What is becoming of the World today?

There was this guy who once predicted that after Y2K, disasters will occur one after another and some of it will be so catastrophic that it will change our lives forever....

He wasnt completely wrong, first we got the millennium bug, followed by 911, SARS outbreak, Bird flu, Heat wave in Europe and now this tsunami...

If i am not wrong, just 3 months ago an entire island was submerged by flood with 26000 lives unaccounted for... But this i was not very sure

What is the world becoming today? The next time we know it may be like Armageddon, an comet that threaten to wipe out our very existence...

P

paradise_lost

Smith said:
There was this guy who once predicted that after Y2K, disasters will occur one after another and some of it will be so catastrophic that it will change our lives forever....

He wasnt completely wrong, first we got the millennium bug, followed by 911, SARS outbreak, Bird flu, Heat wave in Europe and now this tsunami...

If i am not wrong, just 3 months ago an entire island was submerged by flood with 26000 lives unaccounted for... But this i was not very sure

What is the world becoming today? The next time we know it may be like Armageddon, an comet that threaten to wipe out our very existence...

Maybe it's coming the Armageddon ... who'll know ...

I'm not very religious, but there r many signs about something that it's happening ... uhmmm ...

:-\

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Take a look at history, disasters have always been happening, some just as catastrophic; it's not a new thing.

kimchan said:
Take a look at history, disasters have always been happening, some just as catastrophic; it's not a new thing.

Well but not something that change our lives forever... 911 for eg.

Its like one after another... continuous, like some sort of chain reaction...

Chinese got this saying: Before the 1st wave subsides, the next wave comes

Aazealh said:

Maybe i am getting paranoid... :p

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Its like one after another... continuous, like some sort of chain reaction...

Smith... In 1991, a cyclone struck Bangladesh and killed 138.000 people, in 1992, some Hurricane struck the USA and did lots of damage. Such things aren't new, as Kimchan told you, and they'll probably never stop. People tend to forget about them because it didn't have as much symbolic meaning as let's say 9/11.

The USA have had a high seismic risk since God knows when, and scientists have been saying Los Angeles would disappear in a few hours someday since like 25 years... It will happen, we just don't know when. 10 months, 10 years, 100 years, what matters is that in the end, there's no way around it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
And no offense, but all these "disasters" don't amount to shit; with 6 billion people and growing on this planet, a few 100,000 here and there doesn't mean much if you're talking about global threats to the human population. It only bothers us because individually we don't like dying. =)

P

paradise_lost

"Griffith No More!" said:
And no offense, but all these "disasters" don't amount to shit; with 6 billion people and growing on this planet, a few 100,000 here and there doesn't mean much if you're talking about global threats to the human population. It only bothers us because individually we don't like dying. =)

U r right "Griffith No More" ... it's very hard what u said, but it's at the end true ...

:-\

Aazealh said:
The USA have had a high seismic risk since God knows when, and scientists have been saying Los Angeles would disappear in a few hours someday since like 25 years... It will happen, we just don't know when. 10 months, 10 years, 100 years, what matters is that in the end, there's no way around it.

omg that better not happen that means the L.A. Dodgers would disappear too oh and me. :p

You people don't even know what disaster is (or maybe you do?) Our planet has seen alot more disasters than these. Humans have not seen them but things have happened such as; Mega tsunami's (which is way bigger than the tsunami that hit Thailand, it would be taller than the empire state building), Super Volcanic eruptions (which could wipe out states), and a few more popular ones such as comets, the ice age, and Justin Timberlake.

Maybe the Earth is trying to wipe put these humans that have populated far beyound what some have imagined (Anyone ever seen "Read or Die"?)

But dont worry no matter what (except for something that would literally destroy Earth and only have 8 planets) Earth always survives (i think). Earth is actually like an organsim itself it fights to protect itself. Remember the ice age which could be caused again by nuclear winter? Earth recovered.

NeoBerserker said:
Justin Timberlake.

::)

Oh well i bet i cant argue with you guys, natural disaster like this had happen before, this i must admit... If Krakatoa were to exploded today instead of a century before, the death toll will be 10 times higher....

Destruction this scale is really rare, not say never had or will happen... maybe one in hundred years? Yet how can it be so concidence to happen continuously... This is wat brought me to my question...

Griffith

NeoBerserker said:
But dont worry no matter what (except for something that would literally destroy Earth and only have 8 planets) Earth always survives (i think). Earth is actually like an organsim itself it fights to protect itself. Remember the ice age which could be caused again by nuclear winter? Earth recovered.

Exactly why all the Eco nuts are out of their minds. It's egotistical to think we can destroy the Earth, hell, I don't even believe in pollution. Let the tsunami serve as a reminder that we ain't got shit on mother nature; we think we're such badass world-destroyers, but she gets some indigestion and 200,000 people die like it's nothing. So don't feel so bad about not using recycled toilet paper made hand wipes.

Glad I got that short rant out of my system. =)

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Exactly why all the Eco nuts are out of their minds. It's egotistical to think we can destroy the Earth, hell, I don't even believe in pollution.

Uh...huh. Extremes in either direction are idiots as far as I can see. The planet's tough as nails, we need to be careful of it for our continued comfort and to not destroy a bunch of stuff that's cool to look at, not cause we're going to 'ruin' it. But I don't see how the hell you can not believe in pollution. Ridley turtles are covered with skin cancer from what, shrimp allergies? Frogs have six legs and no eyes cause their mom did too much frog crack?

Griffith

Lithrael said:
Uh...huh.  Extremes in either direction are idiots as far as I can see.

I personally find that more often it's the in-between of things that are maddeningly idiotic in their contradictions.

Lithrael said:
The planet's tough as nails, we need to be careful of it for our continued comfort and to not destroy a bunch of stuff that's cool to look at, not cause we're going to 'ruinit.

Thanks for bringing that up, I didn't mention how deluded and selfish the motives of Eco nuts really are; they think as they go, so does the World. No.

Lithrael said:
But I don't see how the hell you can not believe in pollution.

What comes from the Earth shall return, so where's the problem other than selfish wants as we've already discussed. Bird's build nests, we build sewers, we're all a part of the system; it's thaaaa cirrrrrrrrcllle of lliiiiiiffe. 8)

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
What comes from the Earth shall return, so where's the problem other than selfish wants as we've already discussed. Bird's build nests, we build sewers, we're all a part of the system; it's thaaaa cirrrrrrrrcllle of lliiiiiiffe. 8)

Uh.. well, ok.. I'm just a big fan of quality of life, I'd rather everything get the chance to be healthy while it's alive, and screwing up the environment tends to fuck that up as most life handles fast changes rather badly. Sure nature is brutal but successful individuals usually get to have a good time till they die messily and natural disease rates aren't that bad. Seeing large numbers of people and animals living with cancerous skin lesions and partial liver failure because of environmental carelessness makes me feel shitty. Selfish? Ok.

Griffith

Lithrael said:
Uh..  well, ok..

dude.jpg

That's why your last couple of posts have seemed familiar. Great movie, BTW. ;D​

Anyway, yes, animals are cool and cancer sucks, and while I agree with those statements and enjoy quality of life as well, the subject was the planet Earth, so I was speaking from a more fitting universal standpoint, looking at Earth in terms of geologic time. The point being, your personal perception of good quality of life is not the ruler by which to measure the health of a four billion year old entity. Also, for the record, I was not calling you personally a selfish Eco nut. ;)

Eco nuts are stupid. They only care about their well being (if you really think about it). If they let the things continue as they are then Earth will start up its defense mechanisms, start another ice age and remove the cancer on the planet called humans. She'll be back with new species and we have survived ice ages before, we can do it again.

I really hate to say this but all the death that is going on is actually good. If no one died we would totally be screwed. Can you imagine every place on Earth like New York city? I dont think i need to explain why this would be bad. Plus i hate the city, its nice to visit though (especially New York), but that is just my opinion.

and Lithrael, the best way to learn is by experience i always say. Because humans are stupid they have to go through something like an ice age before they learn to treat the planet like it should be treated.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NeoBerserker said:
If they let the things continue as they are then Earth will start up its defense mechanisms, start another ice age

"Earth" doesn't "start" ice age in order to defend itself, it's just a natural phenomena, most likely due to lesser sun exposition.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
"Earth" doesn't "start" ice age in order to defend itself, it's just a natural phenomena, most likely due to lesser sun exposition.

It sounds cool though. ;D

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
NeoBerserker said:
I really hate to say this but all the death that is going on is actually good. If no one died we would totally be screwed. Can you imagine every place on Earth like New York city? I dont think i need to explain why this would be bad. Plus i hate the city, its nice to visit though (especially New York), but that is just my opinion.
Damn, you Jerseyites are still pissed we beat down the Devils in '94 eh.

As for all of this stuff, Japan has seen much worse and it doesn't seem like they're running around saying its armaggedon except in animes like X. I hate ecofanatics too but I have to just laugh everytime I see the news reporting "Acts of ecoterrorism" and see burning Hummers or H2s.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
It ain't over 'til its over.

Ah, the wit and wisdom of Yogi Berra.

Frankly, destruction from both within and without would probably be neccessary to completely obliterate the planet. Now, if we're just talking "screw it over to the point that everything but the roaches bite it", then a couple dozen thermonuclear warheads detonated randomly would probably do the trick. Note the quote: everything but the roaches. Hell, even some of the rats might survive. As for pollution, not my favorite thing. I like being able to breathe and all, but unless you have a huge number of people living in a valley (like in Mexico City), it does fluctuate between bad and bearable. As for the "sudden increase" in hurricanes and tidal waves, remember that our most accurate records of weather patterns only go back to the 1890's. These phenomena may have occurred in the past as well. On the other hand, solid waste and sewage disposal are issues of immediate concern to people, or at least should be, depending on where you live. I still remember thinking it laughable that in India, tons of raw sewage would get dumped into the Ganges, one of the holy rivers where the faithful would bathe. When the religious authorities were approached about a clean up project, they said the Ganges was holy enough to purify itself, even though thousands were dying of illness related to exposure to contaminated water. They only agreed to it when the question was posited "is it right to throw garbage and refuse into a holy river?" Heh. I'm still laughing about it, even now :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Herald of Yama said:
Note the quote: everything but the roaches.

Ants and scorpions would live too. ;)

Herald of Yama said:
I still remember thinking it laughable that in India, tons of raw sewage would get dumped into the Ganges, one of the holy rivers where the faithful would bathe.

Reminds me of the Niger (river). There are at least 5 nations that feed on it, they get food, water almost exclusively from there. But they still throw everything in it, and wouldn't remove an animal carcass rotting in it if it's another tribe's, even when it's 100 meters up to the place their kid bathe. At the rate it's going, in 10 years the river will get dry, but they don't care, despite scientists being alarmed and such. And when it dries up, they'll all die as they're also some of the poorest countries in the world.

It just make me wonder if we are back in the ancient time where Earth is still a raging planet?

Anyway in future an island near Hawaii is in danger of collasping itself in the sea, causing a massive landslide that trigger a super tsunami known as Megasunami... If that really happen, I am quite sure it is more devastating than a hydrogen bomb explosion at New York and Tokyo combined...

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Smith said:
It just make me wonder if we are back in the ancient time where Earth is still a raging planet?

Anyway in future an island near Hawaii is in danger of collasping itself in the sea, causing a massive landslide that trigger a super tsunami known as Megasunami... If that really happen, I am quite sure it is more devastating than a hydrogen bomb explosion at New York and Tokyo combined...
Well I really am afraid that one day there'll be a gigantic ball rolling up every single thing in sight to make the moon again, because it was destroyed.

Top Bottom