Death to... BitTorrent!?

Hollywood movie studios on Tuesday launched new legal action against operators of sites that help connect people to movies on two major peer-to-peer filesharing networks.
http://www.myotaku.com/users/kidotaku/I Posted the whole story on my site(i post alot of this crap on my site). If your to lazy like me to go on it it says
Hollywood movie studios on Tuesday launched new legal action against operators of sites that help connect people to movies on two major peer-to-peer filesharing networks.

In the United States, the Motion Picture Association of America, the main lobbying arm of American film studios, filed civil lawsuits against operators of BitTorrent tracker sites, which point to locations where downloadable files can be found. In Europe, legal action in partnership with international law enforcement are expected against parties responsible for the hosting of servers in the eDonkey network.
Both BitTorrent and eDonkey allow millions to share copies of movies, music, software and games. Because of its efficiency in helping users handle very large files -- such as digital copies of feature-length films -- BitTorrent has attracted the enmity of Hollywood.

The MPAA has filed previous suits against individual downloaders. Its actions come just days after the Supreme Court agreed to take up the landmark MGM v. Grokster filesharing case.

In August, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that peer-to-peer companies cannot be held responsible for intellectual property infringement that may take place on their networks, because the technologies can be also used for legitimate, non-infringing purposes.

After urgent requests from the MPAA, the Recording Industry Association of America and a class of 27,0000 songwriters and musicians, the high court agreed last week to decide the case on appeal.

For now, P2P services such as Grokster, BitTorrent and eDonkey are not illegal. But so-called "indexing servers" that help users download copyrighted content are. In its original architecture, the Napster network used a centralized database to keep track of which file sharer had which file. Other decentralized nets such as Grokster do not have a central repository -- and this distinction became a key reason why the courts banned Napster while permitting Grokster and Streamcast to continue.

The BitTorrent tracker sites do not hold content themselves, but serve as a dynamically generated library of urls that show users where portions of files are located within the constellation of participating nodes. They help to connect users who want a file with other users who have that file on their hard drive.

Regardless of whether the tracker sites host content or not, people close to the matter say the MPAA is likely to argue that the people who host such sites are aware that the servers make acts of copyright infringement possible, and should therefore be held liable.

While this new round of legal attack would represent the first time the MPAA has attempted to sue parties responsible for hosting trackers, both BitTorrent and eDonkey have been in the entertainment trade group's sights for some time. As the popularity of both services boomed in recent months, the MPAA has escalated its attempts to compel ISPs to take action against action within their domain.

MPAA representatives declined to comment in advance of Tuesday's press conference

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Re: Death to... BitTorrent!!??!?!?

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,66034,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2
^
// \\
||
Original News Story in it's complete glory. ;)

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.

Headless Death said:
http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,66034,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2
                               ^
                             //  \\
                               ||
                   Original News Story in it's complete glory. ;)

Just when you thought those crooked hollywood anal fucks had enough money to swim in.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

They kinda have a point though, huh?

I've never understood why us Internet thieves, myself included (included in the stealing, not the whining), resent those with which we are stealing from when they understandably get upset with our shenanigans. Since when did the Internet give everyone the divine right to get those products, which in some cases cost hundreds of millions to produce, for free? Techincally, they're not the bad guys; they're selling they're property they've invested much captial in to develop and create; then you steal it... and get upset that they don't like it? This delusion has to stop; I'm not saying don't do it, but do so quietly like a good thief, and spare me the outrage when someone brings it to your attention (perhaps with a summons) that you're, in fact, the criminal here.

Enjoy it while it lasts, and shut-up about it. =)

D

darkbane

You can't kill BitTorrent :-) They'll just move the "indexing sites" to an offshore server in a country with no Bernes convention. mIRC is just a client, but you can't kill any of the global irc networks either, or so I believe. Like Griffith said, the bad guys in these cases are people like us, because we are stealing content without license.

DemonX said:
Looks like the hawks have a problem now, dont they?
Like most other groups in that "scene" they can just keep hosting files off irc or ftp, no big deal really. SC got C&D a while back for half their scanlations but they're still around, right? (And offering direct downloads no less...)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

"Griffith No More!" said:
Techincally, they're not the bad guys;

I agree with the rest, but these guys are still bad, for a lot of other reasons, including shitty movies and overpriced DVDs. ;)

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.

Aazealh said:
I agree with the rest, but these guys are still bad, for a lot of other reasons, including shitty movies and overpriced DVDs. ;)

Yes, a greater good is at work here. I'm such a fucking hypocrite.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
So driving the movie business into the ground through piracy will help for a better tomorrow? I don't think that's the way the cinematic revolution will be led...

And anyone who hides behind that quote as their defense for downloading movies/music is lying to themselves. "IM STEALING FOR A GOOD CAUSE. LIKE ROBIN HOOD!"

P

paradise_lost

Walter said:
So driving the movie business into the ground through piracy will help for a better tomorrow? I don't think that's the way the cinematic revolution will be led...

And anyone who hides behind that quote as their defense for downloading movies/music is lying to themselves. "IM STEALING FOR A GOOD CAUSE. LIKE ROBIN HOOD!"

I totally agree with u ... nothing 'll help against piracy, 'cause in the moment u find something usefull or a right way to keep the problem, the problem itself changes dimesion and changes position and so u have to do all from the beginning ...

:-X

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:

Ok, let me sum it up, with some added details:

"I agree with the rest of what you said in your post about kids whining because people try to prevent them from leeching illegal stuff off the Internet."

It includes this part of the thread:

They kinda have a point though, huh?

I've never understood why us Internet thieves, myself included (included in the stealing, not the whining), resent those with which we are stealing from when they understandably get upset with our shenanigans. Since when did the Internet give everyone the divine right to get those products, which in some cases cost hundreds of millions to produce, for free? They're selling they're property they've invested much captial in to develop and create; then you steal it... and get upset that they don't like it? This delusion has to stop; I'm not saying don't do it, but do so quietly like a good thief, and spare me the outrage when someone brings it to your attention (perhaps with a summons) that you're, in fact, the criminal here.

Enjoy it while it lasts, and shut-up about it. =)

Now, here's the "chit-chatting we're in Shootin' the Breeze" comment:

"These rich producers and executives from Hollywood are still bad guys anyway, for a lot of other reasons, including selling people shitty movies and overpriced DVDs (something that costs $1 to make is sold $25 and the artist gets $0.50 off it), not letting them the choice of getting better movies, not allowing people who would like to do better movies to try, not taking any risk while choosing what they should produce, even though they've got nothing to fear anyway. ;) (notice the good humored smiley)"

It refers to this:

Techincally, they're not the bad guys;

Btw, nice one about "driving the movie business into the ground", man, I'm holding my breath for Vivendi Universal to go broke, they won't see next spring for sure.

My message is lost.

http://aazealh.nerim.net//Divers/Ramzi.wmv

D

darkbane

My message is lost in misguided anti-consumerism.

Anti-consumerism is good (on the wallet). Corporations are evil anyway (we are the bad guys when we steal, but business is inherently evil). Case in point: In my cost accounting class today, we were discussing how to offer consumers rebates and discounts (by discounts i mean Skonto, which is offered for paying the bill early). It boils down to increasing the price beforehand. (Maybe this is obvious to some, but I've never considered it like that). Now if we think about the fact that not everyone gets the rebate and not everyone will take advantage of paying early to get the discount, then we're looking at something like 15% increased profit margin on most items, in addition to the 10% expected beforehand (and that is _after_ including overhead for both sales and operations, not to mention other, more "normal" costs). Yeah, so it's supposed to cover the risk of running a business, but are we supposed to be happy about that? Conclusion: corporations are bloodsuckers ^_^

Griffith

I'll explain myself, my message is lost in a lot of talk that doesn't really relate to the specific issue I was addressing.

I had no idea people felt such genuine outrage at companies that produce such essential day-to-day items such as CDs, DVDs, computer games, & plastic dildos and then hike up the price on the poor, mistreated consumers that need those DVDs to live. Oh, the humanity. Had I known, I wouldn't have used the provocative phrase "technically, they're not the bad guys" to relatively describe why people that invest in the production and sale of luxury items are not wronging those that steal said luxury items when they try to protect their product.

BTW, darkbane, did you know that you're one of our best new posters here? ;D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I'll explain myself, my message is lost in a lot of talk that doesn't really relate to the specific issue I was addressing.

We're in Shootin' the Breeze, what did you expect? As for "your" message, it's mind-blowing yeah, how many hours did it take you to come up with it?

I had no idea people felt such genuine outrage at companies that produce such essential day-to-day items such as CDs, DVDs, computer games, & plastic dildos and then hike up the price on the poor, mistreated consumers that need those DVDs to live. Oh, the humanity.

Could be cheaper yeah, you might want to learn the difference between "genuine outrage" and "bored reaction" though. I'm saying that you're being haughty, petty, and self-sufficient over a topic that's close to no interest to the one you're replying to.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
We're in Shootin' the Breeze, what did you expect? As for "your" message, it's mind-blowing yeah, how many hours did it take you to come up with it?

Good one.

Aazealh said:
Could be cheaper yeah, you might want to learn the difference between "genuine outrage" and "bored reaction" though. I'm saying that you're being haughty, petty, and self-sufficient over a topic that's close to no interest to the one you're replying to.

You sure seem involved for someone who doesn't care and is reacting out of boredom, so my mistake is understanable. I don't know when this became a personal issue for you, but you're free to stop responding if you're above it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

You sure seem involved for someone who doesn't care and is reacting out of boredom, so my mistake is understanable. I don't know when this became a personal issue for you, but you're free to stop responding if you're above it.

A personal issue? Excuse me but it looks more of a personal issue to you. ::)

I just felt like replying since you all quoted my post, as if it was some kind of protest or anything... I merely used some part of your post to comment on something else, I thought it was clear enough, and I also thought you'd know me enough by now to remember where my positions standed on that matter (and I'll indeed stop responding now).

Griffith

Aazealh said:
A personal issue? Excuse me but it looks more of a personal issue to you. ::)

I just felt like replying since you all quoted my post, as if it was some kind of protest or anything... I barely used some part of your post to comment on something else, I thought it was clear enough, and I also thought you'd know me enough by now to remember where my positions standed on that matter (and I'll indeed stop responding now).

I was just pointing out that there's no moral high ground to stealing on the Internet.

Then I was engaging in debate, any debate, even if it didn't relate to what I said, I could still argue against it for the hell of it. I don't think any points on SK.net mean much to anyone, but we're all here, aren't we? I said you seemed to be taking it personally because you read personal venom in my responses; even if that's true to some degree, I only mean to be playful and spurn things on. Too well it seems.

I also like word games and long walks on the beach. Now lets kiss and make up before the inmates realize even we can't stand each other. :-*

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight

I was just pointing out that there's no moral high ground to stealing on the Internet.

Well, no, but honestly the stuff these guys want to do does destroy a lot of the fun for normal consumers, too, and I hate that.

Like this jerk. http://www.engadget.com/entry/8536544887710643

I have trouble respecting even the respectful parts of their argument, because the industry has ALWAYS freaked out when new technology comes along instead of making good use of it. I can't respect a group that threw a complete spaz when consumer VCRs came out.

Myself, I 'steal' on a level comparable to taping songs off the radio, and I'm sorry, I *really* can't accept that I should feel bad for taping songs off the radio.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Lithrael said:
Well, no, but honestly the stuff these guys want to do does destroy a lot of the fun for normal consumers, too, and I hate that.

If I had to voice a bothering side-effect of the anti-piracy stuff, it would be the CDs that can't play on normal Hi-Fi CD players, even high quality ones, because of all the copy protections. There were quite a lot of them here, and the companies involved got sued and of course lost.

I know I said I wouldn't reply but I'm all powerful here so the hell with it. And while I'm at it, you know I love you too Griff, in a homosexually designed kind of way, of course. :-*

I have downloaded a few things, but somehow, I felt really bad about it, so I don`t download things anymore(must have been my conscience, strange, I didn`t know I had one) ;D

nomad

"Bring the light of day"

I also like word games and long walks on the beach. Now lets kiss and make up before the inmates realize even we can't stand each other. :-*

GROUP HUG!!!!! aaaaaaawwwww...
*ahem* sorry dont know where that came from.
:-\

D

darkbane

BTW, darkbane, did you know that you're one of our best new posters here? ;D
Should I take this as a compliment?  :)

I had no idea people felt such genuine outrage at companies that produce such essential day-to-day items such as CDs, DVDs, computer games, & plastic dildos and then hike up the price on the poor, mistreated consumers that need those DVDs to live.
Lol. Well, on the other hand I suppose for some people it is essential. Like I couldn't live without two Volumes of berserk each year  ;). Relevant however is, that antagonizing customers (case in point: RIAA), releasing overprized, low-quality goods, (in retrospect, this feels like I'm repeating what Aazealh said in his first post), etc., can easily lead to a decline in public opinion. As far as the "scene" is concerned, pirates are a different crop. I agree with you that these activities should be done quietly, ala "take all you can while you can, share if you can, and be happy", the truth probably is a mix of resentment at the (truthfully faulty) corporate establishment and a kind of foolish hacker pride (encryption schemes are made to be broken, after all).

If we try hard we can probably relate this to the open source phenomenon and the anti-Microsoft movement (now _there_ is an empire of evil  ;D), or to the techonolgy scene in general - this thread started with an article from Wired after all, and I've noticed over the last couple of years that Wired publishes a lot of slightly biased resentment articles about RIAA and MPAA. So it comes down to nerds vs suits in the end after all.  8)

Top Bottom