DOOM DOOM....Doom???

Sorry if there's already a topic about the Doom Movie, but the search function works for shit, so I couldn't find it.
Anywho, found this on TheMovieBlog and thought it was rather funny:

It looks like famous last words when I said in another post that the people at Id were being really clever and holding onto the rights for the movie Doom so they could get the right deal and a proper adaptation.

Now, with news from Dark Horizons making me spurt my tea across the monitor, I find myself mocking my very own words and shaking my head slowly in despair.

Before I make a quote from their story, let me remind you of the story of Doom. A project in a science research lab on Mars goes terribly wrong and leaves a gateway open to Hell itself, a sole Space Marine is left alive and takes on the hoardes of fiendish creatures in the form of mutated Marines and those direct from Hell.

Okay, keep that in the fore front of your mind and read the following quote:

Screenwriter Dave Callahan claims "everyone was keen to keep the game's atmosphere", though there are some "minor" changes done to the film's concept:

You can already tell can't you?

The monsters have nothing to do with hell, the plot is not taking place on Mars and "space marines" are not well "space marines" as their outfits are more like SWAT team members.

The story follows eight marines, teleported into a command centre of a secret base on a remote planet. There, they learn that something strange is happening and soon monsters start to appear. The monsters aren't from hell, but rather people mutated by some nasty super-virus although the monsters look very similar to those in the game.

What?! So Doom now just turns into Resident Evil Redux? Geez, so much for Id looking after their product, Callahan has effectively turned this totally away from what the original idea was all about. Wait though, there are a couple of similarities still.

There will be loads of shooting though, especially in the end where a large number of sequences will be shot purely in "first-person" perspective of the leading character (Karl Urban). The chainsaw and Bio Force Gun do appear in the film.

Well thank the lord for that. We can watch a replay of some of the original game but in modern day movie magic. Oh dear lord, did anybody on this project watch Resident Evil and see the returns? I don't want to make harsh judgements, but already this looks bad. If it does work out well, it'll just be another version of RE, and nothing much to do with Doom.

Some people shouldnt be allowed to write a screen play or direct a movie. Only directors and writers who are fans of the game should be allowed to make a movie based on the source material. Hollywood really fucking blows in this area.

dwarfkicker said:
Some people shouldnt be allowed to write a screen play or direct a movie. Only directors and writers who are fans of the game should be allowed to make a movie based on the source material. Hollywood really fucking blows in this area.
Even then, there's never a garauntee that all that fandamonium they have will translate to quality on the screen.

I'm just saying they shouldn't deviate from the source material. Doom was never meant to be Resident Evil in the far future. Doom is supposed to be.......well.......Doom.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Did someone say.....Doom?

gir%20squirrel.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ranemaka13 said:
I don't want to make harsh judgements, but already this looks bad. If it does work out well, it'll just be another version of RE, and nothing much to do with Doom.

Seriously, I'm disgusted. Not that I was awaiting something great, but at least it could have sticked to the original plot...

BOB

poruno sutâ
They should have taken van damme as a space marine alongside hulk hogan.
Director should have been Uwe Boll.

Why not a complete crapfest?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BOB said:

I'd prefer that actually, it would have been funny at least.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
BOB said:

Why not a complete crapfest?

Bob brings forth an excellent point. I agree with Bob. Everyone should agree with Bob. Bob cures all that ails you! All hail Bob!

BOB

poruno sutâ
I'm flattered. I just knew that Boll would be perfect. House of the dead was a masterpiece that easily surpassed all that Romero ever directed. I hope he finds some time for Doom as he is currently working on Alone in the dark, Bloodrayne, Hunter: the Reckoning and Far Cry.

And just imagine a van Damme finishing move on a pinky demon. His famous slow motion multiple angle 360 ballet jump spin kick or the great splits + nutcracker combination. Oh shit i'm raving again

If anyone knows where to get a chuck norris action jeans, plz pm  ;D ;D ;D

Again, from TheMovieBlog:

Dave Callaham defends Doom screenplay...badly

I have to come clean. According to the open letter from Dave Callaham regarding the screenplay of Doom, I am:

nothing less than shoddy and irresponsible

I don't think he was talking so much about my post, this site, but more about the abuse he's received from big time Doom fans. Well, as Film Rotation report, I too felt really bad as I read the opening quote they contain from their letter. Read the next quote though and you are suddenly wondering why the hell he's complaing.

Okay, apparently we may have quoted a source that was not accurate in his world location or attribution of the comments, but reading the letter it looks like the comments were right anyway and he goes on to say that:

The screenplay I wrote DOES differ in a number of ways from the games...we were never going to top Doom 3 anyway, and we all knew that. Instead, we have toyed with some elements of the game, and yes, I am pretty much solely responsible for that, since it was my pitch and my screenplay that got made. Let me assure you, though, that the themes and elements that you love about Doom are ALL represented strongly in the film...just with some new twists.

Then goes on to say:

I don't enjoy watching a bunch of strangers bastardize my baby any more than you do, but really none of us can do anything about it at this point, so I hope that at least some of you will fret, with me, in the direction of optimism.

So although he hasn't just listed what the changes are, he changed them for his screenplay and since then it's been taken away from him and changed way more, to the point he's really not happy with it and doesn't think it's what he wrote in the first place.

For me, I think the letter and what is contained does more damage to the idea of the Doom movie than the previous incorrect quote did. I would have just kept quiet, it now sounds like it's totally ruined and even the writer is preparing to distance himself.

Doomed? Or should we really try and be optimistic as Callaham is, what do you think?

Here is the Open Letter in it's entirety:
http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=28042

And here's Film Rotation's report (with a reference to Uwe Boll!):
http://www.filmrot.com/articles/news/005334.php

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The movie was called Ghosts of Mars or something like that...it sucked by the way. Although I do give Carpenter props for making The Thing. That movie ruled. Anyways, back to topic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ghosts of Mars wasn't exactly a DooM rip off, it differs in quite a number of ways. Anyway, this DooM movie project looks more shitty everytime we hear about it, which is quite a feat in the first place considering how shitty it looked to begin with. I don't know what's next, but I sure don't want to.

Top Bottom