Dragonslayer Maya Model (.mb)

Untitled-1.gif

Untitled-2.gif

File Here: http://www.geocities.com/aconcernedmoonmage/Dragonslayer.zip (20k)

Lithrael, am I wasting too many polygons on the hilt/handle area? I was using Nurbs semicircles and lofting between them with polygons, mostly, around 100-300 range. The handle itself is just a cube, but in order to get the slightly curved look that it has in most of the comic images, I had to subdivide it.

Also, right now I'm missing the single chain-link that is on the side of the sword. The only way I could think of to make that object swing realistically when the Dragonslayer is in motion is to turn both into hard bodies, but I wasn't sure if that might have some unintended consequences if I ever wanted to place it into a scene with other particles/etc, so I haven't bothered messing with that yet. (Advice Lithrael? Heh.)

The scaling is kind of difficult, and I might need to work on that some more. Also, there's obviously no textures yet. I may put a textured version up eventually.

Woraug

A credit to dementia
Awesome looking man. If you have the UT2K4 plugin, and can code, or find someone who can, you should throw it into UT2K4 as a new sword in Choas.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Well, the hilt is a little poly-heavy, but unless you need to be economical with your polys for some reason that's not a problem. If you want to convert it to a game mesh or something then yes, you'd want to simplify it. But if your computer doesn't mind rendering all that, for your purposes, then it's fine.

Nice work!

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Something I'd like to point out... I've allways thaught the black part of the blade was concave. 
Though some people might not agree with my source, the design art for the anime makes it quite clear. 

From the USA DVD release It might be useful regardless...

I considered making it concave, but I decided against it for a variety of reasons. First of all, I'd already made the blade, and didn't want to bother. I also consider being faithful to the look of the DS in 99% of the panels more important than being faithful to the look in a few source diagrams, and adding in a concave surface there would complicate things when you have lighting being applied and you're getting a shadow and specularity. For someone who's more concerned about being a literalist, you could always apply a bump map on that face to create the look of an indentation.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Majin Tenshi said:
Something I'd like to point out... I've allways thaught the black part of the blade was concave. 

Really?  I always just thought it was flat.  Miura never renders it like it's concave.  If it were, it would catch the light differently.  Miura seems like a stickler for detail, so I don't think he'd skimp on rendering the Dragonslayer.  The Art of War sculpts have it flat, too, and IIRC on the AOW web site they claim the sculpts are designed under the supervision of Miura.

Majin Tenshi said:
Though some people might not agree with my source, the design art for the anime makes it quite clear. 

Meh, the anime's not always that accurate...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheSkyTraveller said:
Really?  I always just thought it was flat.  Miura never renders it like it's concave.

There are shots in the manga where you can see that it's flat. It's just because his previous swords were concave, they have been confused or something ::). As a side note, they made the error (to draw it concave) one or two times in the TCG too.

By the way, if you have any nice, big pics where the DS is featured prominently, and not blurred or covered in blood, I'd appreciate those. I had a CD with scans with me when I was working on this, but it's hard to find any. One thing I'm curious about is whether the chain-link is only on one side or on both... I feel that it's only on one side, but I can't recall seeing an image where it's not visible.

Edit: Another thing: If anyone has a model of Guts w/ the DS, it would be really appreciated if you could give me some precise measurements (Preferably Metric MM) on
(1 ) Overall Length
(2 ) Blade Length
(3 ) Pommel Length (Thing at the end of the handle)
(4 ) Handle Length
(5 ) Radius of the Semicircle (including distance from both the interior and exterior points of the semicircular indentation-- to the edge)
(6 ) The width of the blade
(7 ) The width of one of the edges of the blade (ie, from edge to the central 'flat' area)
(8 ) The width of the central 'flat' area of the blade
(9 ) The depth of the blade (from its thickest point)

TheSkyTraveller

Denial said:
By the way, if you have any nice, big pics where the DS is featured prominently, and not blurred or covered in blood, I'd appreciate those. I had a CD with scans with me when I was working on this, but it's hard to find any. One thing I'm curious about is whether the chain-link is only on one side or on both... I feel that it's only on one side, but I can't recall seeing an image where it's not visible.

Edit: Another thing: If anyone has a model of Guts w/ the DS, it would be really appreciated if you could give me some precise measurements (Preferably Metric MM) on
(1 ) Overall Length
(2 ) Blade Length
(3 ) Pommel Length (Thing at the end of the handle)
(4 ) Handle Length
(5 ) Radius of the Semicircle (including distance from both the interior and exterior points of the semicircular indentation-- to the edge)
(6 ) The width of the blade
(7 ) The width of one of the edges of the blade (ie, from edge to the central 'flat' area)
(8 ) The width of the central 'flat' area of the blade
(9 ) The depth of the blade (from its thickest point)

Are you talking about taking measurements from one of the AOW toys or sculpts?  I can do that for you with one of my Black Swordsman action figures, and while they seem pretty accurate to the manga, I doubt they're perfectly to scale.

Also, I believe the chain link is only on one side of the DS.

Out of curiosity, what are you modeling this for?

Yes, the measurements from one of the AOW sculpts. It would be really cool if you could do that for me, unless you know some other way of getting all these measurements for the DS? To my knowledge a sculpture or something is the only place where you're really going to get a good three-dimensional proportional representation of the DS. In the manga it's really hard to get more than a general idea about its proportions anyway.

I started off doing the modelling for this as practice, since I hadn't used Maya for about 6 months and wanted to do something that wouldn't be too terribly hard. There's also an animation I have planned, but it's not coming along as well as I'd like, and time is hard to come by.

TheSkyTraveller

Denial said:
Yes, the measurements from one of the AOW sculpts. It would be really cool if you could do that for me, unless you know some other way of getting all these measurements for the DS?

Hey Denial, I'll be happy to do it for you, give me a day or so and I'll PM you the results.

Top Bottom