Weapons, Armours and Flowers

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Since there is a high level of realistic fighting and weaponry used in Berserk, I suggest we continue any weapon related berserk (or non) related debates here.
For starters, Gatsu, in my opinion, uses a norse sword. Were there such swords in history?
And did Miura study deeply the history of medieval Europe?
I believe so. I think he even visited these places. Some towns in the manga look just like the old towns around my place.
Shoot...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
And did Miura study deeply the history of medieval Europe?
I believe so. I think he even visited these places. Some towns in the manga look just like the old towns around my place.
Shoot...
He has said many times in interviews that he studies and is highly interested in the architecture and style involved in the Victorian, Renaissance, and Dark Ages. Curiously, when he started the series he was intending to have it take place during a "Joan of Arc" timeframe, but slowly leaned towards something less modern. Yet in my opinion, the architecture as well as the weaponry in Berserk is basically just an amalgamation of Miura's interests.

Miura was just in Europe on "vacation" in-between the chapters of 176-179. Its no coincidence that this picture( http://www.skullknight.net/manga/04.jpg ) is absurdly like the forestry seen in parts of Europe.

PS - sorry...i just realized you were specifically asking for information about WEAPONS only. I guess I kind of went on a tangent. My apologies, but the information above IS still valid, its just not specifically about weapons.

White_Hawk

No man, that's perfectly fine...anything related to real stuff from berserk is fine. It's my goal to wide up the world of berserk by such and similiar information.

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
i'll try to list my thoughts on berserk weapons, long winded as i think it is

-gattsu, during the golden ages, did used a sword that looks like a norse design (but the blade...well, you know)

-griffith used a standard, but fanciful, calvary saber -- which is a suitable weapon cuz he's on the horseback all the time

-zodd used something of a mutated falchion

-i love the fact that the HICKs used fancy swords to reflect their status and their suckiness in fighting

-it seems like the missile standard for the midland army is the crossbow, and just about everybody knows about the 100 years war right?

-did samson use a two headed flail? methinks that it's awfully uncommon. 3 heads, yes. 4 head, maybe. but 2 heads?

-i swear, judeau's throwing dagger reminds me of shurikens (not ninja-star ones)

-why the hell do they still use castles when canons made them obsolete? (at least in our time)

-ah, good ol' silatt, the prince of exotic weaponrys, i'll skip the katars, but the whip-sword thing (forgot name) is actually based on a real indian weapon. it's suppose to allow a single person to take on multiple opponents at the same time. it is extremely powerful (cuz it's so damn hard to defend against), but it's even harder to master

me likes weapons, but not violence...wait, then why the hell do i like berserk so much? must be all the naked women ;D

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
-why the hell do they still use castles when canons made them obsolete? (at least in our time)
Well...We only see cannons twice in Berserk as I can remember:

1) towards the beginning in volume 5, they appear very briefly (and almost NEVER again....) and...

2)  in one of the current chapters (184) we see the Kushan's use them. As far as why they still use castles...Well, they're only obsolete once they allow someone to actually get CLOSE enough to use them, if you know what I mean.

me likes weapons, but not violence...wait, then why the hell do i like berserk so much? must be all the naked women ;D
I wouldnt say im NOT a fan of violence, but I do think that the fights get in the way of Berserk sometimes (i said sometimes) Perfect example: Mozgus (or in more literal terms, VOLUME 21)   ................. We were all waiting for Griffith to get reborn, and we had to sit through like 12 chapters of this jackass fighting Guts. FUCKING annoying.

If i were to give a single reason for following Berserk as devoutly as I do, Id say depth.

White_Hawk

Judo definetly uses some sort of tenchu like shurikens.
I only dislike the gun powder weapons in berserk, they seem so outta place, especially gatsu's arm. I got used to it, but it sure took it's time.
The helmets are somewhat peculiar. I did see some really wacky ones in the museums, but there are some models in berserk that are just too much. Samson for starters. I'll look around the manga a bit more and come up with other odd stuff.
I wonder what style of fighting gatsu used...and I don't refer to oriental arts of course...

White_Hawk

Oh yea, I do like violence, even tpugh we should really define the term.
Shouting on a person is already a form of violence. Actually, any forcing of one power over another power involuntary is violence.
The wind is violent to the trees also.
That kind of natural violence I like, as it exists in martial arts also. When you fight, you try to overpower somebody else to prove your worth to yourself or simply to feel good, as I do. But when violence is used as a tool to accomplish goal of evil and sadistic nature, that I do dislike almost to the point of hating it (I really can't HATE anything yet, and I sure hope I manage to die without ever hating something).
So, Hooray 4 violence, Booo for evil. I know you may see this a waaay out provocation to flaming, but just take it as a little digression into the woods from the path. ;D

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Getting a lil bit off topic here guys....

Lets keep this on weapons, unless you want to start a topic called 'Nature of Violence'.

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
well, i could've sworn the main bad guy in "king arthur and the knights of the round table" (ye good ol' saturday morning cartoon in the early 90's) wears a helm that sure reminds me of our good friend griffith

White_Hawk

Anyone seen the 2p costume of cervantes in soul calibur...same helm as griffy, and siegfried wields the dragonsalyer, really cool

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone seen the 2p costume of cervantes in soul calibur...same helm as griffy, and siegfried wields the dragonsalyer, really cool
Whoa....thats pretty cool. Now that I think about it, there are some parallels one could draw between Griff and Sieg. SIeg has always intriguied me as a character (as far as fighting game characters can)

Well, actually Soul Edge is pretty damn old (older than berserk?), and Siegfried had that giant sword in that...Duke had a pretty big sword in Battle Arena Toshinden (very old) as well...so it's probably just a coincidence that Siegfried's sword resembles the Dragonslayer

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, actually Soul Edge is pretty damn old (older than berserk?), and Siegfried had that giant sword in that...Duke had a pretty big sword in Battle Arena Toshinden (very old) as well...so it's probably just a coincidence that Siegfried's sword resembles the Dragonslayer
....Soul Edge older than Berserk? Oh, come on Mage. We've all heard this argument before: "Guts is a rip off of that guy in insert game title with a hero that wields a big sword because game title came out before Berserk."

Berserk game out in 1989. Soul Edge came out in 1996

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Heres  alittle somethign I found a LONG time ago (october 2000 I think.) I just re-discovered it on my Hard Drive.
photo-18.jpg

Its  a spear from somewhere around the roman era (i think? I forgot...) it highly resembels the armor and weaponry used during Gaiserics time (from the small glimpse we get) and Zodd's armor. Im not speculating anything, i just thought it was a neat little parallel. Thats all.

White_Hawk

Well, Cloud in FF7 had a big sword clearly inspired by Berserk, since at the time it must have not been the really big hit as today. They had a monster from Battle ANgel Alita too in Dio's arena.
But i'd call them hommages before than copies.
And btw, what's this croatia thing all of the sudden?
Looks cool, but I'm puzzled...
walter?

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
When? ???
[/quote

in vol 17 where she was possessed she told gatts to raise his sword slowly -- i thought it was funny cuz she doesn't specifically say which sword

besides, i wonder if gatts cleans the dragonslayer after farneze.....well, you know]

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Heres  alittle somethign I found a LONG time ago (october 2000 I think.) I just re-discovered it on my Hard Drive.
photo-18.jpg

It's Viking actually I think, from swordforum museum (www.swordforum.com) I have the exact same spear on my HD too, as well as a nicely runic swordblade. They had a lot of cool pics there!

kawaiigattschan

Isn't he cuuuuuuuuuute?
Its more prevalent in the tv series than the other parts of berserk but the masses of thugs and the helmets they wear are very cleary inspired by the old Fist of the North Star anime. In fact one can draw a lot of parrallels between these two titles (blond haired ex-friend ruins the life of ragefilled black haired main character and steals the girl, etc) but I'll focus on helmets to stay on topic.

Gatts's helmet that he wears early in the tv series is identical to one worn by a thug who IIRC was Kenshiro's brother. But I do know a thug wore that helmet in FOTNS.

....Soul Edge older than Berserk? Oh, come on Mage. We've all heard this argument before: "Guts is a rip off of that guy in insert game title with a hero that wields a big sword because game title came out before Berserk."

Berserk game out in 1989. Soul Edge came out in 1996

Where did I say that Guts was a rip off of any character? I simply stated that the fact that they all have big swords seems most likely to be more of a coincidence than sole inspiration from Berserk...I mean, it's not that outrageous or bizarre a concept, it's just a big sword. I didn't realize berserk was -that old-, though.

magoamoth

Please... my egg... don't do anything to it... pro
For my mind,I think that the spear is celtian or germanian, 1500 years old,maybe more...
the drawing of a skullhead is really rare in romanian "art" of weapons(and wild boars referring more to Celts).....it make me thinking at some god of War (or Death) like Odin in Scandinavian Tales or Wotan in Germanics' ...

Very possible that Miura studied for a long time civilization and architectura of europe in Middle Age (his pictures of castles and villages are incredibly reallistics ) and visited it several times...

For miura's inspirations...do you know the old american comics "Savage Sword of Conan" in the 70's and 80's?
Muscled and determinated hero (but not really sensitive I admit), big swords, various monsters,damnation and hot babes.....
But this comic didn't have the same ambition than Kenpuu Denki Berserk..

Does anyone else know a(n old) serie (except hokuto no Ken) that could be compared to Berserk?

CnC

Ad Oculos
despite where or when its from, the point is that it resembles what we've seen of Gaiseric's time, and that Miura does research this stuff.

Top Bottom