Anyone else notice? (Berserker Armor)

N

NofrikinfuN

Has anyone else noticed the odd similarities between Gatts' Berserker Armor/Inner Demon and Marvel comics' Venom symbiote? Just minor details such as the ability to form themselves to the wearer, the incredible augmentations to the users power and even physical details, such as their both being pure black, aside from jagged white eyes and nasty teeth/tongues. (OK, so the armor doesn't have the tongue thing going on, but his inner demon does, if I remember correctly.)

Was this intentional? Or did Miura simply come up with a similar idea? Also, will we see this go in the same direction as the symbiote, taking more and more control over Gatts? Or perhaps Gatts pulling a "Spiderman" move and deciding hes better off without the berserker armor? I think it would be interesting to see Gatts shed his inner demon, allowing it to possess the berserker armor, or something along those lines.

Anywho, just speculation and boredom speaking, feel free to say something about it. :D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NofrikinfuN said:
Has anyone else noticed the odd similarities between Guts' Berserker Armor/Inner Demon and Marvel comics' Venom symbiote?

Yes, for quite some time, actually.

NofrikinfuN said:
Was this intentional? Or did Miura simply come up with a similar idea?

Hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if Miura said he took inspiration from the general design of the Symbiote (could be unconscious too). Especially the "fluid forms the armor reacting to mental stimulation" stuff, the rest isn't that specific to the Symbiote I think.

NofrikinfuN said:
Also, will we see this go in the same direction as the symbiote, taking more and more control over Guts?

I think Guts reached the limit already, but who knows. And the armor reacts to the astral wound Slan inflicted him, without that, he wouldn't be overwhelmed so easily imho.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Especially the "fluid forms the armor reacting to mental stimulation" stuff, the rest isn't that specific to the Symbiote I think.
Well the lopping tongue and thousand-teeth are pretty similar between the two, as you can see:

venom3.jpg
beast.gif

But ... who cares?

N

NofrikinfuN

I just find it interesting when one writer seems to allude to anothers work. Fun to try and see where people get their inspiration, ya know? Also, it's something to talk about, so why not? :D

I had always kind of wondered how the similarities could possibly go unnoticed, but I guess you're right.. Nobody really cared enough to mention it before. lol

EDIT: Also, if Gatts starts referring to himself as "we" or something, I think that's crossing the line into plagarism. Hopefully, Gatts will keep a very distinct sense of self and avoid a complete character-breaking scenario.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Well the lopping tongue and thousand-teeth are pretty similar between the two

Yup, was just saying that big pointy teeth and slime-drooling tongues aren't that rare ;D. Especially when you consider the fact that the Beast's design is a mix between a wolf and a shark...

On a side note, and after consulting expert Wally B. on the question, Venom isn't exactly black, more like dark blue.

NofrikinfuN said:
Nobody really cared enough to mention it before. lol

Didn't you read what I wrote? People were making pictures of it 2 years ago...

NofrikinfuN said:
Also, if Guts starts referring to himself as "we" or something, I think that's crossing the line into plagarism.

Schizophrenia is a registered trademark? ::)

N

NofrikinfuN

Aazealh said:
Schizophrenia is a registered trademark? ::)

No, but I think Schizophrenia + lopping tongue + pointy teeth + ability to form to wearer + color scheme is pushing it. lol

Plagarism is tricky, because pretty much everything has already been done... However add enough similar elements together and it raises a few questions.

I was unaware of anything bererker armor-related, two years ago, as I'm only recently getting into the manga. (Two years ago was around the first I had seen of the Anime.) It's actually quite surprising to find Berserk is around 10 years old, really.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NofrikinfuN said:
No, but I think Schizophrenia + lopping tongue + pointy teeth + ability to form to wearer + color scheme is pushing it. lol

It all depends on the context, but anyway, I'm with Walter on that one, and I already gave my opinion on the matter.

NofrikinfuN said:
I was unaware of anything bererker armor-related, two years ago

I'd say more like Beast-related, and it has probably been thought of even before. Don't hesitate to search for old topics.

NofrikinfuN said:
It's actually quite surprising to find Berserk is around 10 years old, really.

15 years old actually, 16 if you count the prototype.

N

NofrikinfuN

redria said:
Yes, I noticed. I made a thread about it 5 months ago ;D

I will appreciate it if you do not contact the Forum Noob Police. It's just.. Digging through all those old threads.. Ugh.

Makes me think of graverobbing, for some reason. lol

NofrikinfuN said:
Has anyone else noticed the odd similarities between Guts' Berserker Armor/Inner Demon and Marvel comics' Venom symbiote? Just minor details such as the ability to form themselves to the wearer, the incredible augmentations to the users power and even physical details, such as their both being pure black, aside from jagged white eyes and nasty teeth/tongues. (OK, so the armor doesn't have the tongue thing going on, but his inner demon does, if I remember correctly.)

Was this intentional? Or did Miura simply come up with a similar idea? Also, will we see this go in the same direction as the symbiote, taking more and more control over Guts? Or perhaps Guts pulling a "Spiderman" move and deciding hes better off without the berserker armor? I think it would be interesting to see Guts shed his inner demon, allowing it to possess the berserker armor, or something along those lines.

Anywho, just speculation and boredom speaking, feel free to say something about it. :D

It's not a very hard connection to make. The Venom symbiote and Guts' armor react very similar (there was a character in Kenshin that had even more obvious Venom-like traits). Although part of the storyline reminded me more of Iron man and the connection of Tony Stark needing the armor to live. The Berserker armor more or less reacts to Guts’ ID so it’s more Guts coming into control over his feelings then an outside personality (like the Venom symbiote) feeding into and off his hate (as in the Brock/Venom parasitic relationship).

But it’s totally a "whatever" type of issue. It has no bearing on the story or anything else for that matter.

N

NofrikinfuN

Technically, nothing said in any forum has any bearing on the story whatsoever. It will play out however Miura wants it to regardless of any grand observations made by fans. I just wanted to discuss it so I made a thread. lol

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NofrikinfuN said:
Technically, nothing said in any forum has any bearing on the story whatsoever.

I think his point is that the ressemblance is superficial and, though worth of mentioning, has no real impact on anything.

N

NofrikinfuN

Okie day. :D

Luckily, Venom is one of my favorite character concepts, so really any resemblance the berserker armor may bear could only affect my opinion of him positively. (Aside from the helm, I don't particularly like it.) The cannon-arm and the missing eye, those had to grow on me.

The berserker armor is just more sweet, sweet coolness.

N

NofrikinfuN

Walter said:
It's "Berserk's Armor"

See here for details

Doh... I accept this correction with no further argument. ;)

I suppose I just liked the sound of "Berserker Armor" better, so I went with it. Much like I know the official name is Guts, but I still use G-a-t-t-s.

Incorrect, but I likes it. :D

Top Bottom