. I enjoyed the first DVD. I really like the first episode. But the second DVD bored me. I did like the 6th episode though. I figured I started the series, now I gotta finish it. And I'm glad I did. I'm actually enjoying Gungrave. It's different (I watch anime, but not tons of it).

The dub's good in my opinion. Although I'm not to fond of the main character's voice. But I've grown to accept it. It kinda suits him. I have only seen the first episode in Japanese. I'm not a big fan of the japanese version but the voices were well done for that too.

For morons to say they didnt watch past the 1st episode and asking why they should care, in a Berserk Forum nonetheless, is pretty much as ironic and hypocritical as you get. To say they love berserk, and hate gungrave is walking a thin line of contradiction. They have almost identical stories, with almost identical first episodes. Ive even read reviews that claimed Gungrave is Yasuhiro Nightow's tribute to Berserk. Thats why you should care.

d00kiemastah

All I want to do is...bicycle.
That's a logically flawed argument on why anyone who likes Berserk has to like Gungrave.  I love Queen, but I've yet to hear a good cover of any of their songs.  Except for perhaps William Hung's We Are The Champions.

Edit: Also, if I'm not mistaken, I was under the impression that Nightow's only contribution to Gungrave was character designs?

He was also the original creator.

Well seeing as how music is sound, just because you like queen doesnt mean you will like the sound of someone covering queen. If you only liked queen because of their lyrics, then you should infact love a queen cover (because it contains the same lyrics). Your arguement is the one thats flawed friend.

I should have clarified. If you love berserk for the story and the characters, then I find it beautifully ironic if you dont at least enjoy Gungrave. If you only liked Berserk for the music and the drawings, then you can PM queenfan for things to talk about.

d00kiemastah

You don't need to be so defensive about it.  I was merely stating that I didn't think you were right.

But okay, I'll give you an example that perhaps you may find fits more closely.

I like Pulp Fiction, but I don't like Reservoir Dogs.  I enjoyed Pulp Fiction for it's witty dialogue, and convulated time-stuff.  Reservoir Dogs contained both of these things in abundance. They have the same director, and the same style.  However, for some reason, I did not like Reservoir Dogs.  I thought it was just as witty, but I just didn't like it.  I expected that I would, because I liked Pulp Fiction.  But despite how similar they were, they were not the same.  I enjoyed one, not the other.  Just because one enjoys something that is similar to something else, it does not make them "walk a thin line of contradiction" if they don't like the similar product.  That's insulting.

Even if you don't agree with the example, you simply can not say it is hypocritical to like something, but not something else that is similar.

Friend, all your examples are examples of style. Gungrave is not a different story done in the same style of berserk. It is the same story as Berserk done in a different style. Resevoir Dogs is not Pulp fiction done in a different style, its the same style as Pulp Fiction telling another story. Big difference.

Before you can bring what I just said back to your queen example, what I stated is different from musical remixes. A musical cover (or at least the ones Ive heard) lightly use some of the same melodies and all the lyrics, but sound almost completely different.

Im not trying to say that you have to like Gungrave, if you like Berserk. If thats how I made it out to seem earlier then I was mis spoke. I assume people really enjoy berserk for the same reasons I do, which is the fantastic story of deep friendship, betrayal, and the fight against fate. If that is what you like about Berserk, and you dont enjoy gungrave, then all my previous statements hold true.

d00kiemastah

Okay. I like the Lord of the Rings books, but I don't like the animated movies. Same story, different stye. Am I contradicting?

haha well when you say you dont like the movies its not that you dont like the story its that you dont like the style the same story is done in, you still like the same story.

But if thats your beef with gungrave I understand, you like the story but not the style its done in. But thats why i said earlier that you should at least enjoy the story of gungrave.

Top Bottom