Casca's attitude toward Griffith

stifler

Idea of Evil, the heart of indecency
Since Griffith was reincarnated through Casca's child is she now attached to him same as she was to her child, will she try to protect him from Guts?

Sorry if this alrealdy came up before.

Smith said:
If Casca remains insane... I presume she will, if not then she may even help Guts to get him...
If she remains insane anything might happen, but if she becomes sane, well, if I were in her place I wouldn`t rest until I had Griffiths head on a pike.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yeah, I hope that's the way it turns out, with her wanting to fight alongside Guts and co. But Skull Knight did say that what Guts wants may not be what Casca wants. I don't really know what to expect after that.

If she ever becomes sane her new hatred towards Griffith combined with the knowledge that her child is now Griffith's vessel she just might relapse.

It's hard to explain Griffith and Caska's last meeting at the hill of swords, that is if Caska was attracted to Griffith because she sensed her child within him, still unconsciously saw Griffith so highly like the past or both.
The same can be asked for Griffith, did he protect her because he was still fond of his pet from his previous life, was it the child within him that is still protective of Caska or both?

If she does become sane again she might think more rationally and not try to stop Guts after realising that her child is indeed taken over by Griffith, along with the knowledge of the Eclispe, raping and everything else. If she tries to stop Guts after such knowledge then she really is a moron.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
It's hard to explain Griffith and Caska's last meeting at the hill of swords, that is if Caska was attracted to Griffith because she sensed her child within him, still unconsciously saw Griffith so highly like the past or both. The same can be asked for Griffith

I don't think that there's much doubt about this, really. When you look at that scene, everything seems to tell that she's seeing her child, and not Griffith himself (her condition, attitude, and actions). In the same way, he protected her because of the child, it's clearly shown.

stifler

Idea of Evil, the heart of indecency
Ok, but how about this, is there any consciousness of the child left in the current Griffith? I personally think there isn't...

Have you read the manga? Griffith holding his chest saying "this blood of mine that I thought was frozen" and a shot of the child. Yeah nothing at all left of the child. ::)

Kagami

Goo!
Rage Incarnate said:
Have you read the manga? Griffith holding his chest saying "this blood of mine that I thought was frozen" and a shot of the child. Yeah nothing at all left of the child. ::)

Isn't it speculation that what was left of the child, is now that little kid that was found before the gator attack?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yeah, but as of yet there's no definite proof. I don't think it is, because the child is the vessel that was used to reincarnate Griffith, so how could it suddenly be manifested as something else? Anyway, that's my opinion.

Kagami

Goo!
Rhombaad said:
Yeah, but as of yet there's no definite proof. I don't think it is, because the child is the vessel that was used to reincarnate Griffith, so how could it suddenly be manifested as something else? Anyway, that's my opinion.

what do you think it could be? during that episode, Guts thought of that last time he saw the little creature-kid. There had to be a reason for him bringing up that. I know it could have been due to his rabble saying "seems almost like a family", but that thingy wasn't really family, just blood. ack. Well you get what I'm saying...

Aazealh said:
I don't think that there's much doubt about this, really. When you look at that scene, everything seems to tell that she's seeing her child, and not Griffith himself (her condition, attitude, and actions). In the same way, he protected her because of the child, it's clearly shown.

Then I presume the only reason you think Griffith came to see Guts at the hill of swords is because the child within him wants to be near his father.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
Then I presume the only reason you think Griffith came to see Guts at the hill of swords is because the child within him wants to be near his father.

No, I don't see where you're getting that. A simple look at the page makes it obvious Griffith acts unconsciously when he goes and protects Casca IMHO, because of the child. However, he states himself that he wanted to see if he felt something for Guts or not. It's two different things, and you can see that he's troubled by his own reaction to Casca.

Aazealh said:
No, I don't see where you're getting that. A simple look at the page makes it obvious Griffith acts unconsciously when he goes and protects Casca IMHO, because of the child. However, he states himself that he wanted to see if he felt something for Guts or not. It's two different things, and you can see that he's troubled by his own reaction to Casca.

It may be two different things, but if the Demon child is the only reason Griffith went out of his way to save Caska then his idea to see Guts in the first place could have just as easily been reinforced from the childs affection for Guts as well as Caska. If i'm not mistaken Skully says the child wants to be with both his parents like any other child.

I'm not saying it wasn't the child to influence Griffiths choice to save Caska, but if it was indeed only Griffiths opinion that made the decision to see Guts purely from nostalgia, IMHO It doesn't seem any different to him saving Caska through old affections.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Joseph Smith said:
It may be two different things, but if the Demon child is the only reason Griffith went out of his way to save Caska then his idea to see Guts in the first place could have just as easily been reinforced from the childs affection for Guts as well as Caska.

Well, it probably was. At least, when Griffith actually confronted him, he felt something, we can see that during the fight against Zodd, a shot of the child and Griffith commenting about it.

Joseph Smith said:
If i'm not mistaken Skully says the child wants to be with both his parents like any other child.

Yep.

Joseph Smith said:
I'm not saying it wasn't the child to influence Griffiths choice to save Caska, but if it was indeed only Griffiths opinion that made the decision to see Guts purely from nostalgia, IMHO It doesn't seem any different to him saving Caska through old affections.

Griffith's care for Guts and Casca has never been on the same level though... He saves her without even thinking about it from the looks of it, that's not something he would normally do, I think.

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Joseph Smith said:
It may be two different things, but if the Demon child is the only reason Griffith went out of his way to save Caska then his idea to see Guts in the first place could have just as easily been reinforced from the childs affection for Guts as well as Caska. If i'm not mistaken Skully says the child wants to be with both his parents like any other child.

I agree with you on this point, but I think that was probably such an underlying issue that it was barely a thought in Griffith's mind. I believe Griffith's main intention was to see if Guts invoked some of those ill feelings he harbored before the Eclipse. The fact that the Demon child wanted to see his father is secondary. Though I think that is an interesting way to think about some of the deeper feelings that Griffith-reborn may encounter. Though I don't think the demon child particularly cared for his father as much as he did his mother. :p

Griffith's care for Guts and Casca has never been on the same level though... He saves her without even thinking about it from the looks of it, that's not something he would normally do, I think.

It's interesting to remember how Griffith saved Casca the first time they met. It wasn't a matter of Griffith swooping to rescue some damsel in distress, he flung a sword down at her and make her fight for herself. Casca was only a child back then and pretty helpless until Griffith spurned her on to actually do something about her situation. At that time Casca saw Griffith at her savior, even though she physically saved herself. In the case at the Sword of Hills, she's still helpless, but another part of Griffith took over and unconsciously saved her. However, Casca doesn't really even notice the danger she was in or the fact that he saved her life, all she's focused on is his face and her feeling for the demon child inside of him. I know this is just mindless rambling on my part, but I find the juxtaposition interesting. :)

Miyu said:
I agree with you on this point, but I think that was probably such an underlying issue that it was barely a thought in Griffith's mind.  I believe Griffith's main intention was to see if Guts invoked some of those ill feelings he harbored before the Eclipse.  The fact that the Demon child wanted to see his father is secondary.  Though I think that is an interesting way to think about some of the deeper feelings that Griffith-reborn may encounter.  Though I don't think the demon child particularly cared for his father as much as he did his mother.   :p

I would agree with most of that, but I can't help but wonder if Miura wanted this situation to be one of those parts in a story where the reader is meant to be left wondering if it was Griffiths or the childs affections (or both) to see Guts and save Caska.... but probably not.

Top Bottom