Who's happy in Berserk?!?!

OK, it's no secret that Berserk is a very dark Manga, but only recently did I realise that I can't think of one character in the story that has had close to a good life without sadness or dispair.

Seriously, who is happy or without dispair in the story? The only two I could think of are Isidro, Puck and Evarella. They aren't overly bliss but the closest thing to it that I see in the story whatsoever.... and they both happen to be the comic relief of the story so they can't have that suffering so many other characters do. As far as I know everyone else has a life with a reasonable amount of sadness and dispair.

Anyone else noticed this or am I missing something?

I`ve noticed this too. Miura has certainely done a wunderbar job with Berserk, but it is sometimes so dark that I almost get depressed(kinda like diablo 2, my dad bought it for me when I was 12 and the age-limit is 15. Andariel gave me nightmares for a week)

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
There's also Rickertt and Erica. Rickertt has lived a pretty painful life as a boy-mercenary, but now he's living a pretty peaceful life in the grand scheme of things. About the only real heartache that I think Erica has suffered is her grandfather's death and the event that occurred on the Sword of Hills. I think it would be sweet if they could both live happily ever after, but who knows what will happen to them when and if they get reintroduced into the story.

Well...

I honestly don't know. I guess Puck is the only one that hasn't been horrificzlly violated or on a quest to avenge a loved one. He's generally happy I guess.

Honestly I don't think it's as dark as everybody says it is.

well i agree with what you all have said so far,

puck may be the "happiest", but after all he has seen, hes not uber-happy puck,

the only thing i really dont agree with is:

Posted by: Sparnage  Posted on: Today at 12:34:00 PM 

The only two I could think of are Isidro, Puck and Evarella.

1 + 1 = 3   ???

oh well, ill retake my math class now  ;)

- c

ps. sparnage, smile  ;D

D

darkbane

Sparnage said:
... I can't think of one character in the story that has had close to a good life without sadness or dispair...

Happy, carefree characters without a worry to their name don't make for an interesting story (Unless they happen to be elves ;-)). Which is why we don't see much of Rickert lately.

Sparnage said:
I can't think of one character in the story that has had close to a good life without sadness or dispair.
Would you like to live a life without sadness or dispare... I know this falls more under sadness than dispare but what kind of life would it be to compleatly miss out on one of the feelings that makes us human...

Gaiseric The Great said:
Well...

Honestly I don't think it's as dark as everybody says it is.
Not as dark? If puck wasn`t there the manga would still be good, but it might be as depressing as that book written in the middle ages that made a lot of unhappy young men actually commit suicide.....

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
The only one I can think of that hasn't encountered Murder, Torture, or slaughter, would be Erica. Every one else I can think of has had to deal with this. The worst Erica has had was losing Godo through old age and illness.

Miyu said:
There's also Rickertt and Erica. Rickertt has lived a pretty painful life as a boy-mercenary, but now he's living a pretty peaceful life in the grand scheme of things. About the only real heartache that I think Erica has suffered is her grandfather's death and the event that occurred on the Sword of Hills. I think it would be sweet if they could both live happily ever after, but who knows what will happen to them when and if they get reintroduced into the story.

True, they currently seem to be at peace but I think they are both somewhat emotionally scarred. Even with the most recent things like Rickert finding out what really happened to the Hawks and Erica having her hopes of living as a family with Guts and Caska were crushed.... poor buggers didn't need to be in the story long to face depression once again.

C said:
well i agree with what you all have said so far,

puck may be the "happiest", but after all he has seen, hes not uber-happy puck,

the only thing i really dont agree with is:

1 + 1 = 3   ???

oh well, ill retake my math class now  ;)

- c

ps. sparnage, smile  ;D

Yeah, I neglected to consider Evarella until after I wrote the amount of people I realised who were somewhat carefree.

BTW if you want to get really specific then let me point out that Sparnage is with a capital "S"... but who really cares? :p

darkbane said:
Happy, carefree characters without a worry to their name don't make for an interesting story (Unless they happen to be elves ;-)). Which is why we don't see much of Rickert lately.

Certainly, however in stories of reasonable sizes one is bound to find at least few characters with not such a messed up disturbed backround. But it's Berserk so it's hardly a surprise to realise.

chibiPuck said:
Would you like to live a life without sadness or dispare... I know this falls more under sadness than dispare but what kind of life would it be to compleatly miss out on one of the feelings that makes us human...

Venusâ„¢ said:
In their own minds... who doesn't?

To some extent but this is comparing our reality to the Morbid Berserk world. 
I have enough trouble with stress and dispair about where my future is going, how to get money, how relationships are developing and the basic shit in life without the need to have things like important people in my life being annihilated and various other tragedies on that level.

Headless Death said:
The only one I can think of that hasn't encountered Murder, Torture, or slaughter, would be Erica. Every one else I can think of has had to deal with this. The worst Erica has had was losing Godo through old age and illness.

Don't forget she had to deal with being an orphan and the disappointment of losing Guts and Caska again as I earlier mentioned, it's alot for a child to handle.

Miyu

Sparnage said:
True, they currently seem to be at peace but I think they are both somewhat emotionally scarred. Even with the most recent things like Rickert finding out what really happened to the Hawks and Erica having her hopes of living as a family with Guts and Caska were crushed.... poor buggers didn't need to be in the story long to face depression once again.

Though in the grand scheme of things, they're doing pretty damn good. Although I do wonder how much Rickert really knows about what happened to the Hawks. Somehow I think he only knows that they all died, but not that Griffith sacrificed them all to become Femto, which is why they all died. If it's different by all means let me know, but I thought that Rickert got the sugar-coated version of the story

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Miyu said:
If it's different by all means let me know, but I thought that Rickert got the sugar-coated version of the story

Guts told him what Griffith did after the fight on the Hill of Swords.

Miyu

Aazealh said:
Guts told him what Griffith did after the fight on the Hill of Swords.

Thanks for the clarification!

In light of that, at least Rickert still has a chance of living a somewhat normal life with Erica out away from civilization. Deep down, I hope that Miura lets them led a nice peaceful life together. Can't a girl (Erica) have a happy life in Berserk world? :'(

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Sparnage said:
Don't forget she had to deal with being an orphan and the disappointment of losing Guts and Caska again as I earlier mentioned, it's alot for a child to handle.
To me this is nothing compared to the troubles and hardships everyone else went through. Sure she was an orphan, but she had Godo and later Ricket as family. Kids all the time have parents who leave on long trips. I find Guts and Caska's leaving no harder on Erica, than a child whose parents leave on long business trips.

D

darkbane

Miyu said:
Thanks for the clarification! 

In light of that, at least Rickert still has a chance of living a somewhat normal life with Erica out away from civilization.  Deep down, I hope that Miura lets them led a nice peaceful life together.  Can't a girl (Erica) have a happy life in Berserk world?   :'(

Ten bucks say we'll never hear from Rickert and Erica again. Which would be a good thing, meaning that they're fine now.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
darkbane said:
Ten bucks say we'll never hear from Rickert and Erica again. Which would be a good thing, meaning that they're fine now.
I disagree, I think it would be bad if the were never mentioned again. I believe that they will still be important to the story, even if they are not re-introduced for another ten volumes. ;)

Sparnage said:
The only three I could think of are Isidro, Puck and Evarella.

They may look happy, but deep down inside might be another story, Puck leaving his Elf land might be something tragic which make him to make into such decision or he was simply exiled for unknown reasons?

Isidro, too look like he had no trouble, but after reading through vol 24 (The part where he left his village, it makes me wonder what happen), I believe he also encounter some trouble that Muira have yet to explain to us...

Only Evarella i agree with you totally, Under the protection of the great witch Flora, what could possibly happened? ;D

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Smith said:
Only Evarella i agree with you totally, Under the protection of the great witch Flora, what could possibly happened?  ;D
I'm sure Evarella was close with flora too.  I must have been hard for her also when Flora died, but it would seem that she did not go into a stage of grievance comparable to shierke.

D

darkbane

Smith said:
They may look happy, but deep down inside might be another story, Puck leaving his Elf land might be something tragic which make him to make into such decision or he was simply exiled for unknown reasons?
Didn't he say that he got bored? I saw no reason to doubt that statement so far, tho I'd love to be wrong.

It will be fun to see how Isidro will manage in a place with a multitude of elves, seeing how he has almost gone nuts with only two of them near him. I quote: Elf hell. :)

D

darkbane

Smith said:
Yep, but then it might just be an excuse... He also didnt tell Guts or anyone about the existence of King Hanafubuku...

Looked more like he didn't know about it, lol. He seems a bit carefree. Well, personally I would also like for the Puck-the-Elf-Prince theory to come true, but somehow I doubt it.

Top Bottom