Great White Shark!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Most of you probably don't know this, but I'm a Shark fiend; I've been facinated by them, studied them, and drawn them since I can honestly remember. So today was very strange for me, the only way I can describe the anticipation I felt was that it was like I was going to meet God.

shark.jpg
Because today I was fortunate enough to meet a Great White Shark, probably the most interesting, and if not, the most famous, shark of them all. The Monterey Bay Aquarium has one on exhibit (that's my own photo, it sucks, but you try photographing a Great White in a million gallon tank in a dark room ;)), and has had it in captivity, in good health, for over three months. This is a big deal if you know anything about Great Whites, I think before this the longest one has survived in captivity was 16 days, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, it's a huge breakthrough in their ability to study them. I started talking sharks with some of the Aquarium personal and learned that they hope to be able to keep her and study her for the next two years before returning her to the wild. She's been doing great in the Outer Bay tank and seems to be both physically and mentally fine. They say as long as things remain that way, she'll stay in the tank until her size becomes an issue. Right now she's only about five feet, a quarter of her potential growth, and I'm told they don't want to risk keeping her past even six or seven, depending on her behavior. Even at a million gallons, the Outer Bay tank would not be large enough to safely contain her at that size, and the people I talked to were even skeptical that they could even build a tank capable of housing her anywhere near full size. Too bad, I'd love to go in there one day and see her at 10-20 feet. 8)

I'm still hopeful they'll show her the money and go all out to build a super tank capable of displaying a full grown Great White, but I'm not counting on it. Anyway, they're studying her round the clock and the next two years should be extrordinary ones in the field of shark research. I suggest anybody in the bay area go and see her while you can.

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/whiteshark.asp

"Griffith No More!" said:
At first I figured you took this picture in the water.  :p

... has had it in captivity, in good health, for over three months. This is a big deal if you know anything about Great Whites, I think before this the longest one has survived in captivity was 16 days, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, it's a huge breakthrough in their ability to study them.

I do not know much about sharks, but I have heard the same thing from various people. Congrats to them, that is very good. Hopefully it will not die.

Thanks for the info Griff, its good to see something like this in STB every once in a while.:)

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Do they know what exactally it is they are doing differently that allows this shark to live in a contained enviroment?

Like is this the first they've tried with a tank this large, or are they feeding it differently?

Nonetheless, cool info, I would also love to see a full size Great White, ever since Jaws, it's been a dream.

You have to go to the real sea to watch a full size sharks...

Anyway what was the biggest size it can ever reach? Or at least anyone who has spotted it?

Does anybody know why great white sharks never live that long in captivity? I know alot about sharks (not as much as "Griffith No More!" but more than the average person knows) but i never learned why they always die in captivity

There have been reports of 26 footers in Australia and South Africa. I also follow sharks pretty closely. I've never seen a Whity before in my face and up close and personal. YOUR ONE LUCK BASTARD! I have seen a tiger shark while in Hawaii at the damn beach while in the water! My heart was beating 100 miles per hour. im not sure how big it was, but from underwater, with that snokel of mine it looked huge. :eek:

Griffith

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa/11/16/shark.attack.africa.ap/index.html

18 feet, don't see one's that big everyday anymore. I can't wait until I get my boat so I can go bait Great Whites off Monterey and get a better look at the biggies for myself.

raft.jpg

Now who's comin' with me!?? ;D​

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
yeah it's no shark, and many of you have probably seen this... Happy 3 kings day America!           

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=kayak.wmv

Regarding the Shark that killed the young Australian fellow (no point reviving the other thread) I haven't heard if they have caught/killed it or not, but as Griff said stuff like this happens once in a blue moon so it would be arrogant and pitiful of humans to kill it because of that.

That doesn't mean however that I want to be swimming in oceans that could very well have sharks nearby should I hypothetically ever go to the area where it happened.

I have a solution however; the Shark should be sent to a sea prison, AKA Sea world. ;D

Griffith

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/03/20/australia.shark.ap/index.html

20 footer. What a way to go.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
We had a great white in our sea (The Adriatic Sea), and it attacked a diver so the local fishermen had to take her down. The usually do not come this far into the adriatic sea (it was caught near Trieste, Italy), and since the ship traffic decrease due to the war in croatia we had no sharks here for a long time. However, I happened to be in the water with a blue shark and I have a irrational fear of deep water (which kinda sucks since I fish in apnea). The chances of a shark encounter are incredebly slim in tha Adriatic, but I had this shit luck of running into one (not literally) as I was diving and there were some tuna fish darting and the shark was after them. Needless to say you get very scared. SO much indeed, you almost die from decompression. After that I never went scuba diving again, but I have this fear of depths that's really stupid considering the fact I also have a solid shark knowledge.
The point of writing this book post is to say that great whites may be interesting, but they are becoming extinct as they still pose a great danger to man. You can't explain to the community that lost a member in a shark attack that great whites merely "taste" or "misjudge" their prey, and that they are a nice a majestic species. Hawaiians worship the Tiger Shark, a true killer that is probably responsable for more deaths than the great white, but when a tourist gets whacked they still organize shark hunts kill some makos.
They are a natural enemy of man, and as such they have little chance to survive against the general opinion that sharks are killers etc.

And getting mauled by a shark really sucks. My dad saw a guy get snapped by a great white when he was a kid and it didn't impress him too much. It didn't impress the local fishermen lynch mob that hunted out all sharks in this region.

Griffith

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&ncid=96&e=3&u=/space/20050503/sc_space/freenowkilleraquariumsharktravels200miles

Swim Sharky, swim. I wish they had taken my advice and built a huge shark tank for her so I could go in one day and see a bloated, 4 ton, captivity fed, 25 foot monster shark. I'll have to continue to dream. ;D

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I wish they had taken my advice and built a huge shark tank for her so I could go in one day and see a bloated, 4 ton, captivity fed, 25 foot monster shark. I'll have to continue to dream. ;D
Or watch Jaws.

Griffith

Yeah, that was their point actually, they have no idea how to handle a full-grown Great White in captivity. I mean, they only now were able to keep an adolescent.

my knowledge of sharks is quite limited. i have to admit they are really sick ass fish. i have only been lucky enough to see a nurse shark a few hammer head sharks and a few others but i have never seen a Great White in real life. i was always intrigued about they're history so if you want some cool reading material about sharks check out these two sites

this one is about a rare breed of sharks
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/innews/raresharkfind2003.html

&this one is about some shark history
http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/sharks/210699.html

Dude I had no clue they had one in captivity...yea i knew they had trouble keepin the sharks alive for some reason....where is this acquarium? Yea when i was real little I thought sharks were the shit...even now if im flcikin thro the channels i see sharks and its like instinct, i'm like "oooohhhhhh". Lmao....awesome shit!

Top Bottom