Episode 250

D

darkbane

Headless Death said:
Maybe, but I'm still thinking that he is still pretty good at worming out of things.
Oh that he is. As slimy as they get, that one. ^_^

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like everyone's bringing their own thoughts on fat, bald old men to the table, rather than giving a genuine reading of Foss' character. What if Foss were to read these comments? Poor guy, OH NO! Foss! Don't read that!

foss.jpg

Look what you did to the poor guy! :'(

The whole thing sort of reminds me of this thread... and the popular approach of thinking inside the box.

puella

Berserk forever
Farnese' father looks really cold blooded. We can never see a good father in berserk? Miura has a father complex or something? ;D
I guess he might have a chance to find out that his daughter isn't a naughty girl any more.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Was there something trustworthy about Foss that I missed? ???

Anyway, I'm thinking that probably the Vandimion estate was just going to be burned with the town. But I wonder if Magnifico and the Father are going to escape.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
puella said:
Farnese' father looks really cold blooded. We can never see a good father in berserk? Miura has a father complex or something? ;D
I guess he might have a chance to find out that his daughter isn't a naughty girl any more.
I think Miura's portrayal of fathers is more complex than that they're simply "all bad". Roshinu's father seemed fine in the flashback. Isidro turned his back on his parents, not they on him. And in my opinion, Gambino was a good man turned bad with a chance encounter.

Besides, Mr. Vandemion doesn't seem THAT bad, does he?

EDIT: See episodes 178-179: 'Snow and flames' for the origin of my sympathy for Mr. Vandemion.

Was there something trustworthy about Foss that I missed?
His devotion for the past 2+ years to Griffith? (see volumes 7, 17, 27) Sure, he had a rocky start. But he's perfectly loyal now.

puella

Berserk forever
Walter said:
I think Miura's portrayal of fathers is more complex than that they're simply "all bad". Roshinu's father seemed fine in the flashback. Isidro turned his back on his parents, not they on him. And in my opinion, Gambino was a good man turned bad with a chance encounter.

Besides, Mr. Vandemion doesn't seem THAT bad, does he?

Agreed, not that bad. But he seems to be a man of honor and strict. All the fathers we've seen in Berserk have something in common. I'd say it's not real evil but twist-minded.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Headless Death said:
Personally I still think Foss as untrustworthy. He simply will do whatever someone stronger, or more powerful than him tells him to.

He's leading rebels in Wyndham against Ganishka, an opponent more powerful than anything he or any noble in Midland has known until now. He did that when rumors about Griffith returning were unconfirmed and unlikely things.

Pishacha are sent against him and his men, and what are they fighting for? Charlotte, definitely a strong leading figure... Still, he stayed.

Walter said:
I think Miura's portrayal of fathers is more complex than that they're simply "all bad".

Sure thing, we've yet to see a real loving father though. Closest would be Guts. ;)

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Oops :-[ , I must have missed episode 230.

Aazealh said:
Sure thing, we've yet to see a real loving father though. Closest would be Guts.
What about Godo. He was obviously the father figure in Erica's life. He was even kinda loving, in his own way. :D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Headless Death said:
What about Godo. He was obviously the father figure in Erica's life. He was even kinda loving, in his own way. :D

True, didn't think of him, probably because he was so old he could have been her grandfather. ;D Anyway, he was rough, but loving enough indeed.

D

darkbane

Walter said:
His devotion for the past 2+ years to Griffith? (see volumes 7, 17, 27) Sure, he had a rocky start. But he's perfectly loyal now.
Aazealh said:
He's leading rebels in Wyndham against Ganishka, an opponent more powerful than anything he or any noble in Midland has known until now. He did that when rumors about Griffith returning were unconfirmed and unlikely things.

Pishacha are sent against him and his men, and what are they fighting for? Charlotte, definitely a strong leading figure... Still, he stayed.
Here's a different take on the issue: Foss' fear of Griffith is more than his fear of the Emperor of Evil, so much that it defies logic in that he still serves him and believes that he will descend. Plus, everyone in Midland has seen the prophetic dream, but everyone had a slightly different version. Foss' fear of Griffith is therefore reinforced by the dream. Serving a strong master, out of fear, is not really loyalty or a display of trustworthiness. Anyway, first impressions also count, and Foss has made a pretty bad impression to start with - not really anything to do with bald men stereotypes. I can't really hate Griffith for the same reason.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Herald of Yama said:
What exactly was Vandemion-otou's complaint about Farnese using the family name? Or did I mistranslate? ???

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=4159.new#new

He's referring to her previous burning down the mansion and subsequent abandonment of her post as General to the HICKS.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
darkbane said:
Here's a different take on the issue: Foss' fear of Griffith is more than his fear of the Emperor of Evil, so much that it defies logic in that he still serves him and believes that he will descend.

It would defy logic indeed, which is why I think of this as unlikely. Foss didn't really look like he was calmly waiting for Griffith to come and save them or anything when he talked to Raban, he was quite nervous and asked him about the Falcon rumor like a man clinging to his last hope.

This is in fact irrational enough already, considering Foss knows that Griffith was tortured for a year and his armies dismissed. Not to forget that Griffith has never been anything like Ganishka as far as Foss knows, just a talented general. Now that would be plausible as the dream's doing added to Griffith's strong impression on Foss back then, IMHO. Him staying in Wyndham all along just shows his dedication to Midland itself.

darkbane said:
everyone in Midland has seen the prophetic dream, but everyone had a slightly different version.

More than just slightly different, for what we've seen... It actually looks like the Falcon of Light could be the only common element in the dream people had.

darkbane said:
Anyway, first impressions also count, and Foss has made a pretty bad impression to start with

Well, Foss' first impression of Griffith was quite right: a dangerous man, opportunist, everything but loyal to the royalty, that wanted to get popular among the nobles and acquire a title at any cost, though he wouldn't have thought Griffith coveted the Midland throne itself, or was as talented and dangerous as he happened to be.

Anyway, to get back on topic, what do you guys think the future events will be like? Farnese clarifying things with her father, the guys meeting with Azan, getting the boat, sailing away to Elfhelm, the Kushans attacking, the story switching to King Griffith and the Hawks, etc.

No, I have lost complete trust in nobles, I realise that some are "good" and others are not, but the fact that so many have turned down towards the path of darkness really has made me not trust them. Now seeing that Farnese has something to hide too...argh, they are all untrustworthy.

D

darkbane

Aazealh said:
Anyway, to get back on topic, what do you guys think the future events will be like? Farnese clarifying things with her father, the guys meeting with Azan, getting the boat, sailing away to Elfhelm, the Kushans attacking, the story switching to King Griffith and the Hawks, etc.
I think she won't make up with her father. Probably somehow get help from Magnifico to escape the situation, or maybe Azan coming to "rescue" her from the mansion, then the whole group gets chased to the docks by the town guards. Chase gets called off in light of bigger problems (aka an armada of Kushan warships, or enemy at the gate), boat sails into the sunset. Cut to Griffith being crowned or married (or both) and then watching from a nearby hill as the Kushans decimate the city that Guts and co just fled. This should cover up to 254 ^_^.

S

Some Guy

I really don't expect a whole lot of action in the few chapters (maybe some swordplay between Serpico and Manifico though). I think it will have more to deal with character developement between Farnase abd her Father. As said before Manifico will prabably learn of their need for a ship and strike some sort of deal. Probably blackmail, since noone is suppose to know that she survived and is staying in the mansion.

I expect to see any Kushan showing up anytime soon. Azan may join up later on.

Also I really don't see Farnase's Father as a bad person. Farnase had a pretty spotty record up to the point of her disappearance and the loss of her knights and her living in hiding and returning home must have looked very shameful. I found it was generous of him to let her stay in the mansion. Same thing with Manifico. His reasoning seems just in that he's not capable of making important decisions of his own. A man in his position and of his stature can't be a softy. He's strict but fair.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Freddy C said:
No, I have lost complete trust in nobles, I realise that some are "good" and others are not, but the fact that so many have turned down towards the path of darkness really has made me not trust them. Now seeing that Farnese has something to hide too...argh, they are all untrustworthy.

What the hell are you talking about? These are fictional characters and you're acting like you have some personal distaste for them, stop it. Also, what is Farnese hiding?

Woland said:
I thought he sold Guts to Donavan before his leg was blown off.

That was the chance encounter I believe.

darkbane said:
Cut to Griffith being crowned or married (or both) and then watching from a nearby hill as the Kushans decimate the city that Guts and co just fled.

Don't you think they'd rather get in on the act? ;)

I also think that Mr. V isn't a bad guy, so far he's been cold, but not cruel.

Quote from: Freddy C on Today at 04:56:37 AM

Quote from: "Griffith No More!" on Today at 02:55:10 PM
What the hell are you talking about? These are fictional characters and you're acting like you have some personal distaste for them, stop it. Also, what is Farnese hiding?

Have you ever really not liked or even hated a person in a movie or show? Well realize that they were actors, and did a really good job in making you believe they were so evil, cruel, etc. They really aren't like that, just on the camera. At the same time that brings up Freddy C's dislike of the nobles in stories, Berserk in this instance. That shows you how good of a writer Miura is, if you can't even hear the persons voice, see how they really act, but still dislike them so much just because you read about them, that is some impressive writing by Miura in my opinion :).

Just my thought of course.

- C ;D

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Headless Death said:
I believe that the chance encounter was his abrupt loss of his lover Shisu.

Or possibly the discovery of baby Guts in the first place.  The guys in Gambino's group thought it was a bad omen to find him in a place like that.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Damage Control said:
Have you ever really not liked or even hated a person in a movie or show? Well realize that they were actors, and did a really good job in making you believe they were so evil, cruel, etc. They really aren't like that, just on the camera. At the same time that brings up Freddy C's dislike of the nobles in stories, Berserk in this instance. That shows you how good of a writer Miura is, if you can't even hear the persons voice, see how they really act, but still dislike them so much just because you read about them, that is some impressive writing by Miura in my opinion

Good to the point of paranoid delusion? I don't think so, this went far beyond identifying with the characters or stereotying them. The guy was talking about the "nobles" like they're squatting in his basement and stealing the cheese out of his refrigerator. ;)

Headless Death said:
I believe that the chance encounter was his abrupt loss of his lover Shisu.

How is his wife dying an encounter at all?

TheSkyTraveller said:
Or possibly the discovery of baby Guts in the first place.  The guys in Gambino's group thought it was a bad omen to find him in a place like that.

Now there's an idea, I sure like it better than his wife's "encounter" with death (spooky!). Anyway, only Walter can say what he was talking about, but what came to my mind was Donovan approaching Gambino about his interest in Guts, and Gambino sactioning their meeting. Now that's a chance encounter, it's not like Gambino was pimping Guts up and down the ranks, he was approached and he made a decision, one that became a major turning point in all their lives. I vote for that or the "encounter" with the canonball. ;)

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
I figured Walter was talking about the cannonball, since that's when Gambino really lost any semblance of affection for Guts.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Woland said:
I figured Walter was talking about the cannonball, since that's when Gambino really lost any semblance of affection for Guts.
I appreciate all the speculation guys, but Woland was right. I got mixed up in my chronology. Gambino's loss of his leg changed everything. I'd like to lie and say: "Uhh... what Griffith said!" etc, but, well that just wouldn't be honest, would it? 8)

Skytraveller's answer was the best of all though. Way more universal than mine.

So, uhh 251?

Top Bottom