Miura made an error?

puella

Berserk forever
Look carefully at this picture.

Error_Zodd_Arms.jpg

In the first and third panels, Zodd attacks Guts with his left arm but in the last panel, the arm which attacked Guts is his right arm.
I think Miura made an error on this. But I also want to know some other thought on that. Maybe some feint motion or something?
What do you think?

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
mmm the last panel seems reversed compared to the others.
Even Guts is turned the other way, it would be more logical that he dived at the left  and not at the right since he was looking at the left in the previous pannel, but Gut's knife and the bandage on his right hand are at the right place so the pannel is not reversed.
However Zod could be retreating the opposite hand (the left) to give more strenght to the striking hand (the right)like in karate. Possibly Miura has seen too much Karate bouts :p

There was something strange in a panel from (as I remember) Volume 3... Just after Gatts returns from meeting Griffith and the God Hand, he's lying on the ground with two Dragonslayers next to him. It doesn't look to me as if it's meant to be spinning or anything... weird.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sven Viking said:
There was something strange in a panel from (as I remember) Volume 3... Just after Gatts returns from meeting Griffith and the God Hand, he's lying on the ground with two Dragonslayers next to him. It doesn't look to me as if it's meant to be spinning or anything... weird.

But it's just that, an effect showing the DS moving, it's pretty obvious if you look at it closely.

PS: The name's Guts.

Ah, OK. If it looks like I remember, it'd have the be spinning pretty fast for that sort of motion blur (I think the two images were at right-angles with each other). I'll have to have another look.

Guts is a great name for a Japanese audience, but when English is your first language, the reference can seem a bit too direct. Vicious in Cowboy Bebop was OK because of the flamboyant nature of the whole series, but Berserk is a more serious type of thing.

For English-speaking readers, I think Gatts is a better name, and it's what I knew him as for the first month or two after discovering Berserk in any case. Incorrect, perhaps, but still better than adding "u" on the end of everything to account for accent imho :)  (e.g. "Spiku").

Edit: Just think of it like the differences between English and US spelling and/or pronunciation. What annoys me is the stupid dating system difference (lots of cases when you can't be certain of what date something's actually referring to), but that's off-topic.

xechnao said:
It's always the right hand: even in the last picture it's the right hand

Remember to read right-to-left. In the last picture it's the right hand, but in the one two frames before it (bottom right), it definitely looks like the left hand (it's on the left side of Zodd, and it doesn't look as if there's a thumb on the visible side of the hand).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sven Viking said:
Ah, OK. If it looks like I remember, it'd have the be spinning pretty fast for that sort of motion blur (I think the two images were at right-angles with each other). I'll have to have another look.

It's falling and rebounding when they return to the normal world from the Nexus. You can see sparks at the extremities of the DS showing it, as well as one for the Beherit.

Sven Viking said:
For English-speaking readers, I think Gatts is a better name, and it's what I knew him as for the first month or two after discovering Berserk in any case. Incorrect, perhaps

There's actually no doubt, and what you think or how you knew him first don't change anything, it's just Guts, get over it. I'm not calling Griffith "Griphys" or Void "Boïde" because it looks better in whatever language I might speak, so why should you do it ?

Aazealh said:
There's actually no doubt, and what you think or how you knew him first don't change anything, it's just Guts, get over it. I'm not calling Griffith "Griphys" or Void "Boïde" because it looks better in whatever language I might speak, so why should you do it ?

I wasn't actually meaning there was doubt... the "perhaps" in that sentence is a figure of speech. What I'm saying is that I live in a state of denial... an imaginary world where Guts bears a name that sounds less silly to me. Everyone's impression of the world of Berserk exists within their own imagination, in any case. It makes me feel better, and doesn't hurt anyone else, unless they're very touchy ;).

If it's really a problem, though, I can switch to Guts on this board.

Something that I'm /not/ sure of, though: Is it Beherit, or Behelit? I've always seen it as Behelit, but the Japanese L/R thing makes things pretty confusing (e.g. "Ogle" :)).

Sven Viking said:
Remember to read right-to-left. In the last picture it's the right hand, but in the one two frames before it (bottom right), it definitely looks like the left hand (it's on the left side of Zodd, and it doesn't look as if there's a thumb on the visible side of the hand).

Yeah I know that...but thanks for mentioning it because it made me see my typo
I wanted to say left hand...
So, it's always the left hand...even in the last pic and the one in the middle

puella

Berserk forever
xechnao said:
So, it's always the lefthand...even in the last pic and the one in the middle

Look at the direction Zodd's thumb is drawn in the last pannel!
How could it be his left hand? :eek:

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
The only error Miura made is thinking Zodd could make a fist with those claws... they'd soooooooooo shread his palm all teh hell!

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Majin Tenshi said:
The only error Miura made is thinking Zodd could make a fist with those claws... they'd soooooooooo shread his palm all teh hell!
mmm...interesting point..why Zodd should bother to strike with the fist when a swipe with his claws could be more deadly ?

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
roberto999 said:
mmm...interesting point..why Zodd should bother to strike with the fist when a swipe with his claws could be more deadly ?

Maybe because zodd's knuckles are alot harder then they seem?

Besides, when he is striking at guts who is laying on the ground, and Zodd happens to miss (which did happen), do you think Zodds nails might have probably aquired a scratch or break or something when he hits the stone floor, when his fist will just smash the whole stone floor to 5 different pieces? ::)

puella said:
Look at the direction Zodd's thumb is drawn in the last pannel!
How could it be his left hand? :eek:

You are right...my error
Could the left hand on the first pic be there just because of momentum?

I'm wondering if maybe he had some storyboard sketches, got part-way through the drawings, then changed his mind about the placing/directions he wanted for the characters in the next panels. Only a possibility, though... I'd have to check the next page to see whether it seems at all likely.

i think he punched,

missed,

then punched again,

if you remember zodd is very fast,

guts is fast too, even in his hawk soilder days he was fast enough to roll out of the way,

my opinion of course  ;D

- c

It doesn't show much in between to assume it was two punches, so it could easily be a mistake. Bound to happen somewhere in the whole series, so I'll forgive him for it.

Sparnage said:
It doesn't show much in between to assume it was two punches, so it could easily be a mistake. Bound to happen somewhere in the whole series, so I'll forgive him for it.

I agree... and i guess i could also forgive Miura i mean he did create Berserk... I just need a little time to forgive and forget

No way was it a 1,2 punch that is not Miura's style, he doesn't create fight scenes like they had in the new Resident Evil movie were you cannot tell what the hell the characters are doing (all you saw was the two characters ready to fight and the camera moves around alot and BAM someone is on the ground. How did they get on the ground you don't know, they could of fought or a comet could of hit them, they'd just end up on the ground)

And as for claw swiping the key word is swipe, it is not a punch and therefore different to execute

Well if the scene bothers you that much and you have scans, open photoshop (or something), cut the panel(s) out, flip em, and then paste em back into place.  Problem solved.  A little rough, and now the noticable thing is Guts gaunlet and hand wrap are on opposite sides.

reverse.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
Well if the scene bothers you that much and you have scans, open photoshop (or something), cut the panel(s) out, flip em, and then paste em back into place.

I don't think that's the point.

Top Bottom