Berserk or GANTZ

whats more graphic???

• Total voters
I just watched A.D.V's new release of Studio Gonzo's GANTZ, and it's one of the most disturbing animes I've ever seen. It was so graphic that it had to be censored on Japanese TV. A train blasts two High School student's bodies to pieces, a Yakuza attempts to rape a girl who appeared out of nowhere naked, a dog gives the girl oral pleasure, people get ripped to peices. I didnt think i could find anything more graphic and disturbing then Berserk, or texhnolyze. so what do you think?? What do you think is more graphic.
Psymont 2.0 said:
lets hear em

D

darkbane

I dunno about GANTZ anime, but under the assumption that it's not much different from the manga, I'll give an opinion based on the later:

Berserk. GANTZ can get pretty violent and explicit at times, but it's too silly. Imho it does a poor job of drawing the reader in, which results in loss of interest. People get chopped to pieces, a lot of them are main characters, but frankly I couldn't care less. Berserk is off the scale on the other hand, you can practically feel the intensity, rage, violence - thus graphic scenes have more of an effect.

Quincy_Archer_Hates_You said:
I just watched A.D.V's new release of Studio Gonzo's GANTZ, and it's one of the most disturbing animes I've ever seen. It was so graphic that it had to be censored on Japanese TV. A train blasts two High School student's bodies to pieces, a Yakuza attempts to rape a girl who appeared out of nowhere naked, a dog gives the girl oral pleasure, people get ripped to peices. I didnt think i could find anything more graphic and disturbing then Berserk, or texhnolyze. so what do you think?? What do you think is more graphic.

Sweet... I mean that's horrible. FCC come quick!!!

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Berserk and Gantz! My two favorite!!!!

But one thing. Gantz anime is not like the manga. It totally runs the story to the ground in the anime. I guess you can say the same for Berserk.

D

darkbane

DemonX said:
Berserk and Gantz! My two favorite!!!!

But one thing. Gantz anime is not like the manga. It totally runs the story to the ground in the anime. I guess you can say the same for Berserk.

Honestly, don't hate me for saying this, but there isn't much of a story in GANTZ to begin with. ;D ;D ;D

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Gantz's author is SLOPPY... Miura has made like, 2 mistakes EVER, this guy makes one practicaly every other chapter. This guy has even forgotten characters in the group for whole arcs. Sure, Gantz has more sex and violence the Berserk anime, but the anime focused on the tamest arcs. If graphic/disturbing content is what you're looking for, there are arcs of Berserk that trump Gantz easily.

Gantz is a fun romp, but I don't take it to seriously. It does have some quality at times. It does a great job of showing humans as selfish pigs...

BTW, I've seen the anime through the ending. After the 3rd sortie, it goes way off the manga. I'm not exactly pleased with how they ended it.

They are both disturbed in different areas IMO. I speak of the manga comparisons as I haven't seen the uncut Anime of Gantz yet (and the normal version was incredibly tame violence wise) but they have both certainly had graphic violence, disturbing sexual content and overall a dark and creepy themes for more reasons than one. I can't make a decision.

For me Gantz is the second best manga I have ever read, so I'm compelled jump to it's defence.

For starters yeah as Majin says they have made more mistakes than Berserk, but not THAT many. If you can think of alot then please mention them, on that note I am also curious to what you meant by characters in the group being forgotten, it may have happened but I can't think of any from the top of my head.

The beauty of Anime and Manga is there are no real set boundaries to what they may do, but what sucks is that many Anime/Manga series are simply cliche after cliche from one another, where as Gantz has really created a very original story concept.
It may not have as indepth mythology or story backround in comparison to Berserk, but something tells me that with all the things happening and expected to happen I expect the story to develop alot further within the next few years.

It may only take 90 seconds to get through a chapter at times but IMO it's a great, gripping epic and I can't wait to see what happens next.
On that note chapter 190 is going to come out soon and I can't wait. ;D

D

darkbane

Joseph Smith said:
On that note chapter 190 is going to come out soon and I can't wait. ;D
Better not mention it. ;-)

Breaking the mold should be a prerequisite for good manga anyway, too much stuff out there is predictable and cookie-cutter material. Especially shonen action manga seems to be factory-made ^_^, but some of the more flowery stuff is pretty repetitive too. Both Berserk and GANTZ at least try to be original (and I think suceed well on that point).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Just started reading it after looking at this thread and I have to say that, although extremely graphic and disturbing (which is a plus in my book) it's still nowhere near as good as Berserk. I also heard that ADV is releasing the anime with only 2 episodes per disc, is this true? And is the anime worth picking up at all?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Rhombaad said:
Just started reading it after looking at this thread and I have to say that, although extremely graphic and disturbing (which is a plus in my book) it's still nowhere near as good as Berserk.  I also heard that ADV is releasing the anime with only 2 episodes per disc, is this true?  And is the anime worth picking up at all?
why not? Thats the way it was released in japan.

Top Bottom