Tsunami in SW Asia

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I have heard reports that at a UN meeting that someone from the EU had called the U.S. stingy for the amount of money being sent... from a different source I had heard that the EU combined did not even send the same amount that the U.S. had sent.

I don't believe that last staement is true. I have a list here of countries and the amount of aid their governments (i.e. excluding private donations and charities) have pledged so far:

UK: £15m
USA: £18.2m
EU: £21.3m
Japan: £15.5m
Australia: £14m
Saudi Arabia: £5.2m
Spain: £35.5m
Sweden: £416,000
France: £10.6m
Taiwan: £2.7m
China: £1.4m

This is just a partial list BTW.

Source: The Independant Newspaper (UK)

Makes for interesting reading. Firstly, it proves that the accusation that the USA has given more than the EU is false, because individual EU countries made their own donations. Not that I think the USA is being particularly stingy, I think ALL of the worlds rich countries could be doing a hell of a lot more. The only reason that the USA gets flak is because its cool to bash them at the moment.

I also think it's interesting that little Taiwan has so far pledged more than China - I wonder how that'll go down in Beijing  ;)

Also, kudos to the Spaniards!

We recieved this email at work today. I thought it would be good to post it up too, it might be general info for people who call us here but its good to just forward this info to other people outside the facility.

OFFERS FOR DONATIONS TO TSUNAMI VICTIMS

You may receive calls from the general public asking how they may donate their time, money, resources or services toward helping the victims of the South Asia Earthquake and Tsunami.

If the caller has access to the internet:

Complete information about this disaster and how to help can be found at;

The Center for International Disaster Information www.cidi.org which has guidelines for making contributions.
The American Council for Voluntary International Action www.interaction.org / Earthquake and Tsunamis in South Asia
This website has a list of agencies applicants may consider.
If the caller does not have access to the internet:

Several volunteer agencies that usually provide assistance during national disasters are coordinating assistance for the tsunami victims. We should not give personal recommendations, however you may direct the caller to the agency of their choice (such as Red Cross, Salvation Army, International Aid, etc). They would need to check their local directory for social services phone numbers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
waqas said:
I don't believe that last staement is true. I have a list here of countries and the amount of aid their governments (i.e. excluding private donations and charities) have pledged so far:

This is just a partial list BTW.

Yeah, I'm not sure your source is up-to-date dude, from what I checked, Spain is up to approximatively $90M now, and Sweden $75M. Not gonna list all countries, but it all evolves quite quickly.

waqas said:
Makes for interesting reading. Firstly, it proves that the accusation that the USA has given more than the EU is false, because individual EU countries made their own donations.

It's not really that important anyway, especially since for now it's all about pledges and promises.

waqas said:
Not that I think the USA is being particularly stingy, I think ALL of the worlds rich countries could be doing a hell of a lot more. The only reason that the USA gets flak is because its cool to bash them at the moment.

Yup, read what I said about it. It's just some mediatic crap, I bet a guy from the U.N. was pissed at G.W. Bush for not interrupting his vacations while he himself had to work a sunday, and in 2 days it's a scandal...

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
Aazealh said:
Yeah, I'm not sure your source is up-to-date dude, from what I checked, Spain is up to approximatively $90M now, and Sweden $75M. Not gonna list all countries, but it all evolves quite quickly.

Yeah, I got this from my morning newspaper less than 12 hours ago, but at the speed at which this crisis has been developing I guess I shouldn't be surprised it's already out of date...

P

paradise_lost

paradise_lost said:
The right count could be between 205.000 and 315.000 ... what's bad ...

:'(

Actually we r at about 160.000 confirmed ... we'll see if the prevision 'll be right ...

:-\

paradise_lost said:
Actually we r at about 160.000 confirmed ... we'll see if the prevision 'll be right ...

:-\

For the sake of the survivors at this point I hope you are wrong man. Seriously Its been a lot of deaths and its not right to go around stating how many deaths you think there are gonna be, like if it was a bet for some sports game.

Like my mom always told me "El verbo crea" meaning that simple words or verbs create actions or situations. Just by saying something it might and possibly will happen. I learned a long time ago not to wish harm to anyone, even as a joke. And even if you just want to sound like a mathematical genious by throwing random numbers, I dont think its right to do it while peoples lives are at stake.

P

paradise_lost

Kyoke said:
For the sake of the survivors at this point I hope you are wrong man. Seriously Its been a lot of deaths and its not right to go around stating how many deaths you think there are gonna be like if it was a bet for some sports game.

Like my mom always told me "El verbo crea" meaning that simple words or verbs create actions or situations. Just by saying something it might and possibly will happen. I learned a long time ago not to wish harm to anyone, even as a joke. And I hope that even if you just want to sound like a mathematical genious by throwing random numbers, I dont think its right to do it while peoples lives are at stake.

Kyoke, I was only telling all u my thoughts, and about the fact that I read that there'll be at the end about between 205.000 and 315.000 deads for this tragedy, but evidently u don't like to be informed about something like this ... I have not to remind to u that in the threat before this one u put in these bad days (for the tsunami situation) a link with a counter to see when we'll be dead ... u have a very bad humor guy in these sad days ...

U don't seem to me the one be able to write what u wrote before ... ::)

paradise_lost said:
evidently u don't like to be informed about something like this ... I have not to remind to u that in the threat before this one u put in these bad days (for the tsunami situation) a link with a counter to see when we'll be dead ... u have a very bad humor guy in these sad days ...

U don't seem to me the one be able to write what u wrote before ...  ::)
Will you just shut up?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Kyoke said:
Like my mom always told me "El verbo crea" meaning that simple words or verbs create actions or situations. Just by saying something it might and possibly will happen.

Yeah, within your personal circles.  Saying/telling someone you'll/they'll fail an exam and then you/they do. Because dwelling on ideas/knowing someone's sentiments makes an impact.  

The only effect of speculating on a natural disaster, is to inspire a few more people to help with the relief cause they have an idea of how bad it will probably get.

Damn these superstitious times.  Seems like everyone has some piece of ancient wisdom to share... Over cutting edge computer networks.

P

paradise_lost

Olivier Hague said:
Will you just shut up?

Holly, it's possibile that each thing I write u have to arrive and say: "retard, shut up, idiot, stupid, your parents were not good ones, and bla bla bla"? It's possibile something like this? R u doing this to let me bann? U'll not need it, I'll go out on my own if people here don't want me. But if people here want me, please, shut up u and let me talk about things ok? Thanks ...

::)

paradise_lost said:
Holly, it's possibile that each thing I write u have to arrive and say: "retard, shut up, idiot, stupid, your parents were not good ones, and bla bla bla"? It's possibile something like this?
About as possible as you not posting stupid and inappropriate comments.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Interesting to note than India refused any help, stating they could overcome the problems by themselves.
I believe the reason was because 1 of the countries willing to send help was jewish... I can't remember where I read it but I do remember that part. I could be mistaken though. :p

Lithrael said:
Yeah, within your personal circles.  Saying/telling someone you'll/they'll fail an exam and then you/they do. Because dwelling on ideas/knowing someone's sentiments makes an impact.  
For me, its a little bit more than that, yes I am superstitious, but when Ive had a few things Ive said jokingly happen to me I stop thinking it might be coincidence.

The only effect of speculating on a natural disaster, is to inspire a few more people to help with the relief cause they have an idea of how bad it will probably get.

Isnt it better to talk to people about it and give awareness of whats happening and use yourself as an example (like nomad and his wife did) to inspire more people to help, than just going around "Oh, by tomorrow the deaths will be twicefold, you should help!" mainly if someone isnt aware or doesnt care theyll just say "So, what?" or "Fuck it!"

Damn these superstitious times.  Seems like everyone has some piece of ancient wisdom to share... Over cutting edge computer networks.

LOL again another saying my mom always said:
"El que no escucha consejo, no llega a viejo" He who doesnt listen to advise, wont reach old age.
;D

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Yeah, well, here in sweden they're going to have a fundraiser show on saturday. It's being sent in all swedish radio and tv channels, even the private and competing ones.

First time that has ever happened.

Also, new years day is the national sorrow day, and all the new years even fireworks have been cancelled and the money will be used for disaster relief instead.

We might be looking at 4000 dead here... it's only a fraction, but it's pretty much for a country of 9 million people who's not affected directly.

As comparing it to 9/11... how is that even possible? Except in regards to national trauma.

Funny thing, our own goverment were more shocked and outspoken over that event than they are over this one. 'we are all americans today' they said...

And... no way in hell that Burma only has 90 dead. Just look on the maps. The military dictatorship just refuses to admit it...

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Kyoke said:
When Ive had a few things Ive said jokingly happen to me I stop thinking it might be coincidence.

And some people think they might make streetlights go out cause they've noticed lights sometimes go out when they walk by.  People notice things that happen to them, no matter how likely the events really are.

Yeah, well, here in sweden they're going to have a fundraiser show on saturday. It's being sent in all swedish radio and tv channels, even the private and competing ones.

First time that has ever happened.

Wow. That's awesome. They'll be able to help so many people.

[quote author=Fishbomb]
As comparing it to 9/11... how is that even possible? Except in regards to national trauma.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know what Saiyajin meant there. It wasn't the sort of disaster that needs money thrown at it, but rather, support, which was what we got.

There has been a little US bashing over this, but I think it was mainly over how long it took Bush to make any kind of statement of support, which just sort of made us look stupid. And then the Bush admin got all pissy because Clinton stole the limelight by offering some kind words before Bush got around to it. The politics here are filling up the air with so much stupid you could cut it with a knife right now.

Top Bottom