The Real Gaiseric

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
From a Dark Ages website (link)

"But for all the savagery of his warriors and his own ruthlessness, Gaiseric was a greatly respected leader - he was both an able military leader and a skillful diplomat. A hundred years later he would be remembered in folklore as the cleverest of men. Still, he was more interested in pillage than in building a lasting domain, integrating into its new surroundings, and the empire he forged proved to be more transient than most.

As a devoted Arian, he bore an uncompromising hatred of the Catholic church (according to one story he was an apostate from the Catholic faith), and this may go some way to explaining the fury of his warriors' pillaging; Gaiseric was more than eager to humiliate the Catholic Roman Empire. Churches and priests were a special target of the Vandal invaders. "

Very interesting parallels. Especially that religious bit at the end. That aspect is completely new to me.

D

darkbane

That's interesting, didn't know that this guy also existed before. Seems to be quite a bit more savage than our beloved SK, but then again we have no data on his reign "back then" (that's postulating that Gaiseric is SK, but I'm 99.9% convinced that he is)

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Yep, Gaiseric was one mean dude. I've heard him called Gaiseric the Apostate before as a title, much like Russia's Ivan the Terrible, or England's Ethelred the Unready. What I'd really love to know(and what's surely been lost to the ravages of time) is, if Gaiseric truly was an apostate, what caused him to lose his faith?

D

darkbane

Probably four angels came down from the heavens and pulled a mean number on his capital city ;D just kidding, I wanna know, too

Herald of Yama said:
What I'd really love to know(and what's surely been lost to the ravages of time) is, if Gaiseric truly was an apostate, what caused him to lose his faith?

This is not the deal IMO...the real deal should have been the catholic clerics' status quo

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
I thought he was an apostate for his different veiws on faith. For he was Arian, and not Catholic anymore.

No, a different view might have simply made him a heretic. As an apostate, he would have had to formally renounce Christianity and return to worshipping pagan gods. Or, at least I think that's the definition for apostasy. Lemme check... I'll get back later.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
apostate
n : a disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc.

So I take it as He abandoned Catholicism to become Arian. ;)

I recall Miura saying somewhere that he doesn't usually use historical events in his work aside inspiration rather than used full on for the Berserk world, this is an interesting example of that.

Headless Death said:
apostate
n : a disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc.

So I take it as He abandoned Catholicism to become Arian. ;)
Propably, but middle/dark ages catholics had the funny tendency to excommunicate, burn at a stake, drown or similarly persecute those they thought of as "heretics". Galileo Galilei nearly got barbecued for speaking the truth. So maybe, Gaiseric wasn`t this big bad apostate, he might simply have screwn up bad(and in those days it was easy to screw up if you were catholic)

D

darkbane

Maybe since Arianism was considered heresy, anyone professing it would be considered apostate? (having "turned" against Catholicism as the one true religion even though one was Arian from the start)

Sparnage said:
I recall Miura saying somewhere that he doesn't usually use historical events in his work aside inspiration rather than used full on for the Berserk world, this is an interesting example of that.

I agree. In fact on the DVDs he states that only after he started Berserk and the Black Swordsman arc did he find out that there really was a knight who lived and fought with a prosthetic metal left arm.

Alucard said:
I agree.  In fact on the DVDs he states that only after he started Berserk and the Black Swordsman arc did he find out that there really was a knight who lived and fought with a prosthetic metal left arm.
Thank goodness he didn`t find that one out before he started berserk, or he might not have given Guts a metal arm.

Alucard said:
I agree.  In fact on the DVDs he states that only after he started Berserk and the Black Swordsman arc did he find out that there really was a knight who lived and fought with a prosthetic metal left arm.

Yeah, but if anything was going to stop him from giving Guts a prosthetic metal arm it would have been when he was worried about being sued by the Evil dead creators. ;D

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Sparnage said:
Yeah, but if anything was going to stop him from giving Guts a prosthetic metal arm it would have been when he was worried about being sued by the Evil dead creators. ;D
But Ash didn't have a prosthetic hand until "Army of Darkness", released 1993. While Guts has had his prosthetic arm since the prototype chapter. well before 1993. ;)

Headless Death said:
But Ash didn't have a prosthetic hand until "Army of Darkness", released 1993.  While Guts has had his prosthetic arm since the prototype chapter. well before 1993. ;)
You mean they copied Miuras idea? :eek:
Quick, call the lawyers, we might be able to sue them!(Ooops, I forgot, this isn`t the US)

Top Bottom