Global warming: should we do/be-doing more on not?

D

darkbane

More of a question of what can be done. I think the average person can't do anything, really. Saving tap water may make you feel good, by thinking that if everyone does it then it would help, but that's a foolish train of thought, right? Greenpeace does more harm than good, too.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The Earth will be just fine, in any case. So I say, go outside, bust out a bottle of hairspry, and sock it to the ozone, baby! ;)

Think of it this way, the sooner we all die, the sooner the planet can start recovering. =)

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
"Griffith No More!" said:
The Earth will be just fine, in any case. So I say, go outside, bust out a bottle of hairspry, and sock it to the ozone, baby! ;)

Think of it this way, the sooner we all die, the sooner the planet can start recovering. =)
YOU WANT TO ROLL OVER AND DIE WITHOUT ACCOMPLISHING ANYTHING!?

Not me, we must fight the fear within as we press on to the future now! Follow the voice within your soul!

Griffith, spreading your wings is just the start, all that you must do is free your heart.

E

ELEKTROFUNK

Cleaner energy efficient technology would be the only thing to prevent the future from a self achieved ice age, let the US put more money in to research, then the economical growth of the nation in the long run will sky rocket and we will help the environment . Anyhow even if we do not change our life style I doubt that we can provoke and ice age anytime soon even if we try really hard.

D

darkbane

ELEKTROFUNK said:
Cleaner energy efficient technology would be the only thing to prevent the future from a self achieved ice age, let the US put more money in to research, then the economical growth of the nation in the long run will sky rocket and we will help the environment . Anyhow even if we do not change our life style I doubt that we can provoke and ice age anytime soon even if we try really hard.

Most of that cash goes into military research anyway, USA or elsewhere. I really can't fathom why we have to be so miticulous about finding new ways of blowing up each other, all in the name of national security. (This is a separate argument though)

As for the ice age, I think I remember my physics teach saying something to the effect that we already might be in one. Also, at least here in Vienna, we've had progressively colder winters for the last ten years or so. The way I see it, we have oil to last for another 100 years, with oil we'll never run out of heat, so even if an ice age is happening, we're unlikely to freeze to death. As for the long run, I'll be dead in 100 years. (Hell, I'll probably die within the next 50 years, better sooner than later, too ;D) So, basically, there is no reason to care about what happens after that, right? Righteous statements like "thinking about our kids' future" do nothing for me.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
So when did thsi become "OMFG Its the U.S.'s fault for not stopping Global Warming.... Last time I check there were some other countries out there other then the U.S. but if the U.S has it's way, then not much longer! hohoho! ;D

P.S. See that bold stuff in my sentance, thats called sarcasm, please dont be gay and take it seriously.

D

darkbane

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
So when did thsi become "OMFG Its the U.S.'s fault for not stopping Global Warming.... Last time I check there were some other countries out there other then the U.S. but if the U.S has it's way, then not much longer! hohoho!  ;D

P.S. See that bold stuff in my sentance, thats called sarcasm, please dont be gay and take it seriously.

Lol. With the whole Kyoto Protocol ratification failure thing the USA basically opened themselves up wide for criticism. They are among the top polluters tho, together with Europe, Russia, and the rest of the MDCs.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Now just yesterday I was looking at a "science" trasmission on the telly. I believe that was a british company that produced the show. There they were saying that the danger is that the earth will freeze instead because of the cooling of the Gulf Stream. Before they do anything they should come to an agreement about what is gonna really happen :p ;D

D

darkbane

according to globalwarming.org, (sire reputation is unknown to me), the effect of global warming would not have any signifficant impact on us. (but the implications of the kyoto protocol would have a signifficant negative economic impact, quote "potentially outweighing the negative impacts of even the most apocalyptic warming scenario" endquote)

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
I think everyone worrying, is just a little paranoid. Just like "The Killer Bees" and "The Rampage of the Three Legged Frogs" or "the West Nile Virus".

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Headless Death said:
"the West Nile Virus"
just because it's not on the 1st page on the newspaper or on the latest in news, does not mean that the problem does not exist anymore. The danger is still there, just like Global Warming, but you are comparing 2 opposite things here.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
I think its all bullshit. The earth has been around for millions if not billions of years, and people think we are a threat? People are just so self centered and they fear that their way of life might change or die out because the temperature is going to rise a couple degrees. Besides, I think people don't give a shit about the earth, just their own, enclosed, habitat.

Besides, isn't this shit natural anyways? Doesn't the earth warm and cool on its own, without our interference?

But to keep this mood joyful, I have devised a plan to stop the global warming problem. Its called Project Cold.

We will build 10 neutron bombs, and put them in 10 different space ships. Then we take them all and position them all around the sun like so.

neutronbomb4kv.png

Then when there all in place... BOOM! No sun, no heat! Genius plan, huh?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
DemonX said:
I think its all bullshit. The earth has been around for millions if not billions of years, and people think we are a threat? People are just so self centered and they fear that their way of life might change or die out because the temperature is going to rise a couple degrees. Besides, I think people don't give a shit about the earth, just their own, enclosed, habitat.

Besides, isn't this shit natural anyways? Doesn't the earth warm and cool on its own, without our interference?

But to keep this mood joyful, I have devised a plan to stop the global warming problem. Its called Project Cold.

We will build 10 neutron bombs, and put them in 10 different space ships. Then we take them all and position them all around the sun like so.

neutronbomb4kv.png

Then when there all in place... BOOM! No sun, no heat! Genius plan, huh?

I hope god speed on your trip! And the monkey presses the swtich... ;D

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Nomad said:
just because it's not on the 1st page on the newspaper or on the latest in news, does not mean that the problem does not exist anymore. The danger is still there, just like Global Warming, but you are comparing 2 opposite things here.
All I am describing is the paranoia is the same. I'm not saying the problems do not exist, but instead the problems tend to be quickly blown out of proportion.

D

darkbane

DemonX: your cool plan will fail. The nuclear reactions taking place in the sun constantly (something like four megatons are converted into energy and released each second) will make your attempt look like a match next to a napalmed city. Not to mention that a neutron bomb by nature is meant to irradiate people at close range, and would have little structural impact otherwise (it would on buildings, but this is the Sun we're talking about here).

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
darkbane said:
DemonX: your cool plan will fail. The nuclear reactions taking place in the sun constantly (something like four megatons are converted into energy and released each second) will make your attempt look like a match next to a napalmed city. Not to mention that a neutron bomb by nature is meant to irradiate people at close range, and would have little structural impact otherwise (it would on buildings, but this is the Sun we're talking about here).

You couldn't tell it was a joke?

D

darkbane

DemonX said:
You couldn't tell it was a joke?
Of course, but that's beside the point  ;D[

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
No what we need here is 1.21gigawatts, a flux capacitor, and a hip young kid to go back in time. Do I have any volunteers?
I'd rather go forward. We already know, more or less, how fucked up mankind's past is. But it's hard to imagine just how much we are gonna screw up in the future. 8)

Meh... the human being is a complex being that will keep evolving... soon well find a cure for cancer and no need for the ozone layer will affect you...

and as for a Neo-Ice Age... I dont think that crap that happened in The Day After Tomorrow will actually happen. Cmn who are you trying to kid? A GIANT Hurricane that freezes everything it touches? LOL.

The human race has to come to an end so it can start again anyhow. and in OUR lifetime that wont be happening. Give it at least 2-3K years from now.

So just worry about yourself... use sunblock daily and dont inhale that keyboard cleaner.

*drinks sake*

Top Bottom