Sound effects?

I've read through a lot of translations, and I've noticed that most don't bother with translating the sound effects. I can always geuss what they are, but is there a sound effects translation somewhere? Preferably to vol. 1 - 4....

vol 1:

blamo!, pooooowwwwww!!!!!, argh, aaaaaarrrghhh!!!!!!!, kaboom!, uuuuuuuuuggggh!!!!!!, swoop!, bang-blam

vol 2: flap flap, eeeeeeeeeeeppppp!!!!!!!!, kapowo!!!!!, eeeeeeeeaaaaarrghhhhh!!!, booooooooomm (tough actin tinactin ;D), aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgh,

vol 3 .......

(hope you get the point ;))

- c 8)

10-4 said:
vol 1:

blamo!,  pooooowwwwww!!!!!, argh, aaaaaarrrghhh!!!!!!!,  kaboom!, uuuuuuuuuggggh!!!!!!,  swoop!, bang-blam

vol 2: flap flap, eeeeeeeeeeeppppp!!!!!!!!, kapowo!!!!!, eeeeeeeeaaaaarrghhhhh!!!, booooooooomm (tough actin tinactin  ;D),  aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgh,

vol 3 .......

(hope you get the point  ;))

- c  8)

The point is... I want to know what those sound effects really are!!! I can obviously geuss, but on some parts it's hard to tell exactly. They should translate those along with what they are saying in the translations. That's my point.

ok, let me help you out  :),

in english, a rooster says "cock-a-doodle-do"

or something similar,

now in spanish (going back to 9th grade here, sorry if im a little off  :D), a rooster says "quiquiqui-qui"

now in japanese, an explosion might be spelled balmo!!,

over here it could be booom!!!!!,

to you it could be ka-pow!!!!,

a sound is spelled how you want to spell it,

i say it sounds like a loud explosion, you hear a sound in your head,

its different for you and me,

if you see guts slashing someone in half,

would you rather think of really cool sounds,

or have "slice" written in english so they can hold you hand,

now you tie your shoes by first.....

come on man, common sense  ;)

have a pleasant evening  ;D

- c

10-4 said:
ok, let me help you out  :),

in english, a rooster says "cock-a-doodle-do"

or something similar,

now in spanish (going back to 9th grade here, sorry if im a little off  :D), a rooster says "quiquiqui-qui"

now in japanese, an explosion might be spelled balmo!!,

over here it could be booom!!!!!,

to you it could be ka-pow!!!!,

a sound is spelled how you want to spell it,

i say it sounds like a loud explosion, you hear a sound in your head,

its different for you and me,

if you see guts slashing someone in half,

would you rather think of really cool sounds,

or have "slice" written in english so they can hold you hand,

now you tie your shoes by first.....

come on man, common sense  ;)

have a pleasant evening  ;D

- c

No no no... I don't want them to touch the art or the manga. I just think it would be nice if there were sound effects included in those translations. I've found some sound effects in some since I've created this thread. Stuff like, wolf howls, wind blows, etc. I would have never known that those symbols ment a wolf howling..

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
aufond said:
Stuff like, wolf howls, wind blows, etc. I would have never known that those symbols ment a wolf howling..

Yeah, that's a good point. I remember they did that with the old Viz Evangelion comics (remember when they put out manga as regular comics? heh) where the last page, they'd list all the sound FX, their transliterations, and what that noise meant in Japanese. Does anyone know of any websites out there with a sound FX guide?

d00kiemastah

All I want to do is...bicycle.
How about when Skully swallows the behelit and it makes a klanging sound?  I think he's perfectly justified in wanting to know what the sound effects are.  I think that's a pretty important one right there.

ah, ok

i misunderstood sorta,

i thought you meant like slicing people or his arm cannon firing,

but i see you mean what does a wolf sound like,

actually the main sound effect i can think of that wasnt super obvious was in the first volume right after he fired his cannon into the apostle,

a frame or two later it shows the forrest and some japanese symbols,

i figured since the apostle was screaming right after it was shot, it was dieing, and the symbols were its loud death cry,

of course i didnt realize it could be a duck quacking or an airplane flying over,

i guess i just take the obvious for too much, obviously,

oh well, if you wish to know, power to ya :)

to each his own ;D,

and dont forget everyone,

have a pleasant evening  8)

- c

Lithrael said:
Does anyone know of any websites out there with a sound FX guide?

Me I used this site, but you have to use a katakana/hiragana chart to be able to compare with the manga:

http://www.oop-ack.com/manga/soundfx.html

I agree that sometimes sound effects are quite important! Or sometime the "sounds" that the characters make can help undestand better the meaning of the sentences they say. Like in the last Episode (247) on page 01 Sonja says "ee" and I thought she was laughing, but it was more subtle. Or on page 03 she said "yare yare" and with this site I was able to understand what that implied.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Like in the last Episode (247) on page 01 Sonja says "ee" and I thought she was laughing, but it was more subtle.

Well it's actually not a sound effect but a word ("Yes", which has nothing to do with laughing)... And if I'm not mistaken, it's Schierke that's talking, replying to the pirates that she indeed intends to become a witch.

Aazealh said:
Well it's actually not a sound effect but a word ("Yes", which has nothing to do with laughing)... And if I'm not mistaken, it's Schierke that's talking, replying to the pirates that she indeed intends to become a witch.

Yes, you're right! I just looked more carefully, I was mistaken by Evarella's line between the "Yes,..." and the "...I am." in Schierke's line.

As for it not being a sound effect, I did notice that. And "yare yare" isn't exactly one, too. But thanks anyway!

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Hey, I can identify with aufond. I think that without being able to read sound effects, comics really lose atmosphere. Onomatopoeia are unique to comics and give them life! I think it's nice that a lot of these US companies releasing manga don't want to alter the art, but excluding sound FX translations hurts the "read."

I'm not being a smart ass, but you could always learn to read katakana. It's relatively easy to learn, and nearly all the sounds in manga are written in katakana.

Franz

It's a dolphin.
Just consider that its much harder to edit text over an image, such as Guts' face, and replace it than it is with regular speech/dialogue.

interesting franz, i never really thought of it that way,

i guess that would make sense for them to assume that you would understand a sound and save them a lot of time and money eh?

- c

I would be pissed if they actually translated the sound effects in the manga, because they are part of the art. It would be nice to have a sound effects dictionary at the start or end of the manga, though. Like this:

Page 1: Boom! Pant. Pant.

Page 2: Howl! Hoot! Whoosh!

Page 3: etc etc etc.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Oh, I wouldn't like it if they edited the art to replace sound effects either. It's just too bad there's no great way to translate them without altering anything.

Raijin's release of Slam Dunk sometimes translates sound effects that are really essential to a panel in the margins between panels. But to do that with every sound effect would be a total mess.

Top Bottom