Shaun of the Dead

Anyone seen this movie, is it as good as it looks? Guess so if Peter Jackson and George Romero loved it.

Oh and here's some great news for George Romero fans. :)

"George Romero's Land of the Dead is casting up. Insider mags Variety and The Hollywood Reporter have revealed a handful of names joining the cast of the new zombie flick in today's editions. Actors Dennis Hopper and John Leguizamo have joined the cast along with Simon Baker (L.A. Confidential), Asia Argento (XXX) and Robert Joy (Sweet November).

Mark Canton, who is producing through his Atmosphere MM shingle, told Variety that the film will also will feature some big-name cameo appearances. "A lot of people revere George, and fellow directors and actors are calling to see if they can be zombies. I think it's a testament to George and the genre that he created," Canton said.

Land of the Dead, written and directed by Romero, is set in a world that's been taken over by zombies. The only survivors have barricaded themselves in a walled city that keeps out the living dead. As anarchy rules on the streets, the wealthy are sheltered in fortified skyscrapers. The story follows a group of scavengers who must stop the masses of dead that are evolving into more advanced creatures and trying to overtake the city.

It was announced yesterday that Universal Pictures will distribute the film which is due to start production on October 11th in Toronto." source ign.com

Shaun of the dead was a absolute pisser, had a lot of good parts to enjoy and I would certainly recommend it. Nothing revolutionary but alot of fun.

Never heard of George Romero but this new movie sounds alright, one serious zombie type movie that I would recommend is 28 days later.
I'm not a horror fanboy or anything. It's done by the guy who did trainspotting and though not a real high budget flick it is a good watch and creepy in some bits.

Sparnage said:
Shaun of the dead was a absolute pisser, had a lot of good parts to enjoy and I would certainly recommend it. Nothing revolutionary but alot of fun.

Never heard of George Romero but this new movie sounds alright, one serious zombie type movie that I would recommend is 28 days later.
I'm not a horror fanboy or anything. It's done by the guy who did trainspotting and though not a real high budget flick it is a good watch and creepy in some bits.

Yeah I saw 28 Days Later it was good but the ending... They should have used the alternative ending where after the car crashes at the gate the next scene is the two females taking the guy to the hospital and try to revive him but alas it's to late he dies. One of the females graps the gun they hold hands and leave the hospital together and it ends without knowing if they made it.

I'm not sure about this but I think he was the guy who created the whole Zombie genre. The first zombie movie was release in the 60's in black and white that movie is called The Living Dead. The Resident Evil games where somewhat based on that movie.

Then in the 70's he made the sequel Dawn of the Dead which some people consider to be the best zombie movie ever. That movie was remade this year. Then he made the sequel called Day of the Dead in the 80's sadly the movie wasn't as good as it could have been Romero was working at a very low budget.

Romero also directed the original movie Creepshow. He was suppose to direct the Resident Evil movie with the script he wrote but he was kicked out of doing the movie. Because Sony wanted to do a more action type of movie while Romero script didn't have that but it would have followed the first Resdident Evil game story wise. I guess they pick style over substance since the Resident Evil movies suck because Sony choose Paul Anderson (Mortal Kombat, Aliens VS Peradtor) over Romero. >:(

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
ZODDGUTSU said:
Anyone seen this movie, is it as good as it looks? Guess so if Peter Jackson and George Romero loved it.

I saw it thursday night when it was a preview [Three movie previews so far!]. It wasn't making fun of zombie movies, it is a zombie movie just a comedy. Also, Peter Jackson also said Cabin Fever was good. Luckly he was right about this movie.

ZODDGUTSU said:
I'm not sure about this but I think he was the guy who created the whole Zombie genre. The first zombie movie was release in the 60's in black and white that movie is called The Living Dead.

No he didn't make the zombie movie genre, he just made it populer. And it was called Night of the Living Dead which was later remade in 1990.

skeletonmf

Imprisoned for crimes too hideous to be named.
Sparnage said:

no offense, but if you've never heard of george romero than you probably shouldnt go around recommending zombie movies.

i liked shaun of the dead. not enough to see it in theaters though. it's been out in england for two years hasnt it? anyways, it was better than i expected.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
No he didn't make the zombie movie genre, he just made it populer.

True enough. The first 'zombie movie' that I can think of was "White Zombie" from 1932, starring Bela Lugosi as a sinister mojo supplying sugar plantations with cheap, undead laborers. These were more along the lines of the traditional zombie: a person neither living nor wholly dead, sapped of all free will and made into the slave of another, fully aware of their predicament, yet unable to do anything about it.

Most modern 'zombie' movies are really about ghouls: living or undead creatures that feast upon human flesh, devoid of reason and regret, knowing only the insatiable hunger that drives them. I guess zombie just sounds cooler, though, because I seem to remember that in "Night of the Living Dead", they were referred to as ghouls.

skeletonmf said:
no offense, but if you've never heard of george romero than you probably shouldnt go around recommending zombie movies.

Meh, I'm not really a horror fan but I know what I like. Besides 28 days later is good.

i like zombie movies,

my favorite was the remake of george romeros night of the living dead that came out in 1990,

it has the actor that played the candyman in it,

it was awesome :)

i might go to see this one just because it is different  :D

- c

Cronus said:
::)

They weren't zombies...

Why? Because they were really referred to as "the infected' and it was officially a disease that made them look like the standard zombie, make strange noices and go around eating people after being bitten?
I'll just call them zombies.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Sparnage said:
make strange noices and go around eating people after being bitten?

They didn't eat anyone.

zom·bie also zom·bi
A snake god of voodoo cults in West Africa, Haiti, and the southern United States.

A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
A corpse revived in this way.
One who looks or behaves like an automaton.
A tall mixed drink made of various rums, liqueur, and fruit juice.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
They didn't eat anyone.

zom·bie also zom·bi   
A snake god of voodoo cults in West Africa, Haiti, and the southern United States.

A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
A corpse revived in this way.
One who looks or behaves like an automaton.
A tall mixed drink made of various rums, liqueur, and fruit juice.

When the main soldier is talking to Jim near the infected prisoner he holds, he is talking about what he has learned about the infection from him. One of the things he says he is still yet to learn is how long it takes for a infected to starve to death. What do they eat?
Not every victim would become infected and it looked to me a few times during the movie where they were eating away at people. 

Doom 3 had during the game what were often referred to as zombies, yet they don't fall under that little summary of snake gods, voodoo or anything aside the supernatural concept.

If you want to get into details then they are only heavily based on zombies, but I just see it as a modern day zombie flick.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Sparnage said:
When the main soldier is talking to Jim near the infected prisoner he holds, he is talking about what he has learned about the infection from him. One of the things he says he is still yet to learn is how long it takes for a infected to starve to death. What do they eat?

Nothing, they are just living weapons. They don't eat you they chase you down and beat you to death. If you saw the ending you would have seen the few Rage victims that looked like they were starved to death.

Not every victim would become infected and it looked to me a few times during the movie where they were eating away at people. 

When? I don't remember any part of the movie where they would eat anyone. I remember them biteing people and that's it.

Doom 3 had during the game what were often referred to as zombies, yet they don't fall under that little summary of snake gods, voodoo or anything aside the supernatural concept.

Maybe I should have bolded "A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
A corpse revived in this way." instead of bolding the word corpse.

If you want to get into details then they are only heavily based on zombies, but I just see it as a modern day zombie flick.

They are only based on zombies. Only diffrence, they are still alive and are infected with rage.

skeletonmf

28 days later was pretty good. wasnt that great though. i prefer the dead series and lucio fulci's "zombie". the main reason is the gore. all these new big budget films try to make it look cooler by flashing a little peice of dismemberment or blood on the screen for a split second. annoys the hell out of me.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Nothing, they are just living weapons. They don't eat you they chase you down and beat you to death. If you saw the ending you would have seen the few Rage victims that looked like they were starved to death.

When? I don't remember any part of the movie where they would eat anyone. I remember them biteing people and that's it.

There was no direct examples so it may be the case, but they surround themselves with the dead for a start like in the church about 13 minutes in, and they evelop several of the soldiers towards the end. It does seem like for the first 28 days they are feeding of people til then, but for the next month the human race has almost disappeared so thats what killed them off, thats how I took it anyway.

Maybe I should have bolded "A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
A corpse revived in this way." instead of bolding the word corpse.

They are only based on zombies. Only diffrence, they are still alive and are infected with rage.

In Doom 3 though based on a supernatural concept, they didn't all spawn from corpses either, but often very much alive before changing. I don't think this being alive concept is an absolute.

Anyway if the zombie concept didn't exist there is no chance in hell that this movie would either. To me that makes it a zombie flick but then i'm not a hardcore horror fan enough to get real specific.

skeletonmf

Sparnage said:
In Doom 3 though based on a supernatural concept, they didn't all spawn from corpses either, but often very much alive before changing. I don't think this being alive concept is an absolute.

never played doom 3, but not all zombies in movies spawn from corpses either. usually the case is, if youre bitten you eventually become a zombie. when that happens, youre a corpse. i think you have to be dead to be an actual "zombie".

BOB

poruno sutâ
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm not really a hard core zombie movie fan either, I just like arguing.

Classy ;D

Going to watch shaun for the fifth time tonight. Must have something to do with me being a hard core zombie and cannibal movie fan.

i have seen the movie and it is funny as hell. it is the most enternaing movies i have seen! belive me, you have to see it about 5 times the least.

Sparnage said:
Why? Because they were really referred to as "the infected' and it was officially a disease that made them look like the standard zombie, make strange noices and go around eating people after being bitten?
I'll just call them zombies.

The director has repeatedly claimed that they are absolutely NOT zombies.

But I'm just being nitpicky I guess. Call them potato-men if you like.

Just saw it on friday, what a great movie and it was even better becuase i cut school to go and see it (well technincally i cut the pep rally which they make (try) to make us go to). But the point is that it is a great movie, and i loved how they made the most insignificant things so dramatic i give it 10/10

Top Bottom