Final Fantasy series guilty of imitating berserk?

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Well I have seen signs of this before, like clouds sword copying guts, or armor in FF11 being a rip off from guts old body armors... but now they took it too far.

puck.JPG

P.S.: The old kushan sword zodd used is better then aurons sword.

D

darkbane

DemonX said:
Well I have seen signs of this before, like clouds sword copying guts, or armor in FF11 being a rip off from guts old body armors... but now they took it too far.

puck.JPG

P.S.: The old kushan sword zodd used is better then aurons sword.

here's something from everyone's favorite dictionary.com:

Puck ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pk)
n.
1. A mischievous sprite in English folklore.

As you can see, Miura does not have any kind of copyright on the idea of having a fairy and calling it Puck. For further reference, read Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Iirc, Cloud's sword was rather short, wasn't it?

well, FF7 came out 08/31/1997 and BERSERK (In japanese) came out 1990, and if i am right The Berserk Anime Came out here 1997-10-07 to 1998-03-31 (or did it come out in 2002) So People How Played FF7 and Then watched Berserk, Would Think Berserk Copyed FF7. It Works Both Ways.

DemonX said:
... but now they took it too far.
puck.JPG

How Do You Know Thats Not a Person Who Picked Up FF11, Made A Fairy, and Named Him Puck.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
kid_berserk said:
well, FF7 came out 08/31/1997 and BERSERK (In japanese) came out 1990, and if i am right The Berserk Anime Came out here 1997-10-07 to 1998-03-31 (or did it come out in 2002) So People How Played FF7 and Then watched Berserk, Would Think Berserk Copyed FF7. It Works Both Ways.

How Do You Know Thats Not a Person Who Picked Up FF11, Made A Fairy, and Named Him Puck.
you can't make fairys in FFXI

D

darkbane

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Try it came out in 1984, Berserk that is.

Wikipedia is not a good source, I admit, but they say that "The first episode of the manga (Berserk) was released in 1989".

DemonX said:

Miura has not been the first person to use large swords.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
kid_berserk said:
So People How Played FF7 and Then watched Berserk, Would Think Berserk Copyed FF7. It Works Both Ways.

Only there's no fucking logic in what you wrote.

darkbane said:
Wikipedia is not a good source, I admit, but they say that "The first episode of the manga (Berserk) was released in 1989".

Yeah, it's 1989, the prototype is from 1988. And Wikipedia's not that bad a source, it all depends on whom provided the information and how well it was done.

NeoBerserker said:
Miura has not been the first person to use large swords.

What do you call a large sword? Because I certainly can't find a sword as big and out of proportion as the Dragon Slayer anywhere before Berserk was made. Now if you've got that in stock, feel free to post it here, we'd all be very interested (or at least I would), assuming it's not some sort of half-assed claymore.

E

ELEKTROFUNK

Puck's character has been in involved in a bunch of storys  Including Shakespear's a midnight's summers dream, I prefear that Puck  to the one in Berserk. There was also a Puck in the Gargoyles cartoons right?

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
ELEKTROFUNK said:
Puck's character has been in involved in a bunch of storys  Including Shakespear's a midnight's summers dream, I prefear that Puck  to the one in Berserk. There was also a Puck in the Gargoyles cartoons right?
I think this Puck was probably based off the one in Shakespear's play right?

And the gargoyles I remember were, Lexington, Broadway, Goliath and Brooklyn. I'm missing the old fat one and the dog.

E

ELEKTROFUNK

Wah wah wah said:
I think this Puck was probably based off the one in Shakespear's play right?

And the gargoyles I remember were, Lexington, Broadway, Goliath and Brooklyn. I'm missing the old fat one and the dog.

The one in A midnight summers dream was more mischievous than silly (like berserks puck)

Puck certainly has been used in a variety of different things, but there's a pretty big difference between using the name Puck and creating a character named Puck that even looks like Puck from Berserk. Does it mean they're ripping off Berserk? Not necessarily. That style of representation is pretty popular in Japan, so it makes sense for it to appear in different places... It is a bit close for comfort though, and if the personalities are similar...

Face it guys, Puck is such a popular name for silly elf characters that if you want to draw and quarter everyone except Miura who uses it, your hit-list will be ten miles long... 8)

D

darkbane

Denial said:
Puck certainly has been used in a variety of different things, but there's a pretty big difference between using the name Puck and creating a character named Puck that even looks like Puck from Berserk. Does it mean they're ripping off Berserk? Not necessarily. That style of representation is pretty popular in Japan, so it makes sense for it to appear in different places... It is a bit close for comfort though, and if the personalities are similar...

Please tell me how this blue piece of clay with freky yellow eyes and a propeller looks (lacking wings, it seems, may I add), is in any way, shape, or form, similar to Puck from Berserk. The argument would be void even if it did look like our Puck, which it doesn't. At all.

DemonX said:
Berserk is not the only thing that I think final fantasy has imitated...
That image sums up my opinion nicely.

Is it just me or are the male lead character designs getting gayer and gayer. Plus how is it that 60% of all male main characters are blonde. Whats more we are getting more and more white haired villains.

I think the closest the FF series ever came to imitating Berserk was ff7. Cloud with a sword as tall as he is VS his old friend and mentor who has a long slender sword and white hair. Finally Sephiroth kills his past and sacrifices the world for being impure and becomes a god. Still that is really streching the story so I don't see it as a copy-cat game

My point is when I said "gayer and gayer" designs I really meant homosexual not some insult to the design artists.  The designs aren't bad they just aren't masculine enough.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Aazealh said:
What's wrong with homosexual heroes?

Theres nothing wrong specifically with homosexual heroes... but would you like berserk as much if Guts was a homosexual?

P.S. : Tidus does not strike me as a homosexual, Alucard.

Alucard said:
My point is when I said "gayer and gayer" designs I really meant homosexual not some insult to the design artists.
Oh, OK, then.
No, wait.
The designs aren't bad they just aren't masculine enough.
John Wayne is dead.
Alucard said:
Nothing when their supposed to be gay but when they are in love with a girl thats a different story.
I think I'll simply assume you're joking.
"Good one."

DemonX said:
Theres nothing wrong specifically with homosexual heroes... but would you like berserk as much if Guts was a homosexual?

Top Bottom