Isidro

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Isidro

Isidore isn't/wasn't an uncommon name you know, it was still used in France in the early 20th century.

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry

And Farnese was the surname of an entire family of wealthy Italians. That doesn't mean there isn't something more to it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

QUeeN typhonblue said:
And Farnese was the surname of an entire family of wealthy Italians. That doesn't mean there isn't something more to it.

Yes, but it's not as common a name as Isidore, it's the exact same spelling, and the most famous of the Farnese was a woman (that was said to be astonishingly beautiful).

Now, tell me the relation between Isidro (different spelling), a poor kid, a thief that wants to be a great swordsman and St Isidore of Seville...

There is a bakery near my house called Farneze, its italian too...

Anyway lets compare and contrast Isidro and Isidore;
One is a saint working for god, one is a little tyrannt that would rather stab god. One is a philosopher one is a vagabound fighter. They both...ummm, lets see...they both have hair.

Need i say more?

puella

Berserk forever

NeoBerserker said:
There is a bakery near my house called Farnese, its italian too...

Well, I posted this long time ago but....

How about wine? ;D

foto_vini_down.jpg

farnese_mont.jpg

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry

NeoBerserker said:
There is a bakery near my house called Farnese, its italian too...

Anyway lets compare and contrast Isidro and Isidore;
One is a saint working for god, one is a little tyrannt that would rather stab god. One is a philosopher one is a vagabound fighter. They both...ummm, lets see...they both have hair.

Need i say more?

Then no. :D

I only posted this to add to the inane drivel in this section of the board.

It was this or start a discussion about which side of the DS Guts will use to cut Griffith in half.

DemonX said:
Wow, how interesting! I would like to add that Guts are human organs in english!

I would like to add that Guts was the name of a German knight that oh lets see... ACTUALLY HAD AN IRON ARM!!!!

Plus... is it not obvious that Kentaro Miura's form of creation is more of shaping an already exsisting idea or fact and molding it togather to fit his story?

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent

chibipakk said:
I would like to add that Guts was the name of a German knight that oh lets see... ACTUALLY HAD AN IRON ARM!!!!
Honestly, his name was Götz von Berlichingen, pronounced like Goetz(I think). The name and arm seem to be coincidence, and to quote the interview with Miura to be seen on the DVD,

"Well, it's funny that you mentioned it, but l've heard about this knight who helped a peasant revolution in Germany and the knight's name was Goetz. And he had an iron artificial arm. When I found out about it, I thought it was a strange coincidence." - Miura

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent

Shouki Slann said:
Casca is also a character in Julius Caesar too i think
I forgot all about that. ;)

He(Casca) was the conspirator against Caesar, that was one to start Caesar's assasination by stabbing him in the back.

If intersested the play can be found Here.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness

puella said:
Well, I posted this long time ago but....

How about wine? ;D
If only for that  :p ;D: the palace of the Ministry for foreign Affairs in Italy is called "La Farnesina" = "The little Farnese"

http://www.esteri.it/ita/2_9_1.asp

ah and "Saint Isidore" in the spanish language , that is the language of the nation where he was born is : see below

http://www.elalmanaque.com/etimologias/

http://www.arteguias.com/romanico_ciudadleon.htm

I see that you have activated those stupid censorship again :p

P

paradise_lost

roberto999 said:
If only for that  :p ;D: the palace of the Ministry for foreign Affairs in Italy is called "La Farnesina" = "The little Farnese"

Well, this is the exact description of the MAE ( Ministry for Foreigna Affaires ) in italian language:

"Il progetto della Farnesina, degli architetti Del Debbio, Foschini e Morpurgo, era stato elaborato nel 1935, nell'ambito della sistemazione della zona "Orti della Farnesina", compresa tra Monte Mario ed il Tevere."

Basically, what is wrong is that the reason why the palace of MAE here in Roma is called "La Farnesina" not because it means "The little Farnese" ... the origin of this name is very different ...

All of u have to know that the zone inside Rome where is located "La Farnesina", called "Orti della Farnesina" was a very bad zone since 1920 ... it was full of rats, snakes and other bad animals, and more, it was a zone where much people with strong diseases like malaria, typhus used to live in ... this is for the reason why they were kept out from the "social life" (that one was a very bad situation indeed). All the zone could be considered for many years a kind of marsh ... this is because the big closeness of river Tiber ( "Tevere) ...

But the fascist leader Mussolini decided to bonify all the zone, and to create something new. For this reason, if u go around there, u can for sure notice that 80% of palaces those are in that zone were built in fascist architectural style.

Then, the real meaning of the name of MAE, "La Farnesina", it's:
"The palace in the zone of ^Orti della Farnesina^" ... and the exact point we have to focus in this case is that the choice of the name comes from the fact that this palace, a very big one, can represent all the new architecture (remember, we r in 1935 about) of the zone of "Orti della Farnesina" ...

See u ...

;)

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"

Funny thing is, this waiter at my favorite Mexican restaurant is named Isidro. Great guy, really takes care of the customers. Also of no relation to Berserk.

I'm not saying that there is no historical/fictional parallel for Isi-kun, just that I also doubt he was based on this particular Saint.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Herald of Yama said:
Funny thing is, this waiter at my favorite Mexican restaurant is named Isidro. Great guy, really takes care of the customers. Also of no relation to Berserk.

Funny you say so, I went to the restaurant the other day, and found out that there was a mexican wine called San Isidro, wasn't bad either :p. Maybe it's a common name there?

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.

chibipakk said:
>:( Oh and nobody mentions the ripping off of Puck from Hamlet?!?!

Hamlet? That should be "A Midsummer's Night Dream" where you have a Puck. What fools these mortals be.

Something interesting I was pondering on the other day, while I was in 95 degree heat in high humidity, some similarities of Ishidro and David. It seems Miura likes to mix things up and make a character of any type similar, not a 100% match, not even a really close match sometimes, but just have some similar personality traits. I think Ishidro has a few similarities to David from the bible. David wasn't a whole lot older than Ishidro when he fought Goliath, and his weapon of choice, stones of course. ;D David was not perfect, he did alot of bad things, like Ishidro. I don't think Ishidro has committed adultery yet though. :eek:

I just thought it was interesting to have Ishidro, a young lad going up against "giants" all the time, Guts kicking most of their asses, but he still uses his stones to his advantage. Looks like a little bit of David to me, I could be wrong.

Just a thought. :)

- C

Headless Death said:
Honestly, his name was Götz von Berlichingen, pronounced like Goetz(I think). The name and arm seem to be coincidence, and to quote the interview with Miura to be seen on the DVD,

"Well, it's funny that you mentioned it, but l've heard about this knight who helped a peasant revolution in Germany and the knight's name was Goetz. And he had an iron artificial arm. When I found out about it, I thought it was a strange coincidence." - Miura

Also, Gotz von Berlichingen (mit der Eisernen Hand) is generally credited with coming up with the phrase "kiss my ass" and theres a book, Internationaler Gotz Sprachen Fuhrer, with instructions on how to write and say the phrase in 40 languages. Has anybody ever wrote an instructional phrasebook for how to talk like Guts?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

DefaultJ!! said:
Also, Gotz von Berlichingen (mit der Eisernen Hand) is generally credited with coming up with the phrase "kiss my ass" and theres a book

There are threads about Götz if you want to talk about him specifically. I think that info has already been covered, too.

DefaultJ!! said:
Has anybody ever wrote an instructional phrasebook for how to talk like Guts?

How to talk in Japanese you mean? ;D

Top Bottom