Episode 249

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
MaN said:
if hawks were to show up then sonja wouldn't have been so anxious about leaving the city and advising schierke to do the same...

Maybe, but maybe not. Sonja wasn’t in a hurry to leave herself, she just warned Schierke to get out of town. Doesn’t say anything specific about the circumstances of the devastation, just that it’s going to be very bad to stick around. I'm sure the Kushans will probably do the burning, but that doesn’t mean the Hawks won’t show up and contribute to the destruction (they like burning things too if I remember, like witches =). Anyway, Sonja obviously knew about the destruction well in advance, so that means the Hawks do to. Who knows, maybe in a nice bit of fitting irony Schierke will be the one to actually burn the city down? Isidro has already hinted at the idea a couple of times. ;D

So I’d say the Hawks showing up or not is at least a fair toss-up, and my gut feeling is that they will. We know they’re nearby, we know they know about the attack/burning, it would make perfect sense that they’d come to save the day, or at least try and kill the Kushan forces, and most of all, because Skull Knight said so. There have been hints everywhere, what Skully said, the Hawk talk when they entered the city, and then Sonja and Mule appearing out of the blue. It all looks like a classic Miuraesque setup for one hellish climax between the major players. We know that this is, more likely than not, going to end with Guts' and co. escaping out of town on a ship, but I think that’s just the epilogue to something much more important. Vritannis will have much more impact on the series than just a boat ride. Afterall, Guts is a man with a family to protect and a past he can't escape. ;)

Of course, the other reason I’m so certain of all this is because I can’t think off all the other unexpected stuff Miura might pull out of his trick bag. Anyway, I guess the best way to put it is I'd be surprised if The Hawks didn't make an appearance, Griffith included.

"Griffith No More!" said:
Afterall, Guts is a man with a family to protect and a past he can't escape. ;) Of course, the other reason I’m so certain of all this is because I can’t think off all the other unexpected stuff Miura might pull out of his trick bag. Anyway, I guess the best way to put it is I'd be surprised if The Hawks didn't make an appearance, Griffith included.

I'm leaning towards this view, too. Griffith also has the long lost queen of Midland, so the situation is perfect for one of his dramatic entrances to save the day. I have a feeling Guts will leave him alone if that happens. Right now Guts has more to lose than gain by taking on Griffith; he has his new family to protect, the possibility of curing Casca dangling out there, and he knows he can't control his armor. Letting the Beast come out to play kind of cancels out the "protect the family" thing.

I've enjoyed these lighter moments with the kids getting center stage for a while. I don't suspect Sonja or Mule of any sinister intentions. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to Sonja's abilities than we've seen, but then I don't think Serpico or Farnese have reached their full potential in the story, either.

And a belated thanks for the scans and the translations!

it would make perfect sense that they’d come to save the day, or at least try and kill the Kushan forces, and most of all, because Skull Knight said so. There have been hints everywhere, what Skully said, the Hawk talk when they entered the city, and then Sonja and Mule appearing out of the blue. It all looks like a classic Miuraesque setup for one hellish climax between the major players.

IMO what would make more sense for Griffith would be to let the Kushans weep out all the Midland and allied forces that are not under his command and then weep out himself the victorious Kushan forces...this would better serve to make him the leader of Midland, wouldn't it? [I ain't sure you are saying something different here or exactly the same thing ;-)]

And a question on a differenr matter...has anybody noted the shadowing of Guts' hand? Was this his senses alienationn, what do you think?

Griffith

xechnao said:
IMO what would make more sense for Griffith would be to let the Kushans weep out all the Midland and allied forces that are not under his command and then weep out himself the victorious Kushan forces...this would better serve to make him the leader of Midland, wouldn't it? [I ain't sure you are saying something different here or exactly the same thing ;-)

Oh, I totally agree, afterall, Sonja didn't reveal who was going to do the burning, anyway. ;)

xechnao said:
And a question on a differenr matter...has anybody noted the shadowing of Guts' hand? Was this his senses alienationn, what do you think?

Probably contributed to it at least, that and obviously because he punched that guy full on in the face. 8)

Overanalyzing the chapter heading sure takes me weird places. Griffith's forecast will probably be pretty accurate, just like it was in this chapter.

P

paradise_lost

So I’d say the Hawks showing up or not is at least a fair toss-up, and my gut feeling is that they will.

The will for sure ... it's just like all the pieces of the puzzle are going to the right place ...

;)

Olivier Hague said:
They're not Midland forces.

Yes, this is correct
Thank you for pointing it out   :)

[I included Midland in the allied forces over there in sense that they all are under the Holy See, including Midland I guess, which was also the winner of the 100 year war before the Kushans invaded...]

Truth is, now Midland doesn't have his army united under a king, except the "resistance" perhaps of the ex-politicians and nobles
But we have seen that Griffith will be dealling with this as well, approprietly to his plan, haven't we: code name Charlotte  ;)

P

paradise_lost

Olivier Hague said:
They're not Midland forces.

U right Olivier, but in a kinda of way we can consider that the forces of Midland never died ... we have seen for instance Myur/Mule forces to fight against Kushans in the past, and of course people who were inside forces of Myur/Mule is the same that in a case of fightings and wars go inside the "official" forces of Midland to fight against enemies ... so that ...

;)

xechnao said:
Truth is, now Midland doesn't have his army united under a king, except the "resistance" perhaps of the ex-politicians and nobles
But we have seen that Griffith will be dealling with this as well, approprietly to his plan, haven't we: code name Charlotte  ;)

Speaking of which I wonder if the old characters from the golden age will be brought back like Foss and Raban. And then there is Theresia who swore to kill Guts..... Anyway I guess since Miura is taking a break we can speculate all that we want.

Griffith

Rather than letting it die, let's just focus a little on what's important; what Griffith thinks of the forces in Vritannis. Either Griffith is going to see useful allies against Ganishka, or he doesn't think he needs them in the least, and as a matter of fact, they'll more likely than not get in his way eventually. If he let's them die/kills them, "Kushan forces" either way, not only will he literally be the World's only hope, but he won't have to worry about petty power struggles in the war's aftermath or further down the line. All the better for his Kingdom's (Empire now?) powerbase. On the other hand, with Griffith's supernatural charisma, power struggles may not apply at all. What say you, gents?

BTW, if Griffith shows up, we may get lucky and Silatt will follow. =)

Herald of Yama said:
Oh dear lord, NO!! Not this argument again! Last time, Xech dragged this detail of epic proportions out for three pages! Hell, it's bad enough I brought it back up! Let it DIE!!

BWARGHHAWHUGH..BWAAAAHHH!..!..GHHH...  :p

:p   :p

All I know is that Vritannis is going to be under heat soon, and I like the way Miura ended this episode with a big Schierke cheeser ----> ;D

Seems she is fitting more well with the group.

My Berserk tastebuds have been satisfied. :)

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Rather than letting it die, let's just focus a little on what's important; what Griffith thinks of the forces in Vritannis.  Either Griffith is going to see useful allies against Ganishka, or he doesn't think he needs them in the least, and as a matter of fact, they'll more likely than not get in his way eventually. If he let's them die/kills them, "Kushan forces" either way, not only will he literally be the World's only hope, but he won't have to worry about petty power struggles in the war's aftermath or further down the line. All the better for his Kingdom's (Empire now?) powerbase. On the other hand, with Griffith's supernatural charisma, power struggles may not apply at all. What say you, gents?

Good point. I think that he will intervene at the last minute when everything will seem lost (like the cavalry  ;D ) . That way he will appear like a savior, the Vritanis forces will have considerably weakened and since he saved the day and since they would need really his alliance (with their army decimated) and no one will be in position to really oppose him ( for the same reason) he could take the leadeship of the alliance.

Fenrir

LOS una volta, LOS per sempre...
You are discarding another outcome: Guts leads to victory the surviving mercenaries so they decide to become his army ;D, after all they have been gathered to conquest the midlands, not to free them (the "fre the lands from kushans" manifesto is just an excuse) so they represent more a third player than griffith's possible allies.
Beyond that Guts needs a army for a real showdown against Griffith now that he has the new hawks.
Just my 1 cent of euro 8)

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Fenrir said:
You are discarding another outcome: Guts leads to victory the surviving mercenaries  so they decide to become his army  ;D, after all they have been gathered to conquest the midlands, not to free them (the "fre the lands from kushans" manifesto is just an excuse) so they represent more a third player than griffith's possible allies.
Beyond that Guts needs a army for a real showdown against Griffith now that he has the new hawks.
Just my 1 cent of euro  8)

Guts isn't really the type to just all of a sudden lead an army.  He didn't even want the few people he has with him now at first.  Also keep in mind that mercenaries generally work for whoever pays them the most and I seriously doubt Guts has the funds to pay an entire army just lying around.

Besides, that would be too easy. 8)

Opie

The Sex Icon
I think the worst thing that they could do would be to let Guts lead an army. He becomes less Guts and more everything unique about Griffith. Keep em seperate I say!

D

darkbane

Great chapter. Shierke's smile on the last page freaks me out, but... nevermind about that.

Rather than letting it die, let's just focus a little on what's important; what Griffith thinks of the forces in Vritannis.  Either Griffith is going to see useful allies against Ganishka, or he doesn't think he needs them in the least, and as a matter of fact, they'll more likely than not get in his way eventually. If he let's them die/kills them, "Kushan forces" either way, not only will he literally be the World's only hope, but he won't have to worry about petty power struggles in the war's aftermath or further down the line. All the better for his Kingdom's (Empire now?) powerbase. On the other hand, with Griffith's supernatural charisma, power struggles may not apply at all. What say you, gents?

Even though there's probably too many parties involved in this event to sort it out right now, my money's riding on Griffith coming in late or after the fact. Something has to burn first, and it probably ain't Kushans. 'Savior' fits Griffith more than 'Leader of Insignifficant Midland Faction in Aliance of Holy See', right?

P

paradise_lost

darkbane said:
Even though there's probably too many parties involved in this event to sort it out right now, my money's riding on Griffith coming in late or after the fact. Something has to burn first, and it probably ain't Kushans. 'Savior' fits Griffith more than 'Leader of Insignifficant Midland Faction in Aliance of Holy See', right?

Well, Griffith of course 'll come to "The Holy One Able To Save A Battle That Will Be Near To The Defeath" ...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom