Computer geeks needed

Okay very soon I will be buying a computer next week. Haven't really decided yet. But there's a couple of computers 2.7 Ghz Celeron 120 GB CD-R/RW around $400. Then there's a few 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 same price but with less stuff it has a 40GB and no CD burner.

Okay now here's my question should I buy the computer with the Celeron or the Pentium 4? I've heard some things about the Celeron that it's a "neutered" sp? version of Pentium 4. Which to buy a faster computer celeron with more stuff or the Pentium 4 computer that has less stuff but is more reliable not to break down I think? And yet is slower than the Celeron computer. :-X

Please help me por favor. :'(

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Personally I would go for the celeron.  Sure it will most likely run a little slower than the 2.7 Ghz, and it will still most likely run around the same speed as the P4 2.4Ghz.  So once you realize they are about the same processor, you get to 40 gig hard drive or 120 gig.  Easy choice, 120gig.  And lastly as a bonus Cd-burner.
Also I should add that I have not had any stability errors with going the recommended clock speeds with a celeron, you can overclock with them, but ensure to mantain system stability.
I mess up here every now and then. BSoD :-[
So go with the computer for around the same price with the better stuff, simple. :)

Headless Death said:
Personally I would go for the celeron.  Sure it will most likely run a little slower than the 2.7 Ghz, and it will still most likely run around the same speed as the P4 2.4Ghz.  So once you realize they are about the same processor, you get to 40 gig hard drive or 120 gig.  Easy choice, 120gig.  And lastly as a bonus Cd-burner.
Also I should add that I have not had any stability errors with going the recommended clock speeds with a celeron, you can overclock with them, but ensure to mantain system stability.
I mess up here every now and then. BSoD :-[
So go with the computer for around the same price with the better stuff, simple. :)

So far the Celeron computer is souning better but not yet 100% convince. :-\

I need more peoples opinions.

Why not just put yours together yourself? If the pentium had the same hard drive as the celeron but just without the burner I would say go for it, if you like your leeching then of course the big hard drive is always the choice to make. Personally though I don't have a burner, don't need a burner because everyone has one these days I could probably use so why bother?

Where I am there are two other computers with burners though it might not be the same for everyone, they are almost always in your grasp with friends and such. Question is do you need a fast computer, do you intend on running Doom 3 and Half life 2 as good as possible? If yes then the Pentium would probably be the choice to make, besides if you needed a bigger hard drive you could always buy one later when money was better.
What about the Graphics card, motherboard or Ram in these systems?

Not planning to use the computer for PC games but for internet purposes with DSL then the stuff that I downloaded it burn it on my dvd burner which I will buy later. So a good 3D graphics card doesn't matter to me. :p

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Then go for the celeron, if thats all you need it for, just upgrade or add mroe RAM, DVD burning is very resource taxing on your computer.

redria said:
what about 120 GB? ive got 2 of those in my computer, they'll last me a while

Woah you got TWO 120GB? Dam you have nothing to worry then. This is why I'm interested getting the Celeron deal it contains a 120 GB. 8)

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Then go for the celeron, if thats all you need it for, just upgrade or add mroe RAM, DVD burning is very resource taxing on your computer.

RAM? English por favor. Just joking.

But seriously I have only a slight idea what RAM is. :p

Okay here's a description of the celeron computer check if it has a good amount of "ram".

The S5200nx is configured with a 2.7GHz Intel Celeron processor, a 128KB L2 cache, a 120GB hard drive and 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (expandable to 1024MB). In addition to the 400MHz front bus speed, the S5200nx contains a 1.44MB floppy drive, a 48x24x48 max. speeds) CD-RW drive, a 16X (max. speed) DVD-ROM drive, two open PCI slots, an open 3.5" internal drive bay and six USB 2.0 ports (two in front). For your communications needs, it features a V.92 data/fax modem and integrated 10/100 NIC. The Intel Extreme Graphics delivers sharp, bright images using up to 64MB of shared system memory. It comes with a Presario keyboard, a scroll mouse and a host of software. Windows XP Home Edition is pre-installed.

edit-

Okay I just checked
Installed Memory: 512 MB
Max System Memory: 1 GB
Memory Socket: DIMM
Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM

Is the Max system memory the RAM 1GB ? Or is it the Installed Memory 512 MB?

Found him.
bill_gates.jpg

;D

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
ZODDGUTSU said:
Okay I just checked
Installed Memory: 512 MB
Max System Memory: 1 GB
Memory Socket: DIMM
Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM

Is the Max system memory the RAM 1GB ? Or is it the Installed Memory 512 MB?
It sounds like there are two Ram chip slots in the computer, and that one will already be used for the 512MB that is already installed, which means that you still got one open for whenever you want to improve the performance of the system, up to another 512MB chip.

Uh what's up with the pictures people
Headless Death said:
It sounds like there are two Ram chip slots in the computer,  and that one will already be used for the 512MB that is already installed, which means that you still got one open for whenever you want to improve the performance of the system, up to another 512MB chip.

So does the computer hold a good amount of RAM?

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
512MB is a good amount of RAM, and usually as long as yournot doing anything to overtaxing to the system It should be great. But if you find that your quickly utilizing all your resources, may as well spring for another chip. :)

Headless Death said:
512MB is a good amount of RAM, and usually as long as yournot doing anything to overtaxing to the system It should be great.  But if you find that your quickly utilizing all your resources, may as well spring for another chip. :)

How will I "overtax" it like if I'm burning something on my cd/dvd burner, on the internet,downloading and watching something on Real Player would that "overtax" it?

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
ZODDGUTSU said:
How will I "overtax" it like if I'm burning something on my cd/dvd burner, on the internet,downloading and watching something on Real Player would that "overtax" it?
Nothing so small, I mean more like video editing and other high graphic intensive activities like MAYA or other CG image rendering.
Most likely you should be fine, unless in the case that you would do something like extract 10 large files, download 30 things, while you playing FFXI. This sure bogs down a system.

Headless Death said:
Nothing so small, I mean more like video editing and other high graphic intensive activities like MAYA or other CG image rendering. 
Most likely you should be fine, unless in the case that you would do something like extract 10 large files, download 30 things, while you playing FFXI.  This sure bogs down a system.

lol. Trust me I won't be doing that. ;D

Headless Death said:
WTF, what the hell is that thing in the picture, It...It's hideous. Thanks Now I will have nightmares of the EVIL creature.
If you really don't know, then its Bill Gates. But I think you were being sarcastic.

Top Bottom