Olivier is gone

Nosferatu

BERSERK
Damn, a $h!tty way to bring in the new year!!! :'( I didn't know Olivier personally, but in the two or so years I've been lurking the boards, I've always been fascinated with his painstakingly accurate theories. Hopefully, there will be more times where Olivier can share his vast knowledge and ideas with us again. Until then, I wish you luck and thanks for all of your contributions.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
[quote author=SaiyajinNoOuji]
[quote author=C]more people into Berserk = better for Miura, right?[/quote]  
Not necessarily.. If it brings retard people here, well we don't want them. See what it brings?
[/quote]

But bringing more people also gets you a few more good members, along with lots of dumb ones.  IMO all this board needs is an actual set of rules for the mods to refer to, to keep a little bit of order.  And to stop catering to people that can't stand being modded.

I mean, Olivier left because so many people just wouldn't shut up.  Why not make them shut up?  I really can't believe our mods would go too far and make the place unfriendly.  I haven't seen anything that would make me think they'd mod for anything but extreme obnoxiousness.  A little more moderation would be excellent.

As for whose rules, well damn it, the mods' rules.  Of course everyone's standards are different, but we can all deal with it.  I for one will gladly surrender a little bit of liberty to make this a less stupid place to be.

A rule like 'please proofread your own posts to make sure they MAKE SOME KIND OF SENSE before posting, posts that nobody can understand will be deleted so you can try again' would be a great start.  If someone really has that damn much trouble getting their ideas across they could have a SK Buddy to PM for help.

Or just a post throttle.  That would rule actually.  Limit obnoxious people to one post a day and they might actually save up their thoughts for one decent post.

I shut up now.   ;)

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Well sure.
I remember after having watched the anime years ago, i searched the usual info about "how survives""what rickert" and so on ^^ I was more than a noobie back then and I had discovered with immense gratitude the BSOM forum though it wasn't their beginning at all.Btw I remember i had fell on Olivier's incredible posts and the more of a surprise to me was that he was french.  ::)

Anyway as for what Smith said, I think what he meant (excuse me if i'm overinterpretating) was this place would better be a small place full of people forming a community between themselves(and not some high power controlling overflowing newcomers) a community mainly eager to speculate.
In this way of things, I think we shall wait for the next chapter after this winter break and see whether this "dream" can be realised...or not.
Guil

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Wereallmad said:
It wasn't just Berserk. The guy seemed to know everything.

He really did.  It was crazy.

BSOM is gone now, but the original old SK BBS is still around to read for those who want a glimpse into how much Olivier offered this community.  He patiently explained so much, when so many of us were new to Berserk (and like in my case were especially confused about the whole Griffith rebirth thing.)
http://www.skullknight.net/bbs/bbsOLD.html

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Hey Lithreal, well there have been rules set before and when admins try to do there thing... IE ban people, people make a big fuss over whether or not its right to ban them... in anycase, I had suggested to Walter if there is way a quota system for messages... IE... a new user could have like 20 posts for 2 weeks, or something like that, and higher end users will have more posts... that way people will have to think about their questions and not just put crap down all the time.

Now that is all up to the software and what not, but it's just a suggestion.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
The point, SaiyajinNoOuji, is that here we are not in the army and people join a forum for the fun of it. If you are too strict, people just will not join anymore and those that have joined already will leave.And a forum where there are only an handful of members that post only "serious , intelligent, and well thought things" is a forum that is dying and fast. And wanna bet that the ones that will less accept those strict rules wil be the ones that now are asking for them ?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I agree but if it spirals out of control then what and say, Walter says, fuck it guys, im canning this? There has to be something to control it, I admit, maybe my suggestion is a bit extreme, but something is going to have to be done, and more then likely Walter is going to be doing that something.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
TheSkyTraveller said:
He really did. It was crazy.

BSOM is gone now, but the original old SK BBS is still around to read for those who want a glimpse into how much Olivier offered this community. He patiently explained so much, when so many of us were new to Berserk (and like in my case were especially confused about the whole Griffith rebirth thing.)
http://www.skullknight.net/bbs/bbsOLD.html

I'm kind of glad the BSOM board is gone. I was such an incredible shithead there. I'd rather pretend that never happened.

roberto999 said:
The point, SaiyajinNoOuji, is that here we are not in the army and people join a forum for the fun of it. If you are too strict, people just will not join anymore and those that have joined already will leave.And a forum where there are only an handful of members that post only "serious , intelligent, and well thought things" is a forum that is dying and fast. And wanna bet that the ones that will less accept those strict rules wil be the ones that now are asking for them ?

Well, apparently I'd much rather have a 'dying' forum then.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
roberto999 said:
...people join a forum for the fun of it. If you are too strict, people just will not join anymore and those that have joined already will leave.

There's miles of space between too strict and not strict enough. Good luck convincing me we need the level of permissiveness we have now in order for the place to be fun. Think of it like public nudity laws. Sure it cuts in on people's liberty to be forced to wear clothes, but you don't really want to be stuck looking at scarey naked people while you're trying to go about your day, do you? Who cares if people raise a fuss? People like making a big deal out of nothing. "Oh noes they are going to ban Sukioden if he does not put on some pants pretty soon! What's next?? They might start banning people for wearing hotpants!! It could happen to you!! Fight the power!!" I think we can happily ignore that kind of criticism.

chugoku sensei

Too good!
I guess I am a noob at posting, but I've been following Berserk and the forum since BSOM. I think the posts generated by Olivier is exactly what made me want to join. The discussion here was just much more stimulating than other sites. And I think more mod action will be good for rooting out people that just seem to go on posting ego-trips. But I am still slightly afraid of summary banning like skulllord used to do.

Honestly, if people just THOUGHT before they posted (making sure that their facts were correct, that they weren't repeating earlier points, and that their ideas weren't utterly retarded) tried to view their post from everyone else's perspective (are you stating the obvious? why should anyone care about what you're saying?), and LISTENED to and thoughtfully considered others' criticisms without getting butthurt, the stupidity would be reduced. I only post if I can add something, which isn't very often, because I'm not that insightful and I'm usually wrong. Others aren't so restrained and post every stupidass idea that pops into their head without thinking. Crap like the spirit in Vritannis being Guts' mom, Ganishka not being an apostle, the pirate being an apostle -and- Charlotte's father, Guts being romantically involved with Scheirke...and when these ideas get shut down (with logic/proof), then come the indignant responses about how this place is 'free for any ideas' and 'don't go against teh senior members!!!11 they will make fun of you unless you completely agree with them 100%!' Now, you can't help being stupid for the most part (not posting like me helps), but it probably wasn't so much the ignorance and stupidity than the arrogance and refusal to listen that made Olivier leave.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Bubbles Float High said:
In my 18 hours and 43 minutes of being on this bored.. I don't know what to say, but for some reason.. I don't think he'll be coming back. u_u

Was that supposed to be a perfect example to drive home Mage's point?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
"Griffith No More!" said:
Was that supposed to be a perfect example to drive home Mage's point?
I have to admit Griff... you "seem" to take Olivier's departure rather lightly.  Frankly I was expecting the big bang from you (in a good way).  Is it because you see where he's coming from?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Nomad said:
I have to admit Griff... you "seem" to take Olivier's departure rather lightly.  Frankly I was expecting the big bang from you (in a good way).  Is it because you see where he's coming from?

Actually, it's because I don't see where he's coming from.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Whatever I was going to say would be only be paraphrasing some of the above and my begging wouldn't be the deciding factor in bringing him back...

...so I'll just say thank you (a lot), that the only people who thought PL belonged in this forum didn't belong here themselves (a small number, I'm guessing, but I really didn't notice any who felt that way), and I hope you will reconsider now that that sideshow freak has departed.

(I know I'm late, but Olivier does deserve tribute from every semi-active member here, right?)

Opie

The Sex Icon
Why don't the mods just rule the place with an iron fist? Ban anyone who making stupid comments from the get go.

If it worked for Stalin, it'll work for a Berserk forum.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Wereallmad said:
I'm kind of glad the BSOM board is gone. I was such an incredible shithead there. I'd rather pretend that never happened.

I'm sure I said some stupid things there, myself, but I don't remember anything you did there that bothered me, at least.   ???

BOB

poruno sutâ
he was just fishing for compliments i guess. The BSOM board was never that retarded, exept for some 2nd season and scan questions

I'm not saying that the present admins don't do a good job, but I think that when Griffith was an admin.. it was pretty cool. What I want to say is that they really are good admins.. but are not arsh enough when it's needed.

Shurikn said:
I'm not saying that the present admins don't do a good job, but I think that when Griffith was an admin.. it was pretty cool. What I want to say is that they really are good admins.. but are not arsh enough when it's needed.

Aaz did his job pretty well... as far as i am concern

d00kiemastah

All I want to do is...bicycle.
At first I wasn't gonna post in this thread.  Partly because I felt that everyone had stated their feelings and they all were identical to mine, and partly because I feel like a complete fool for even jokingly supporting Paradise_Lost in his campaign.  But, when Nir mentioned that Olivier deserves tribute from even semi-active members, that seemed to make alot of sense to me.  So here I am! 

I don't know what to say, really.  Though I seldom post outside of STB I still follow the other sections of the board, and I was always relieved when Olivier would clear things up in a moment of confusion.  He was a beacon of knowledge and reason, and I'll sincerely miss his insight.  At first he seemed like something of a know it all to me, but eventually I realized; because he does know it all.  I can only hope he'll return, and if he doesn't I guess I will have to spend my days scanning gamefaqs for my dose of Hagueing.

Top Bottom