Is Guts more powerful from living in the Interstice?

I can't recall a thread based on this but if there has been than my bad in advance.

This has been speculated on several times by members I'm sure, and I believe Schierke herself speculated on whether it is true or not when she first saw his abilities against the Trolls in volume 25, but what I want to know if it's actually been stated as fact that living in the Interstice has increased his superhuman abilities.

So aside being forced into constant training through fighting every night with spirits tirelessly trying to kill him, the brands ability to guide him to Apostles quicker than without it thus forcing him to fight harder and more consistently, the continuing experience or the Berserker armour, has he actually become stronger from living in the Interstice for such a long time?

We know he was using the Dragonslayer against the beast who first tried to kill him shortly after the Eclipse, though it's safe to assume that in the few years he has been using the Dragonslayer did not stop his abilities with a sword to improve beyond belief (eg being able to fight Zodd in volume 22 by swinging such a heavy weapon so quickly Rickert admits to not being able to keep up with his eyes.

Lets face it Guts upgrades the size of his sword quiet dramatically even for him after the Eclipse and finds himself very aquired to it, so I guess I would like to believe that such a big difference in power to follow shortly afterward the Eclipse would be because the Interstices power.

Sparnage said:
that living in the Interstice has increased his superhuman abilities.
IMO Guts didn't have superhuman abilities but only after the interstice
As you say he wielded the Dragonslayer after being sacrificed
Fact is that the interstice is a boundary where the physical world and the spiritual one meet
Thus Guts rage, that dwells in his spirit, make possible for him to perform these superhuman stunts while in the interstice
In his fight with Roshinu Guts said that perhaps her baby "face" made him miss her, influencing with his spirit
Remember also that apostles, being in the physical world normal humans have also tremendous supernatural powers
Obviously "spirit" is very important in Berserk and for Guts is an integral part with the physical world (that also works vice-versa I guess)

xechnao said:

really? because i was re-reading Berserk again not to long ago and i payed special attention to his abilities before the eclipse. Before the Eclpise and before he left the Hawks he was kinda a wimp (compared to his current state) but after he left the Hawks and trained for a while he became really really good. I mean before that he wasn't really able to tear through people swords as he does now, but after the training it seemed that his strength and speed increased at least 2-fold and was able to rip through peoples swords easier. I to beleive that just enduring the eclipse that helped his abilities but not by that much.

I also beleive that just having that good ol' brand makes him stronger as he progresses and fights more, i mean if his sword can get stronger by striking down apostles why can't his body or at least his armor.

I wonder how Guts would now fair against Wyld since he is alot stronger?

Somehow i feel that survival training in the eclipse is even more effective than going into the forest and train alone for many years... There seem to be a huge leap in strength before and after the incident... The way he wield that DS first time was even better he was holding his previous smaller sword

Seriously though i believe Guts skills improve tremendously straight after the eclipse... Do u guys realized anyway?

xechnao said:

Needless to say he was able to kill 100 soldiers beforehand as well as Wild.... fighting at the Eclipse could also be considered inhuman also.

As you say he wielded the Dragonslayer after being sacrificed
Fact is that the interstice is a boundary where the physical world and the spiritual one meet

Yes but he did look like he had a bit of trouble holding it (well not exactly trouble but in comparison to what he was like with it later on.)

Thus Guts rage, that dwells in his spirit, make possible for him to perform these superhuman stunts while in the interstice
In his fight with Roshinu Guts said that perhaps her baby "face" made him miss her, influencing with his spirit
Remember also that apostles, being in the physical world normal humans have also tremendous supernatural powers
Obviously "spirit" is very important in Berserk and for Guts is an integral part with the physical world (that also works vice-versa I guess)

The inside of an Apostles body has a large connection with the Astral world while being in the physical world, which actually brings me to another point; The Interstice is much more closely connected to the Astral world, Apostles are strong, Apostles not only probably belong to the Interstice also but have a deeper connection with the Astral world inside their bodies, Guts is becoming more powerful since he has been branded....

Anyway do you think so or not?

NeoBerserker said:
really? because i was re-reading Berserk again not to long ago and i payed special attention to his abilities before the eclipse. Before the Eclpise and before he left the Hawks he was kinda a wimp (compared to his current state) but after he left the Hawks and trained for a while he became really really good. I mean before that he wasn't really able to tear through people swords as he does now, but after the training it seemed that his strength and speed increased at least 2-fold and was able to rip through peoples swords easier. I to beleive that just enduring the eclipse that helped his abilities but not by that much.

I also beleive that just having that good ol' brand makes him stronger as he progresses and fights more, i mean if his sword can get stronger by striking down apostles why can't his body or at least his armor.

I wonder how Guts would now fair against Wyld since he is alot stronger?

It is obvious that training, inevitable fighting, using the Dragonslayer more and such has been a factor to his growing strength, but I'm talking about if being in the Interstice over the normal physical world.

Smith said:
Somehow i feel that survival training in the eclipse is even more effective than going into the forest and train alone for many years... There seem to be a huge leap in strength before and after the incident... The way he wield that DS first time was even better he was holding his previous smaller sword

Seriously though i believe Guts skills improve tremendously straight after the eclipse... Do u guys realized anyway?

Again, previous training and battles during and after the Eclipse aside, the real question remains in the different realm he lives in since he has been branded.

Sparnage said:
Needless to say he was able to kill 100 soldiers beforehand as well as Wild....
Well he was a badass, one of the best :but nothing supernatural IMO
Remember Bascogne and Azan were also badass ones ;D

Sparnage said:
fighting at the Eclipse could also be considered inhuman also.
He was allready branded, before fighting that is

Sparnage said:
Yes but he did look like he had a bit of trouble holding it (well not exactly trouble but in comparison to what he was like with it later on.)

He was still getting familiar with it: a new weapon
Not so new since he allready used two-handed swords but DS it's kinda bigger let's say

Sparnage said:
Anyway do you think so or not?
:-\ Yes ;D

xechnao said:
Well he was a badass, one of the best :but nothing supernatural IMO
Remember Bascogne and Azan were also badass ones  ;D

Prehaps, but year later he was much stronger, killing and taking a massive beating from Wild, that is fairly supernatural, especially considering after such a battle with getting Griffith out and all he is fighting at the Eclipse even harder. Do you think he was suddenly stronger because he was Branded right there and then? 

He was allready branded, before fighting that is

We have no real proof on this issue aside Schierke's speculation in volume 25 unless I am mistaken, but IMHO if he was stronger because of the Interstice it would be something that comes from living there for such a long time, not suddenly making you superman. If you were a Godhand would you want the branded to suddenly become stronger? What would that accomplish?

He was still getting familiar with it: a new weapon
Not so new since he allready used two-handed swords but DS it's kinda bigger let's say

Absolutely, but he is undoubtably better with it as time goes, to a point where a man of his weight and size using it so well is beyond belief as a possibility. That is probably the main reason why I wonder if being in another realm of the world has made him stronger, but prehaps he would have got the DS and use it that fluently regardless of the brand...

:-\ Yes  ;D

Ok then. :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
If the Admin also thinks so then it must be likely, however why do you believe that?
Because I don't see any evidence to the contrary. Guts has gotten stronger since the Eclipse. In addition to this, Schierke has commented (not SPECULATED, as you say earlier in your post...) on how physical limitations (i.e. strength, weight of the DS) decrease the longer you inhabit the Interstice.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Walter said:
Because I don't see any evidence to the contrary. Guts has gotten stronger since the Eclipse.  In addition to this, Schierke has commented (not SPECULATED, as you say earlier in your post...) on how physical limitations (i.e. strength, weight of the DS) decrease the longer you inhabit the Interstice.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Why I think it is the case is usually when a person would bring up stuff like that in the first place during a story it's almost never meaningless, but the translations I have read make it sound like speculation;

" Is it because he’s been in the 'interstice' so long where the spirit can influence it's physical surroundings, or...  The shadow around that sword.... "

I

Italian_demon

Sparnage said:
what I want to know if it's actually been stated as fact that living in the Interstice has increased his superhuman abilities.

IMO Guts had and still has just something superhuman: he's Will (and mix of rage+anger+fear...) of Revenge and huge pride! (as others here agree)...
What the Interstice gives to Guts is not on his fighting capacities, and if this makes him able to somehow fight against Griffit i'm quite sure is just a Matter of "dimentional position" of Guts body and the DragonLayer that eventually will allow him to actually come in contact with Griffit's real Entity, the same goes for a Magic user that doesn't belongs anymore just to the human world!
When it comes to fight Griffit this is not at all anymore a matter of phisical powers like being stronger or faster than before (in facts a magic user like Skerkie might be more dangerous for Griffit than 1000 soldier, certainly not cause she's phically stronger!), that came just from Guts abilities growning proportionally by his feelings and training+Dragonslayer that being sucked more and more in the Apostles blood is acquiring what i'd call is a "specialization" on cutting this kind of Entities!

I

Italian_demon

Aazealh said:
Elf Jigenryû all the way ::).

Berserk #1 fan and laying dragons since 1996 ?

Seriously, it's Schierke, is it that hard to write ? Make an effort.

lol...
Don't tell me you never hard about the Dragonlayer!!!
It's a special sword that after hitting the head of a Dragon makes him lay down cause he's dizzy ;)
Sorry Master i'll try my best to remeber this name!!

Italian_demon said:
IMO Guts had and still has just something superhuman: he's Will (and mix of rage+anger+fear...) of Revenge and huge pride! (as others here agree)...
What the Interstice gives to Guts is not on his fighting capacities, and if this makes him able to somehow fight against Griffit i'm quite sure is just a Matter of "dimentional position" of Guts body and the DragonLayer that eventually will allow him to actually come in contact with Griffit's real Entity, the same goes for a Magic user that doesn't belongs anymore just to the human world!
When it comes to fight Griffit this is not at all anymore a matter of phisical powers like being stronger or faster than before (in facts a magic user like Skerkie might be more dangerous for Griffit than 1000 soldier, certainly not cause she's phically stronger!), that came just from Guts abilities growning proportionally by his feelings and training+Dragonslayer that being sucked more and more in the Apostles blood is acquiring what i'd call is a "specialization" on cutting this kind of Entities!

His emotions, fighting mind and incredible will power have always been large factors in why he is so strong, I agree with that and he almost certainly would have improved further even if he wasn't branded and continued on with his life normally.

Having said that since even before he came across the Berserker armour his physical and mental abilities have dramatically increased since he was 19 at the Eclipse in the last few years. From what was once somewhat inhuman power compared to now which is undoubtably totally supernatural strength he now has, I think we can all agree on that.

The Sword is a perfect example; Though it has always always getting bigger whenever he would upgrade it before the Dragonslayer came along, it would get 2 or 3 times bigger which of course is quiet a large amount, but the DS could have easily been at least 10 times that of his previous sword when he first uses it.

Thats a part of why I think there has to be something more to his growing power than simply more training, higher bloodlust and such.

I

Italian_demon

Mmmm...
yes i understand what you mean, but maybe you should consider something..
In the beginning Guts improved his capabilities by hard training.... but after the Eclips that training drastically changed in such a "inhuman training" as each night he had to fight 9 hours in raw, not considering facing Apostles gradually stronger, touching so many times the border between living and dying of his body (sorry i couldn't find a better expression in English...).
When Guts's body touched what i think is its own human limit the Armour accured to push back again the limit to what now we can clearly define an "inhuman" limit as it doesn't depends anymore from Guts alone...
Well in my opinion those two steps brought the Gutts fighting skills to what is his current Level!
(i think that if Miura wanted really to mean that a interstice-living person gets a further strenght just for the fact itself, he would point out more on it and would give us more evidencies of it, in the end also Flora wondering ends up with saying that instead maybe the sword gave him such a great help in fighting Apostles cause of the dark shadow...)
I'm sorry this is difficult for my English... i hope i'm understandable anyway...

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't objects from the Material (Physical) World appear in the Interstice if they have enough of an impact on the human subconscious? As I recall, that's how Flora's Tree House got there. In his time as captain of Hawks Raider's, Guts made an impact on a lot of people. Just look at some of the war stories Isidro was telling a few chapters back. If Guts had remained a normal human, this wouldn't affect him in the slightest, but since he exists now in both the Physical and Interstice layers, wouldn't it make sense that the more people believed in Guts' strength, the more his strength actually increases?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Herald of Yama said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't objects from the Material (Physical) World appear in the Interstice if they have enough of an impact on the human subconscious? As I recall, that's how Flora's Tree House got there. In his time as captain of Hawks Raider's, Guts made an impact on a lot of people. Just look at some of the war stories Isidro was telling a few chapters back. If Guts had remained a normal human, this wouldn't affect him in the slightest, but since he exists now in both the Physical and Interstice layers, wouldn't it make sense that the more people believed in Guts' strength, the more his strength actually increases?
I think thats kinda stretching it...... I dont know if it's as simple as to say, if more people believe in him, the bigger he gets. :p

I just think its all of his battles and constant fighitng htat is making him stronger, that and the bit o mysticism or what ever you want to call it that is now apart of him.

Now the quetion i want to know... If Gut's doesnt die from battle, when will he have to, how to say this, change form so to speak. Meaning if he lives that long for arguments sakes, if he lives to 100, is he going to retain his shape? or is the aging process going to be halted? Just something else. to think about, we may not even get that far into the story before its over. ;D

I

Italian_demon

Herald of Yama said:

This is an interesting thought..... i doubt for now he had any help out of it....
But i'd not be surpriced if at the last battle, facing Griffith, the thoughts and feelings of people that support Guts might help him....
I mean maybe Schierke could somehow by telephaty drive the thoughts of people to Guts soul and somehow give him the necessary Strength to attach a God (that himself takes his Strength from feelings! ==> i mean Griffith)

Herald of Yama said:
If Guts had remained a normal human, this wouldn't affect him in the slightest, but since he exists now in both the Physical and Interstice layers, wouldn't it make sense that the more people believed in Guts' strength, the more his strength actually increases?

Ohhh, you mean like Peter Pan?!

Guts was just a really strong person to begin with, before the Eclipse stuff, since he trained at a higher level than whatever he was supposed to at his age. Living in the Interstice has just made him more attuned to that world and so he can see/touch all those things...that's what the manga said anyway.

The Dragonslayer on the other hand has gotten very powerful from slicing through the hundreds upon thousands of monsters and the apostles. Guts himself explained it during the Lost Children arc, IIRC, something about the sword stopping their spirit or something.

D

darkbane

dejectedgeek said:
The Dragonslayer on the other hand has gotten very powerful from slicing through the hundreds upon thousands of monsters and the apostles. Guts himself explained it during the Lost Children arc, IIRC, something about the sword stopping their spirit or something.
That was just fancy language back then, no way would he ever suspect something like that - not very educated, our Guts. ;D

SK on the other hand has commented on it lately, during the sealing of the Troll's Den. and also Shierke, when meditating on Slan's "demise".

Kagami

Goo!
I'm not too sure aboot the peter-pan style guile business...

but I have to ask, is there anyone else alive with a brand on them other than Casca and Guts?

Like, skully doesn't have one does he?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kagami said:
but I have to ask, is there anyone else alive with a brand on them other than Casca and Guts?

Miura didn't show us anybody else yet.

Kagami said:
Like, skully doesn't have one does he?

It's a possibility, but there's no evidence of such a thing at the moment.

Top Bottom