Blade Trinity

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Let's see...Hellsing is ok, but the Blade movies are much better, in my opinion. Why would some compare Berserk and Hellsing is beyond me...

Sparnage said:
Only seen the Hellsing Anime and that was enough to put me off wasting time with the Manga.
Sparnage, the hellsing manga is in a completely different league than the Anime. The Anime sucks, but the manga is much better! The anime spans only the first two volumes, and half the Anime(episode 7 onward) was not invented by Hirano at all, but by Gonzo. I hear that Hirano got quite pissed at Gonzo because of this(who wouldn`t get pissed if you inserted Incognito into their work?)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Khorne said:
Sparnage, the hellsing manga is in a completely different league than the Anime. The Anime sucks, but the manga is much better! The anime spans only the first two volumes, and half the Anime(episode 7 onward) was not invented by Hirano at all, but by Gonzo. I hear that Hirano got quite pissed at Gonzo because of this(who wouldn`t get pissed if you inserted Incognito into their work?)
Shit, I'm in the middle of the anime series right now. Does it really get that bad? (I'm basing my opinion off of the manga not the anime).

Senor Rhombaad, how shall I put this? Okay, the Anime is acceptable if you haven`t read the manga, but if you have, you want to torch Gonzo(at least I want to) It`s stupid that really good mangas get made into Anime, and diminished. With diminished I mean that the Anime lacks something the manga has, be it some of it`s spirit, a part of the story, characters....
As examples I put up Berserk, Rurouni Kenshin, and Hellsing. All three are good, all three have earned a place of honour in my Anime dictionary, but if the producers had held true to the story it would have been even better. With Berserk it isn`t that much of a problem, since they have mostly taken away things and not changed them, but in Rurouni Kenshin and ESPECIALLY Hellsing they have changed and added so much that the result looks like Cascas demon child. I haven`t heard of a single Anime whose manga counterpart wasn`t better.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
[quote author=Khorne]
With Berserk it isn`t that much of a problem, since they have mostly taken away things and not changed them
[/quote]

[quote author=Aazealh]
How is that not much of a problem?
[/quote]

Because it ends up feeling more edited for time than actively screwed up... Not done, rather than done wrong.

Half the Hellsing anime is Gonzo's Hellsing fanfic. Would not the Berserk anime have been wildly more horrible if the anime studio just pulled a bunch of new, badly written and characterized adventures for Guts out of their ass?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Half the Hellsing anime is Gonzo's Hellsing fanfic.

So instead of killing a bunch of latinos SWAT and a loser that threw poker cards at him, Alucard killed a bunch of SWAT ghouls and a loser that used some kind of half-assed magical stuff? Big loss indeed. They just couldn't fit all the nazi stuff in 13 episodes, if anything the series should have been longer. Not an excuse but what good could they have done in 5 episodes (not counting the Flashback one) anyway?

Lithrael said:
Would not the Berserk anime have been wildly more horrible if the anime studio just pulled a bunch of new, badly written and characterized adventures for Guts out of their ass?

You mean like Guts fighting against cliché dumbasses rather than against the Bakiraka and Wyald, forgetting his sword somewhere rather than it getting broken, Casca almost getting killed by a random mercenary instead of Silat, Griffith being the king in the first episode, Guts rescuing the fair maiden Colette from the average pathetic bullies instead of Puck, and let's not forget the best episode of the series, the one they pulled out of their asses with Adon. And it's just the tip of the iceberg, I'm not even talking about how everything is simplified to the point where some stuff doesn't make sense.

Removing a part of a story and putting filler instead is changing it.

Aazealh said:
How is that not much of a problem?
I meant that COMPARED to the other examples it wasn`t that terrible. And speaking off Hellsing, why did they do such a short Anime on it anyway?

PS. That "loser who threw poker cards at him" was much better than Incognito. I can`t really explain why though. It probably has something to do with me being a real Kouta Hirano zealot.

PPS(or whatever)
Another thing that I hate with the Anime is that they make Seras far more of a sissy than she actually is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Khorne said:
I meant that COMPARED to the other examples it wasn`t that terrible.

Even compared to, at least when it's totally different stuff you can skip it or you know what to expect. It's not like changing stuff here and there that lowers the global quality. I don't think we can rate "terribleness" anyway, if you see what I mean.

Khorne said:
That "loser who threw poker cards at him" was much better than Incognito. I can`t really explain why though. It probably has something to do with me being a real Kouta Hirano zealot.

He's got no style, honestly they're both as lame as far as I'm concerned, the Incognito stuff lasted longer though.

D

darkbane

From what I recall, the studio ran out of funds halfway through the project, which explains why Hellsing went to shit after 6 episodes or so. I actually liked it up to the incognito stuff, and that was before reading the manga. Now the manga hellsing did nothing for me, imho it's a good example for all mangakas out there how _not_ to draw manga, either by hiring unskilled assistants or by having no skill yourself whatsoever. And the story, well... what story? I wished our cute little police officer vamp would have gotten a bigger role, both in the manga and anime, but...

If you let go of the details, then even the Berserk anime can be entertaining. My only major gripes with it were the overuse of stills and the low animation quality. Tho I suppose that is because it's a bit aged. (Well having Kjaskar written in the subtitles was distracting too, even if that's really what it sounds like)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
darkbane said:
My only major gripes with it were the overuse of stills and the low animation quality. Tho I suppose that is because it's a bit aged.

Well, Cowboy Bebop was made in 1998... And they didn't have that big of a budget either if I remember well. At least the Hellsing anime was somewhat technically correct for its time.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Sparnage said:
Only seen the Hellsing Anime and that was enough to put me off wasting time with the Manga.
My God, yes. What an overrated show. What an overrated Count.

If you let go of the details, then even the Berserk anime can be entertaining.
Precisely. All anime adaptations have plot fallacies galore, but who cares as long as its entertaining? And the anime is very entertaining, despite the confusion it creates.

Anyways, someone should get on topic...so I'll just agree with Oltobaz in order to do that:
Let's see...Hellsing is ok, but the Blade movies are much better, in my opinion. Why would some compare Berserk and Hellsing is beyond me...
Agreed ;D.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Also with the Hellsing, they arnt even done with the whole Nazi part, they just came out with the next part! So it's going to be awhile :p

Aazealh said:
So instead of killing a bunch of latinos SWAT and a loser that threw poker cards at him, Alucard killed a bunch of SWAT ghouls and a loser that used some kind of half-assed magical stuff?

lol What about latinos? There in the manga? :eek:

Also with the Hellsing, they arnt even done with the whole Nazi part, they just came out with the next part! So it's going to be awhile

At the time when the anime was adapted there were only a few volumes I think at that time the manga was at 4 or 5 volumes back in 2000. I guess Gonzo the animation studio didn't have enough source material to make it a 13 episode series so they added a filler arc.

Well, Cowboy Bebop was made in 1998... And they didn't have that big of a budget either if I remember well. At least the Hellsing anime was somewhat technically correct for its time.

Well not exactly for it's time it had a high budget. I mean just compare the animation of Cowboy Bebop to lets say Berserk the animation quality is quite noticeable. Even some of the CG in Cowboy Bebop still looks good in today anime using CG standards. And that was in 1998. :eek:

But Hellsing was made in 2000 but it's animation isn't as good as Cowboy Bebop. Gonzo is known to cut back in certain areas on their work.

From what I recall, the studio ran out of funds halfway through the project, which explains why Hellsing went to shit after 6 episodes or so.

Yes the animation quality did go down it's not the reason why the anime series went to shit later on Gonzo just didn't have enough source material (manga volumes) so they made they own shitty story for it to fill up a 13 episode series.

Gonzo is one of my least favirote animation company they usually do a horrible job in directing or telling a story(script) just see Real Bout High School just plain horrible, Full Metal Panic which had bad pacing of comedy and action, Hellsing well obvious reasons, Gatekeppers bah!!!. Their only work that I have liked is Last Exile other than that most of their work are done half assed they prefer style over substance.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I think all of you for informing me of the whole Gonzo fiasco, didnt know that about the Hellsing anime, but what I can say about it is... it helped my wife get into anime! She saw the whole blade thing and I told her I had this anime about vampires and all of that. So she peeped it and liked it! Now I have her watching One Piece! Ahhhh the powers of anime! ;D

Wow, i just looked up jeff ward and it says alot of difent things like "retired motocross posting 20 career Supercross wins 54 career national motocross wins serving winning US team Motocross des Nations seven times..." or "Experience the great voice and acoustic guitar sound of Jeff Ward and listen to the best of traditional sing-along songs from Ireland, Scotland," BUt they dont say jack shit about Blade Trinity or berserk.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I think all of you for informing me of the whole Gonzo fiasco, didnt know that about the Hellsing anime, but what I can say about it is... it helped my wife get into anime! She saw the whole blade thing and I told her I had this anime about vampires and all of that. So she peeped it and liked it! Now I have her watching One Piece! Ahhhh the powers of anime!  ;D

Have you shown her Vampire Hunter D both movies if not do show to her, I bet she'll like it. D is soooo dreammmy. :p

SaiyajinNoOuji

ZODDGUTSU said:
Have you shown her Vampire Hunter D both movies if not do show to her, I bet she'll like it. D is soooo dreammmy. :p
hehehe, Well I wanted to but my only copy of the orig is on VHS and in English, that and my Bloodlust has no Japanese subs on it =\

darkbane said:
Now the manga hellsing did nothing for me, imho it's a good example for all mangakas out there how _not_ to draw manga, either by hiring unskilled assistants or by having no skill yourself whatsoever. And the story, well... what story? I wished our cute little police officer vamp would have gotten a bigger role, both in the manga and anime, but...
I happen to like Hiranos drawing style, and as for Seras, the Hellsing manga is far from over, so who is to say she doesn`t get a bigger role later on?

D

darkbane

ZODDGUTSU said:
...Full Metal Panic which had bad pacing of comedy and action...
I just have to defend this one ^_^. The pacing is due to the mixing of different books, they do alternate like that. This also prevents it from being completely gloomy. The only original material as far as I know was the Afghanistan episodes (15 to 17 or some such), and those were well done too. I really love the FMP universe, so maybe I'm biased on this, but I really liked the anime for it and thought it was well done. (Esp. when compared to Hellsing). OK, so Gauln (almost) never dies, but that's the author's and not the animators' fault, really. ^_^

Oh, and, btw, Blade rocks, Blade 2 rocks, I'm definitely watching Blade Trinity when it airs over here (who knows when).

Aazealh said:
Do you have numbers?

For Cowboy Bebop well no I visit several a bunch of anime sites and it would be to hard for me to find as to where it says Cowboy Bebop had high production values.

But all we need is common sense :-X I mean okay what 1998 anime in that year even look as good/slick as Cowboy Bebop?? I can't think of one Trigun, Outlaw Star, Berserk and Card Captor Sakura don't even come close looking as good as Cowboy Bebop even though they were made in the same year. Just by looking at one episode of Cowboy Bebop you can see it had high production values. :p

Top Bottom